No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A finders fee agreement?

Originally posted by 5townsguy View Post
    This guy is an aquaintance of my writing partner on the project. He showed the script to a boutique production house...without my knowledge. My partner may have okayed him to do it, but I didn't press the matter with him. Yet!
    My partner and I met him for coffee. He told us that this particular Prodco liked the script (a pilot for TV) and wanted to shop it. He then told us that he wanted a finders fee or agreement of some kind BEFORE he set up a meet with the dudes at the Prodco.
    I've roughed out one, sent it to my partner who will send it on to him. This is totally separate from any shop agreement that would have to be drawn up with the Prodco.
    I'm not really pleased with the guy's m.o., but if it is for real and we get the meet and then the SA...
    That's about it, so far. Anymore thoughts?
    Yeah.

F him.

Unless your partner made an agreement with him beforehand. Talk to your writing partner first. I mean, even still your writing partner doesn't have the ability to make that sort of deal without your consent, but really - why aren't you talking to your writing partner about this?

You don't need him to set up the meeting with the prodco. Call them yourself. Say, "Hi. We wrote such-and-such, and we think we should get together and see if we're a good fit."

Again, what is he asking for?

Before running around looking for paperwork, you NEGOTIATE. You talk to the guy, find out what he's asking for. I would send him an email saying, "What do you think would be appropriate?" long before going to any sort of paperwork.

I mean, I'm still probably going to say F him - with the difference being if your writer promised him something or not - but I want to know what his angle in.

Again, and you didn't answr this - WHAT IS HIS LEVEL OF INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE? WHO IS HE, IN THE BUSINESS?

IT's really hard to give you good advice when you don't seem to be willing to give us much information.

It sounds like you're a total newbie when it comes to the business side of things. All I can say is: don't sign anything, don't agree to anything, get a lawyer.

Free legal advice on the internet from non lawyers is worth exactly what you pay for it, so it's hard for me to give you specifics. I'm not a lawyer.

But this smells really really rotten, and I don't understand why he needs you. You know the name of the prodco - you can call them.

I don't trust this guy any further than I can throw him.

Why are you sending him paperwork when you can't tell us what he's asking for in any sort of specifics?

This is madness. You're going to get f'd.

And the reason you're going to get f'd is because you're not communicating with your writing partner and you're impatient. You're in a rush and you're not taking the time to listen to the advice you're getting before acting.

Comment

I also wonder why the hell you were the one roughing up paperwork for his approval rather than vice versa.

He wants a deal. You don't. Why did you start doing the legwork?

Ug. The more I think about this the more I hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
        I also wonder why the hell you were the one roughing up paperwork for his approval rather than vice versa.

He wants a deal. You don't. Why did you start doing the legwork?

Ug. The more I think about this the more I hate it.
        Agreed. Fuck this dude.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
          After reading threads like this, I usually review The HW Minefield to wrap my head around how this business works.
          I think that is the most unwittingly hilarious website I have ever read; it also explains so much about your posts. Thank you for the link.

Comment

I'm taking some of the advise. First meet with my writing partner, then get the finder's guy to explicitly state what he wants either by email or... At least that way I can show it to a lawyer and/or this board. Thanx for the wake up call!

Comment

This guy is an aquaintance of my writing partner on the project. He showed the script to a boutique production house...without my knowledge. My partner may have okayed him to do it, but I didn't press the matter with him. Yet!
              My partner and I met him for coffee. He told us that this particular Prodco liked the script (a pilot for TV) and wanted to shop it. He then told us that he wanted a finders fee or agreement of some kind BEFORE he set up a meet with the dudes at the Prodco.
              I've roughed out one, sent it to my partner who will send it on to him. This is totally separate from any shop agreement that would have to be drawn up with the Prodco.
              I'm not really pleased with the guy's m.o., but if it is for real and we get the meet and then the SA...
              That's about it, so far. Anymore thoughts?
              I just read this. He sounds like the sort of guy you don't want to do business with. What he's doing is more like blackmail than business. My gut reaction is to tell him to forget it - thanks, but no thanks. Someone earlier suggested treating him to a meal or a good bottle of wine - a reasonable person would be happy with that.

How sure are you about his claims? Remember, boutique prodcos look at lots of stuff they like and try to shop but rarely does it result in anything. If you really want to follow it through ask him to draft an agreement for a finder's fee and when you agree on an amount tell him it becomes payable when the production goes ahead and you receive your first check. Offer him 5 percent of your fee for one episode or the pilot. Make sure that agreement specifies that the finder's fee is the absolute end of his involvement. I mean, what has he really done for you so far, apart from hold you to ransom? Personally I think he's being a complete jerk about this. Sheesh...
              "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

It's been awhile since my last post. But your replies were spot on. Now, I've had the meet with the Prod. Company. Basically, they want me to give them an idea on the points below so they can pass it on to their attorney and counter. What they offer basically is to pass the script on to three entities (all major studios) and set up a pitch meet. At least that's how I remember him phrasing it. They would not be involved in producing or financing the script in any way. It seems they would act as any agent or manager would. Number (4) is what I find totally weird, especially if that's all thy're doing for the project. Any comments would be helpful.

1. Length of Shopping Agreement.
                2. Owners and Addresses of the material.
                3. Any special terms you would like for us to present.
                4. % of Ownership of the Project

Comment

I'll be honest. This all seems very sketchy. What kind of producer sets up a project without wanting to be attached to produce?

And, no, they don't get any "ownership" of your script for simply submitting to studios. Unless this is a termed option agreement.

But they don't want to produce...

Be careful.

Comment

Number (4) is what I find totally weird, especially if that's all thy're doing for the project. Any comments would be helpful.

1. Length of Shopping Agreement.
                    2. Owners and Addresses of the material.
                    3. Any special terms you would like for us to present.
                    4. % of Ownership of the Project
                    You should just try and ask for clarification rather than assuming or wondering. I had a producer ask me some broad question like that over email once, asked him to elaborate and he did. Boom.
                    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I've just fired off an email asking the producer to elaborate on the % of ownership. I'm begining to think he's being purposefully sketchy so that I make the first step in this. Thanks to all.

Comment

yea, it's always chess, never checkers.
                        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Yeah, something smells fishy.
                          http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Thanx to all who gave me advice. I made it known to the Prod. Company that I would not give away any % of ownership and they bailed. Just as well. Next!

Comment

Thanx to all who gave me advice. I made it known to the Prod. Company that I would not give away any % of ownership and they bailed. Just as well. Next!
                              Well damn, that was quick. Sounds like my situation a few months ago. Keep grinding. Good luck.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                              X