Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder why Hollywood cinema is becoming bad

We, Europeans, wonder why Hollywood cinema is becoming bad, why there are no new ideas, why only similar trite content movies, which very often are childish and naive and which can wake people up only using special effects are being created? Sometimes while watching movie it becomes clear that the author of the movie providing people with some advertised "masterpiece" treats you as an idiot, ads fool who does not understand what is meaning a cherished plot, original idea and its professional implementation. Maybe one of the reasons is poor work of Hollywood literature agents, whereas for beginners, who have big unique ideas, it is very difficult to make their way and the queries they sent are pushing out even without reading them? Most of agents are spoilt, hopeless, passive, like fat ladies and they serve only their friends who probably lost their creative potency. How to change the established methods, how to make a positive influence on the quality of Hollywood filmmaking?

Re: Wonder why Hollywood cinema is becoming bad

Originally posted by arnoldastupac View Post
    We, Europeans, wonder why Hollywood cinema is becoming bad, why there are no new ideas, why only similar trite content movies, which very often are childish and naive and which can wake people up only using special effects are being created? Sometimes while watching movie it becomes clear that the author of the movie providing people with some advertised "masterpiece" treats you as an idiot, ads fool who does not understand what is meaning a cherished plot, original idea and its professional implementation. Maybe one of the reasons is poor work of Hollywood literature agents, whereas for beginners, who have big unique ideas, it is very difficult to make their way and the queries they sent are pushing out even without reading them? Most of agents are spoilt, hopeless, passive, like fat ladies and they serve only their friends who probably lost their creative potency. How to change the established methods, how to make a positive influence on the quality of Hollywood filmmaking?
    I've always heard the overseas market prefers the big budget special effects crap...Easier to sell I guess...Smart movies get made, you just don't get to see them.

Comment

arnoldastupac,

Please post the query letter that you have sent to the agents you refer to above - it sounds like you are attempting to sell a new and exciting idea - then we can all help you with your query letter and it's intended targets! I know that big and fresh ideas are what Steven and Jerry are always looking for! Good luck!

Comment

Is it becoming bad?

You may think so, but most Europeans would disagree.

Here's an article rom a couple of days ago about how in Spain, they hate Spanish films (boring) and love Hollywood movies (exciting):
        http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070612/film_nm/spain_dc_1

And if you look at the movies that people are lining up to see in Europe, well, they are not European movies. Hollywood is having a record breaking year so far... in Europe. Even places like France that have quotas to keep out American films and create favorable conditions for French films - more people are seeing American films (and liking them) than French films.

You may not like Hollywood films, but most Europeans do. Most Europeans would rather see a Hollywood movies than a home grown movie - and most Europeans *choose* a Hollywood movie over a home grown one. Look at the territory box office charts. Hollywood movies are just more exciting and interesting. They are made as an escape for the audience.

When Luc Besson makes a French film that offers an escape for the audience, his French film is what people in France want to see. So it's not because the film is American that it's successful in Europe, it's because the film offers an escape, and interesting idea, and amazing visuals. It is a fantasy. Movies are fantasy.

Agents are not the problem - though you may think they are your problem. Agnets do not control what producers buy, or what they do with the material after they buy it. Most agents are *not* looking for new clients.

I would suggest you start at home - look at your country's film industry and make contacts and sell your material to producers in your country. That way language and translation are not factors, and you can actually meet people face to face. Luc Besson has done very well in France, somewhere in your country is someone like him.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I understand about you are talking. I am not writer, i represent writer. But we are seeking representation in Hollywood. We want to have a man who knows how to do that job.

Author films is to big and to strong for create these in our country. Author treatments is unique. Becouse we know what creating Hollywood. These author treatments is amazing. We whant to show them to Spielberg or Jerry Br. If you now how them to say about this author and him treatments, we can contact with you. We still not untested work with Hollywood.

I now about people unbielief about unique treatments who can come in Hollywood from europe. And then to see these project Spielberg or Jerry Br can do all to create these unique treatments. They don't unloose this treatments, they do enything to do these. But how to show them this treatments? Send query letter? Call them companies? What to do, how to show them?

They looking for good ideas. But they dont understand about that if these ideas come from europe.

Tell something good how to do theat.

My english is not good. Sorry. But we if you can help can talk or chat.

Comment

You wouldn't happen to represent a writer by the name of sevoo, would you?

Comment

If you represent the writer - an agent - it should be easy to contact an Ameriacn agency through your agency. They should read that letter or take that phone call or read that e-mail.

