Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight Outta Compton

One of the best movies I saw this year. What NWA did for hip-hop and the black community was historical. As a young African-American I can relate to a lot of the struggles and scrunity that they faced. NWA gave us a voice when no one else seemed to care. They shined a light on the hood and bought national attention to the challenges we face. Some of the same challenges we face today. The movie was very hard hitting, edgy, tragic, uplifting, full of bravado and energy. It also wasn't your typical biopic as it explored themes of injustice and the freedom to express yourself. Loved it. Two thumbs way up!
    Last edited by ricther; 08-15-2015, 05:29 PM.

Re: Straight Outta Compton

I'm really looking forward to seeing this! I hear it's doing amazing at the box office, and hurray for that. Warner Bros let it go in turnaround and I bet they're sorry now.

Late Night Writer

Comment

This movie was tremendous. Especially the first 2 acts. The 3rd act isn't as strong, but isn't terrible. But Overall I think the movie is an 8.5 or 9. I'm gonna see it again. So happy that this movie is a breakout hit. 60.5 million. It beat Mission Impossible and Ant-Man. That's f*cking incredible. It shows how much NWA impacted a generation.

Hopefully this movie will make some studios get their head out of their ass and realize, a movie with a mostly black cast can work and have mainstream appeal.

The kid who played EAZY E should be nominated for an Oscar. He killed it.
      Last edited by Deion22; 08-18-2015, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
        I'm really looking forward to seeing this! I hear it's doing amazing at the box office, and hurray for that. Warner Bros let it go in turnaround and I bet they're sorry now.

Late Night Writer

It was actually New Line Cinema.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Warner Bros basically owns New Line. When Warners pulled the plug, Universal picked it up. Regardless -- bad decision on the part of New Line/Warners!

Late Night Writer

Comment

Really enjoyed it. Saw it at a theater here in LA that was completely sold out for every show.

Comment

Saw this tonight... damn! Best movie of the summer. Possibly all year. F*ck, it was amazing. How did they get it so right? Every minute of the story, so right? Well, actually, they were the guys who were there, so they knew every inch of the story... but still, damn! Ice Cube's son is not only the spitting image of his dad, he can act up a storm. And the actor who played Eazy E... OMG. He killed it, brought me to tears, all the actors killed it. The relevance to today, especially the footage of the Rodney King beating... wow. Chills.

Summer movies are usually forgotten by awards season but I hope they remember this one.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Saw this tonight... damn! Best movie of the summer. Possibly all year. F*ck, it was amazing. How did they get it so right? Every minute of the story, so right? Well, actually, they were the guys who were there, so they knew every inch of the story... but still, damn! Ice Cube's son is not only the spitting image of his dad, he can act up a storm. And the actor who played Eazy E... OMG. He killed it, brought me to tears, all the actors killed it. The relevance to today, especially the footage of the Rodney King beating... wow. Chills.
                well, not quite EVERYTHING.

Rodney King beating yes, Dre beating his women . . . less so

http://gawker.com/heres-whats-missin...and-1724735910

Comment

The domestic violence thing isn't getting any traction. Not because no one knows about it, but because they don't care.

There seems to be (to me) an element of Emperor's New Clothes going on here, or maybe that episode of the Twilight Zone where that family let the kid do anything he wanted because they we afraid he would send them to the cornfield if they didn't.

I totally get the commercial appeal of both NWA's music and the movie, and I don't begrudge anyone involved their success. American culture and media has always been driven by violent, sexualized, anti-establishment images and themes.

What I don't get is how anyone would consider these people (by these people I mean rappers whose lyrics mirror their real life exploits, and whose drug profits are laundered through the record companies) role models or idols.

At first I thought that this was just a by-product of the 80’s, some residual after-effect of Watts and Rodney King and the Rampart scandal and everything else, but it’s not.

I saw in the paper today that some rapper named Fetty Wap is playing a free concert for the high school kids in his hometown next week, because he’s such an ‘inspiration’.

His song lyrics are primarily about using drugs, dealing drugs, b*tches and hos, and valuing money alone above all other things.

If that’s the message we are promoting to kids, I’d say we are getting near the end of the human experiment.

Comment

Kintnerboy and JoeBanks -- perhaps you should see the movie first before passing judgment. The film deals with origins of the music and the world of hopelessness, repression, and police brutality that it grew out of. It started as an authentic expression of rebellion against an oppressive system that offered no viable opportunities for young black men. It does not shy away from showing the brutality of that world or the repercussions. In fact, there's a lot less glorification of bad behavior than in the average episode of "Entourage."

Late Night Writer

Comment

Kintnerboy and JoeBanks -- perhaps you should see the movie first before passing judgment. The film deals with origins of the music and the world of hopelessness, repression, and police brutality that it grew out of. It started as an authentic expression of rebellion against an oppressive system that offered no viable opportunities for young black men. It does not shy away from showing the brutality of that world or the repercussions. In fact, there's a lot less glorification of bad behavior than in the average episode of "Entourage."

Late Night Writer

It's not so much about the glorification of bad behavior to me, as it is the overt hypocrisy in things that everyone's too afraid to talk about.

I grew up in northern New Jersey, where there are probably more ghettos and rappers than in southern California, and 25 years ago one of those rappers (Treach) said:

If you aint never been to the ghetto,
                      Don't ever come to the ghetto,
                      Because you wouldn't understand the ghetto,
                      So stay the f*ck out of the ghetto

And that mentality still holds true today.

But you can't tell me I should stay out, and then complain that there's no money or jobs.

You can't tell me I wouldn't understand, and then tell me I need to have more empathy.

The double standard of the whole thing just gives me a headache, is all, and that's all I'll have to say about it.

Comment

Kintnerboy, you are totally entitled to your opinion, and I would prefer to limit discussion to the film and not extend it to politics or sociology. However, I realize that with this film it's impossible -- so we shouldn't continue the discussion along these lines. All I will say is that I do not believe it is fair to reference the four lines of rap that you quote as representative of an entire "mentality." For me, that runs the risk of falling into the trap of victim-blaming. (BTW, I live in a densely populated, multicultural urban city.)

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                          I grew up in northern New Jersey, where there are probably more ghettos and rappers than in southern California, and 25 years ago one of those rappers (Treach) said:

If you aint never been to the ghetto,
                          Don't ever come to the ghetto,
                          Because you wouldn't understand the ghetto,
                          So stay the f*ck out of the ghetto

And that mentality still holds true today.
                          *sighs* *shakes head*
                          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

All I will say is that I do not believe it is fair to reference the four lines of rap that you quote as representative of an entire "mentality." For me, that runs the risk of falling into the trap of victim-blaming. (BTW, I live in a densely populated, multicultural urban city.
                            I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that it's just four lines of one song or one rapper. I could find you hundreds of examples if I had the time or the interest (I don't).

And you're right, this is not the time or the place for that.

My main point about Straight Outta Compton remains the same. These people are not heros or role models of any kind, unless they are examples of what not to be.

I suppose you could call them a success story, but only if cash money is your only measuring stick.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                              *sighs* *shakes head*
                              'smh' is the battle cry of a generation of people who have nothing of substance to say about anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X