Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Draft 9 update killed program

So Final Draft released an update today and, being a trusting idiot, I went ahead and automatically installed it.

Then it wouldn't even launch. I'm on location for a film and going to set in an hour and their @#@&^$ update killed my primary tool!!!!!

Then, to make matters even better, their website email support tool won't work. I fill in all the information on their form, hit the SEND button, and nothing happens.

What a cluster****.

And there's no other way to email them and their chat service is offline for the weekend.

What a double cluster****!

Anyway, on the off chance that someone there actually reads something somewhere on the internet or cares remotely about customer support I'm putting the thing I would have sent to their web form here:

I downloaded the automatic update today (10-4-2015) and now Final Draft 9 won't even launch! I'm on location shooting a film and I can't even do rewrites!!!!!!!!!

It gets to the administrator permissions screen, I hit OK, then nothing happens.

However, I just ran the compatibility troubleshooter on launch and it opened. Need to go to set now so if you have any questions I I have other issues I'll respond late tonight.

For others who run into a similar problem, as I say above, I was able to resolve on my own by right-clicking the icon and using Windows' compatibility troubleshooter.
    Steven Palmer Peterson

Re: Final Draft 9 update killed program

You were running under Windows 10?

Comment

I'm using Windows 7 at the moment and ran the update to see what would happen, and all worked fine, actually.

Per Dango's note, if you are using Windows/Windows 10 and that is possibly the issue, you might be able to right click on the program icon and run it in a capability mode for "Windows 7," for example. Could possibly help for now.
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Seriously, you should consider spending the $49.95 for Fade In. You can download it in a matter of seconds.

It will flawlessly import your Final Draft .fdx files (including your script notes).

It will let you export back to Final Draft .fdx, including any notes that you have made in Fade In.

Even if you do not want to use Fade In all the time, it is great to have. I use it exclusively now. However, when someone sends a script to me in Final Draft, I can import it as I described.

I have been reading a script for a friend (in .fdx) and offering some comments and minor revisions. I import everything into Fade In, do my work in Fade In, and then export back to Final Draft. It works fine.

At least you would have some insurance against the situation that you find yourself in now.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
          I have been reading a script for a friend (in .fdx) and offering some comments and minor revisions. I import everything into Fade In, do my work in Fade In, and then export back to Final Draft. It works fine.
          You know, that's the ONE THING I actually prefer Final Draft for. The fact that you can pull up the comments in a separate window and then sort and colour code them makes it easy when you're sending things back and forth.

Comment

I've been using FADE IN on my Android phones for ages. Solid.
            But I do use FINAL DRAFT when I am on my computer.

Comment

I'm bout to get a new computer. With Windows 10. Is there a compatibility problem between Windows 10 and Final Draft 9?

Comment

Our tests have shown no operational issues with Final Draft 9.0.8 running on Windows 10. Read more here: http://kb.finaldraft.com/article/100...-on-windows-10

Comment

Working...
                X