Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Franklin Leonard

Thank you guys. Yeah this is my first meeting so I'll be a little nervous but I feel pretty decent about it. Hopefully it turns into something but if not at least I'm on the way.

Good thing about the cussing too. Haha.

Comment

The things I said in meetings would get be cancelled on social media. But I didn't do that in every meeting... just most!

Be yourself. Unless yourself is a racist jerk. Than be someone else.

Comment

Lol. I'm not worried about that. I'm sure I'm less extroverted than you or especially Gucci so I might be a little antsy but I don't expect worse than that. Maybe an awkward pause or two. If I'm lucky I'll vibe pretty well with this person.

Comment

Honestly I'm a nervous anxiety mess. So you're already winning. It's all easy from my couch.

Comment

Haha. Me too honestly. I just try to bury it.

Comment

Ha! Same... I'm nervous-ish. But I hype myself up and shake most of it off.

You'll do great!
              Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                Haha. Me too honestly. I just try to bury it.
                Do you workout? Whenever I have these kinds of meetings, I get up at 6 a.m. and hit a spin class, or something beforehand.

I don't know if this works for other people.

When I got my manager, he met me for breakfast and I was so nervous I almost spilled my coffee. It felt like a first date. At the end he said, I'd like to work with you -- and took me on as a client. After I had to hide my shaking during breakfast. Also, I got in a fight with the guy I was seeing at the time (who lived in LA and who I was staying with). He drove me to the breakfast and we simmer-fought the whole way. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Knock 'em dead!
                Last edited by lostfootage; 09-23-2019, 07:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                  Do you workout? Whenever I have these kinds of meetings, I get up at 6 a.m. and hit a spin class, or something beforehand.

I don't know if this works for other people.

When I got my manager, he met me for breakfast and I was so nervous I almost spilled my coffee. It felt like a first date. At the end he said, I'd like to work with you -- and took me on as a client. After I had to hide my shaking during breakfast. Also, I got in a fight with the guy I was seeing at the time (who lived in LA and who I was staying with). He drove me to the breakfast and we simmer-fought the whole way. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Knock 'em dead!

Ahhhh... yeah simmer fighting before a meeting, that's a hell of a way to walk into a meeting. PISSED! HAHA!

Your coffee aspect reminds me of a story: So, this was early on in the process. I'd met with the showrunners maybe once previously. We were having breakfast. Me, the two showrunners and a producer. Suddenly the female showrunner began choking on her breakfast. I'm sure she was mortified. She's supposed to be the one not nervous and in an instant she's morbidly embarrassed. She kept trying to talk over her coking as if "I'm supposed to be the big dog professional here, I'll get it together." I could tell it wasn't life threatening so I said "Don't talk. Just, take your time to cough it up. You'll be alright in a second. It's happened to all of us."

I continued the convo acting like it wasn't a big deal while she coughed and gaged. I think me directing the focus away from her at that moment made her less embarrassed. Once she got it together she's like "Omg, I don't what happened! I'm so sorry." I was like "Don't be sorry. I've choked on crap so many friggin times. I'm surprised I haven't already choked on some crap today." Then I laughed. I think that broke the tension. Then we moved on with the meeting.

POINT: They're real people too.
                  Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                    POINT: They're real people too.
                    Ha! Only when they're choking... No, just kidding! That's a good story.

If we could only have a reel of these first meetings to use as a training film. I'm sure other people have some good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                      Spin class?

I assume it's some kind of exercise, but I keep imagining something for people who handle politicians.
                      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Gucci pretty much nailed it. And Bono brought up a great point about what movies/shows you're watching. Def prepare a list of both (don't go crazy; 3-4 is fine). And they don't have to be narrative. If you're super into watching The Great British Bake Off, mention that. You'd be surprised how many times you'll run into people who say they haven't been watching Ozark because they're hooked on Vanderpump Rules.

Also have ready 2-3 really solid ideas that you want to write. And it wouldn't hurt to have ideas for both features and TV. There's so much crossover now it's almost expected that you'll be dipping your toes into both waters.

And speaking of water, make sure to ask for room temperature. You don't want the condensation from cold water dripping all over the place.

I think we've got you covered. Once you go on a bunch of these, you'll see that they all fall into a similar pattern and they're suddenly not a big deal. Go on enough, and you'll even start to get sick of them. But go on them you must, because you never know where they're going to lead.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                          Thank you guys. Yeah this is my first meeting so I'll be a little nervous but I feel pretty decent about it. Hopefully it turns into something but if not at least I'm on the way.

Good thing about the cussing too. Haha.
                          It's already turned into something... a new contact. I'm sure you'll do fine.

If you can do any research on the person(s) you're meeting, do so, you never know when an opportunity to connect with them on a creative or personal level might come up.

If they're on social media it can be very informative.

Gucci, great story on how to make a person feel comfortable in a very awkward situation.

lostfootage, spin class at 6 am, holy ****, you're a beast-- I'm pretty sure I'd blackout. haha. Props to you.

Go in there and CRUSH IT!
                          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

My manager set it so my first general was with a close friend exec that he could trust, knew she was the most chill. And it was. After an hour of bs'ing on her couch drinking coffee I realized:

1) These are normal people who are fans of YOU

2) I'm in a business meeting and I'm totally 100% engaged and not thinking of how to break some aspect of story while someone drones on about product roadmaps, SaaS offerings, or quarterly revenue projections. Guess what? You're job for those forty five minutes is to talk about movies and TV. There's a famous NFL Films clip of Bill Parcells coaching the Giants and he says to the bench at one critical point "This is why you lift all them weights." And this is why you watched all those shows, made all those pages. If you aren't going in there to be yourself and crush it, the hell was the point of it all?

And this was all after I was locked out of the building and couldn't get up the elevator because it was the 9:00 Monday morning slot and I was sweating like the proverbial whore in church because I couldn't get in contact with anyone. But once you realize no one cares about anything like that, it's great.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                              Gucci pretty much nailed it. And Bono brought up a great point about what movies/shows you're watching. Def prepare a list of both (don't go crazy; 3-4 is fine). And they don't have to be narrative. If you're super into watching The Great British Bake Off, mention that. You'd be surprised how many times you'll run into people who say they haven't been watching Ozark because they're hooked on Vanderpump Rules.

Also have ready 2-3 really solid ideas that you want to write. And it wouldn't hurt to have ideas for both features and TV. There's so much crossover now it's almost expected that you'll be dipping your toes into both waters.

And speaking of water, make sure to ask for room temperature. You don't want the condensation from cold water dripping all over the place.

I think we've got you covered. Once you go on a bunch of these, you'll see that they all fall into a similar pattern and they're suddenly not a big deal. Go on enough, and you'll even start to get sick of them. But go on them you must, because you never know where they're going to lead.

Good luck!
                              I was with you until you had a specific water order. NO. They offer you water or sometimes coffee or other drinks. Just say water. Don't have a Diva order. It's just sometimes you'll go for like 10 meetings in one day and you have to pee and you don't even want the water anymore, but saying no is too awkward so you just take it even if you don't drink it.

Don't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                I was with you until you had a specific water order. NO. They offer you water or sometimes coffee or other drinks. Just say water. Don't have a Diva order. It's just sometimes you'll go for like 10 meetings in one day and you have to pee and you don't even want the water anymore, but saying no is too awkward so you just take it even if you don't drink it.

Don't be a problem.
                                LOL, that's not a diva order. It's straight up practical. They don't care and can usually accommodate. And if they can't, you say no problem and deal. I just don't want to deal with water dripping all over the place, including on me.

Comment

Working...
                                X