Forgive me if this is a silly question...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgive me if this is a silly question...

But what would a screenwriter's writing CV look like? I mean - do we list the scripts we've done or are currently working on? Or would it just involve the writing-related jobs we've done. With only two script reading internships under my belt that's all I've got.

I've done my research into what a freelance writer's CV looks like - but I mean, what would a screenwriter's CV with no professional credits look like?

Any help is much appreciated,
    THD

Re: Forgive me if this is a silly question...

This by no means the do all, die all example but here is something you can at least look at for possibly some ideas:

http://www.donedealpro.com/members/d...&section_id=13

And there are various examples of script writers' resumes out there as well. Here is just one of a few:

https://www.greatsampleresume.com/re...screen-writer/

You could include bits of info on all the scripts you have ever written, of course, to fill the page out a little: Title, logline, genre. List any writing assignments for producers or directors, even if the script wasn't produced "yet."

Also, a general summary of who you are as a writer, your interests, what you feel like you bring to the table, and so on could be included at the top. You reading internships aren't writing jobs but at this point I'd say include them in whatever detail you can since it should indicate that you have read scripts, analyzed them and thus might have a better understanding of how they are put together than your average Joe. (No offense to any Joes out there, of course.)

If you need to pad a bit still, you could possibly list the software you work with FD, Screenwriter 6, Fade In, Celtx, Highland, Word, etc. Include college education, if you attended. Any contest wins or placements.

To me, resumes for script writers generally seems a bit unnecessary since really your scripts should do all the talking; but hopefully some of the above can help in some fashion.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Hi Done Deal Pro,

Thanks for your help. Some really great links and insight there.

I agree about writing doing the talking. Notably, I've noticed it's a lot of the British agencies who are asking for a writing CV or cover.

Anyways, looks like I need to rewrite my CV.

Cheers,
      TDH

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Horse View Post
        I agree about writing doing the talking. Notably, I've noticed it's a lot of the British agencies who are asking for a writing CV or cover.
        You are most welcome and completely understand about agents & managers doing some "vetting" and research on a writer that way.
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

A piece of paper? How about on-line:

why-you-need-a-screenwriter-website/

The example that the author provides is nice and clean. My own is a clunker, but at least it's all on one page and I can maintain the content myself. I also provide links to the more sophisticated versions on LinkedIn, Amazon and ScriptRevolution (and maybe IMDB someday!), where web programmers far better than I have done all the work. And I've always liked Lauri Donohoe's.

The key is, you don't need a dozen or more screenplays as content. It just needs to look professional or at least clean. (Unless you merely want to overwhelm with quantity, as I'm stuck doing - and also because I'm too cheap/poor to pay for anything fancier)

But a webpage content that consists of two or three finished feature scripts, a couple of shorts, each with a graphic image that's pretty easy to find on-line, maybe a link to a finished short film up on YouTube, and possibly a blog to illustrate your intelligence (hopefully), not to mention the usual relevant awards and education etc. is all you really need.

In fact, if a beginner's website is TOO fancy, it might come across as pretentious.

In any event, it makes sense for all of us to have reserved our name/domain name, so why not put something up there as a placeholder - even if at first it's just a virtual copy of a paper resume?
          Last edited by catcon; 06-24-2019, 07:35 AM. Reason: Added IMDB reference!

Comment

I kinda don't get this...

I've never heard of an agent or manager wanting a CV. I've never been asked for one. Have any of you?

I think it would be better to just have a website with your BIO (so that it pops up when they google you, cuz they probably will). A rad one, written well, explaining all the non-writer stuff you've done. I strongly suspect agents and managers would want to meet you far more based on that vs a (boring) list of screenwriting accomplishments. They've already seen it all, heard it all. They already have clients with rad credits far better than yours (I'll assume), it's doubtful you'll top that and impress them. What they'll find far more engaging is a way to SELL you. An interesting backstory.

...Just my opinion.
            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
              I've never heard of an agent or manager wanting a CV. I've never been asked for one. Have any of you?...
              Never.

As an aside though, I do wonder if, as the OP mentions re: reps in the U.K., that across the pond they're more interested in a resume type of web presence. I do get a disproportionate number of U.K. clicks off my queries, viewing my website. But that could be from a number of factors: eg. they're more willing to check out the Indie-class of stuff I pitch, vs. HW etc.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                Never.

As an aside though, I do wonder if, as the OP mentions re: reps in the U.K., that across the pond they're more interested in a resume type of web presence. I do get a disproportionate number of U.K. clicks off my queries, viewing my website. But that could be from a number of factors: eg. they're more willing to check out the Indie-class of stuff I pitch, vs. HW etc.
                Ahhh... True. Good point! Didn't think of that.
                Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Working...
                X