No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by mge457 View Post
    Franklin, has there been any consideration to a Black List for original pilots, given how prevalent they now are for getting staffed on a show? Curious if this ever crossed your mind...
    Since the launch of the Black List, there have been requests for a TV Black List. Those requests have increased in recent years.

Without saying too much, stay tuned...

Comment

Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Lastly, keep the questions coming. I'll be in and out of here between now and Monday morning, but I'll be around.

Comment

Thank you for answering all these questions, and for being so classy.
        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I am shocked that this thread is not lit up with questions! So I'll just go ahead ahead and pig out:

Is there an official, or at least central place where I can find some Black List scripts that I can print and read?
          Last edited by Kenneth Fisher; 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM. Reason: I don't type very well.

Comment

Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List.

How close are you to handling TV?

Comment

Hi Leonard,

If I may, I have a question that is not specifically related to the Black List itself but still related to screenwriting itself if that'd be alright...

Recently there have been a few articles or opinion pieces written online in regards to "why movies suck- today.

Some say it's because Hollywood and Co. only care about making money and not the quality of any given project; some say it's the fault of audiences who continue to go out and pay to see seemingly anything that is playing or put in front of them; some say say it's the development-by-committee process practiced at most studios or how marketing has taken such hold of everything; others say it's because the people who are in charge of things now are no longer movie lovers but former Wall St. and corporate professionals with the same chief goals and mindset.

Not many can seem to agree on the why(s), but as someone who has worked in the business for quite a while now I was curious to know, in your opinion, are movies collectively worse or worse off now then they were ten, twenty years ago? Are unique, challenging, daring and emotionally as well as intellectually stimulating films harder than they ever were before to get made, or actually has it always been this way and people are just looking back at the past with "rose-tinted glasses- on or are being too influenced by nostalgia and not remembering the industry's past clearly?

Yes, there have always been bad movies, but are there perhaps more of them being bought as scripts and then made into films today than before?

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth Fisher View Post
                I am shocked that this thread is not lit up with questions! So I'll just go ahead ahead and pig out:

Is there an official, or at least central place where I can find some Black List scripts that I can print and read?
                We are not the rights holder for any of the scripts on the Black List nor have we been given permission by them to make scripts available. Consequently, we do not do so, nor do we point people in their direction.

That said, best of luck.

Comment

Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List.

Originally posted by froonly View Post
                  How close are you to handling TV?
                  Very close.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post

We will be launching a new service next month for aspiring screenwriters. It will not be a "coverage service," per se though I'm not yet ready to reveal exactly what it will be.

Suffice it to say that while it won't be free, it will be far more than "competitive," especially if $1000 is your benchmark.
                    A contest? Note service? The unwashed masses voting on a group of non-professional scripts that will then get noticed by execs?

Hmmm... it's October... patiently waiting...

Comment

Hi Franklin,

As someone whose spec went out wide 6 months ago, I definitely worry that the time-frame is going to work against me.

Do you think we, as writers, should do anything to refresh readers' minds? Or direct our reps to do so?

I don't mean "campaigning" as such. More like... erasing the chronological disadvantage of going wide earlier in the year.

Comment

while i'm here I'll ask you another one ;-)

in the event of a bunch of scripts getting the same amount of votes, how do you decide the order in which the list will be laid out?

I ask because in 2011 there was a huge drop off between the top 5 scripts (40+ votes) and the rest, which were all clumped in groups of 5-6.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                          A contest? Note service? The unwashed masses voting on a group of non-professional scripts that will then get noticed by execs?

Hmmm... it's October... patiently waiting...
                          None of the above.
                          Not too much longer to wait. Not too much longer at all.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
                            Hi Franklin,

As someone whose spec went out wide 6 months ago, I definitely worry that the time-frame is going to work against me.

Do you think we, as writers, should do anything to refresh readers' minds? Or direct our reps to do so?

I don't mean "campaigning" as such. More like... erasing the chronological disadvantage of going wide earlier in the year.
                            I genuinely don't believe that there's a demonstrable disadvantage in your script having gone out six months ago. Perhaps during the first few years of the list, one existed, but now that everyone knows that the list exists and that voting happens at the end of the year, they tend to think very carefully, throughout the year, about which scripts they'll vote for. I happen to know for a fact that at least a half dozen executives keep a running list of probables, and choose from amongst those when the call for votes goes out.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
                              while i'm here I'll ask you another one ;-)

in the event of a bunch of scripts getting the same amount of votes, how do you decide the order in which the list will be laid out?

I ask because in 2011 there was a huge drop off between the top 5 scripts (40+ votes) and the rest, which were all clumped in groups of 5-6.
                              Alphabetical by title of script.

Comment

Note to self: Next script title to start with the letter "A".

Note to Franklin: Thanks very much for coming here to answer questions.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Working...
                                X