But I do not understand why the script is too big to be made in your country. A good *idea* doesn't require a large budget - the *idea* is what is interesting. A movie like THE MATRIX could have worked without all of the expensive action scenes - the *idea* that the world we live in is not real is strong enough. The movie PRIMER about time travel was made for $7,000 US. A great *idea* stands on its own and doesn't require a large budget (though it may help). The *idea* for BLAIR WITCH PROJECT - that it was a real documentary found after the filmmakers died - is what made that film successful on a $35,000 US budget. In another thread I mentioned NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - made for around $1 million US (with stars in the cast) - that has a great idea! A killer who enters your dreams. That film could have been made for much less - the idea of the killer in your dreams costs nothing... it is just an idea. The dreams in the movie just showed actors on a set with strange lighting. Even the special effects were simple in that movie - when Freddy has a long arm, it is just a stick with a hand on the end. The *idea* that his arm could grow was scary.

I would get your writer to write a screenplay with a great idea - an idea that is so good, the script will cost little to make. Then I would approach producers in your country.

In America, the language will be a problem. You will have trouble finding an agent to represent the screenplay because it will not have American sounding dialogue and may be difficult to understand.

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:

Comment

Him project is very big and unique. From his treatments to do script is very simple. If you can help to represent writer to Hollywood, write me and we can talk about that.

Comment

Hollywood players are going to give you the same advice as Bill did, only they won't be as patient with you.

Their first question would be, "What have you done in your own country that justifies the risk of a large investment?"

If your answer is, "We had the number two film for seven weeks running, and won all of our country's major film awards," then somebody in Ho' town will be willing to take you seriously.

If your answer is, "We've got big ideas. Really, really, really big ideas! Did I mention they were big? The ideas, I mean," the only attention you'll get is from con men.

(If you're trolling, I'd imagine you're having a good laugh at our collective expense. Artfully done.)
                  If you really like it you can have the rights
                  It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Hollywood makes the kind of movies that people pay to see. Why bother to make BABEL or THE GOOD SHEPHERD when you can crank out another hollow comic book flick and reap huge box office rewards?

The reason Hollywood pumps out so much trash is because people pay to see it. This is business. Decisions are dictated by dollars and cents. Artistic merit is only a minor consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by mason
                      Unfortunately that doesn't hold water considering the fact that 8 out of 10 movies lose money.
                      The fact that many major studio movies flop doesn't disprove the idea that studios make the movies that they think people will pay to see.

When an executive gives a movie the green light, he's probably not thinking, 'Wow, this project is going to bomb historically, but I'm really proud to risk my neck for it because it's exceedingly artistic and innovative.' He's thinking, 'This thing is going to make truckloads of money and help my career.'

I'm not saying there isn't a place for great work. I'm just saying that greatness isn't the goal of the average major Hollywood movie production. Profit is the goal. Profit considerations drive the creative decisions.

Comment

I think the real argument here should be about his comment regarding fat ladies. I've met some who are anything but passive.

Comment

I actually think the ex-Soviet countries are more commercial oriented than Western Europe - just because they're scrambling to stay afloat. So we get Russian horror movies here, and the cheapest place to shoot movies is usually some Eastern European studio. Check the credits on those cheesey Sci-Fi Channel monster movies.

If this person (or this person's client - depends on which thread you read) has a more commercial style script, then they will probably have to find private funds (rather than state funds) whether that's in the USA or their country.

I think they will have a much better chance in their country, due to language issues. If I have trouble understanding the post, a US agent or producer will have trouble with the query letter and probably just toss it aside, just as they say. But a local producer who speaks their native language would be able to do something - either find investors or even submit the project to the government for funding.

- Bill

PS for Fat Ladies: Never a good plan to trash talk the people you want to sell something to.
                          Free Script Tips:

Comment

The original poster is complaining that H'wood cinema is "becoming bad" that's why he wants to sell his GOOD idea to the producer of Kangaroo Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by mason
                              Unfortunately that doesn't hold water considering the fact that 8 out of 10 movies lose money.
                              And yet people in the film business consistently make loads of money. Hollywood does make movies that people will pay to see, or those folks wouldn't be making money.

Also, the number you throw out is pretty much meaningless. Eighty percent of which movies? All movies made? All movies made by traditional movie studios? All movies made by people living within five miles of the Beverly Center? All movies made in Pakistan?

Comment

Working...
                              X