X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I write camera motion?

Hello all,

I need to convey camera motion in a script to show the proximity between two characters. I want to show my protag walking down a busy street and then zoom to the top of the block and show that he's being followed by the antagonist.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Second Draft = First Draft less 10%
    -Stephen King

Re: how do I write camera motion?

Originally posted by canusaycarpaltunnel View Post
    Hello all,

I need to convey camera motion in a script to show the proximity between two characters. I want to show my protag walking down a busy street and then zoom to the top of the block and show that he's being followed by the antagonist.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Well, unless you're directing this yourself, I would advise you to omit specific camera directions.

If this is a spec script, try to keep these to an absolute minimum.

I don't really see what the problem is here.

Your protagonist is walking down the street. He's being followed from a distance by someone else.

That's all you need to say.

So something like this:

Jack (or whatever his name is) strides down the busy street. Making sure to keep his distance, George tails him from up the street, keeping him in his sights.
    http://www.funminecraftservers.com/

Comment

Camera indications are often included in the action paragraph, in caps.

In your particular case, if you must specify the shot for some reason, you could try with a shot heading:

NEW ANGLE - FROM THE TOP OF THE BLOCK

or something like that.

Comment

Hello all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks
        Seriously? My suggestion would be to not do it. In the last dozen scripts I've written I've never included a single camera direction, except one assignment that was one of those "Live home video POV" pain-in-the-neck things where you had to describe everything that way.

But a standard narrative film? I never describe zooms or tracking shots or close shots or anything like that.

NMS

Comment

Re: How do I write camera motion?

Here's how they do a similar thing in Godfather II (apologies for crazy format).

But as the other folks have said, I'd think really really long on whether you actually need to specify this...

Code:
          EXT. FESTA STREET - MED. VIEW - NIGHT

By now the musicians have left, but 
          still families are
          walking the street, and stopping at the 
          booths.

Fanucci stands there a moment; he is known by everyone, 
          and
          considers himself highly loved.

Then Fanucci begins the walk 
          through the festa, on his way
          home.

EXT. ROOFTOPS - MOVING VIEW - 
          NIGHT

Vito silently moves along the rooftop; paralleling Fanucci's
          walk.

We HEAR the sounds of the festa, and every so often 
          catch a
          glimpse of the patterned lights, and the crowds below.

EXT. 
          FESTA STREETS - MOVING VIEW ON FANUCCI - NIGHT

walking through the 
          crowded streets.  The statue of San
          Gennaro is arranged in some midnight 
          religious ceremony.

The VIEW LIFTS UP, to the rooftops.

EXT. THE 
          ROOFTOPS - NIGHT

Vito makes the leap that separates two buildings; 
          then
          crosses toward the large skylight in the center of 
          the
          building.

EXT. THE STREETS - NIGHT

The procession in the 
          streets is preceded by ten altar boys;
          and the glittering Monstrance, 
          something of an altar carried
          out into the streets.

The priest begins 
          this nocturnal service, as the crowds in
          the street kneel down in 
          prayer.

INT. FANUCCI'S BUILDING - NIGHT

Fanucci unlocks the door 
          to his building; we can HEAR the
          services in the background.

EXT. THE 
          ROOFTOP - NIGHT

Vito tries the trap door on the roof; it is stuck 
          firmly
          shut; despite Clemenza's instructions.  He struggles with
          it, 
          but no luck.
          My stuff

Comment

You shouldn't write camera motion; you may imply camera motion by the way you write. Unless you're going to direct.

Jon Jay's example is of The Godfather II, which was co-written by the director.

NMS said it all.
            Last edited by RG55; 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM. Reason: word

Comment

EXT. STREET - DAY

Jack weaves his way through the multitude of people; at the top of block, a figure follows in his wake. It is George.

Still up to the director to decide if he makes a zoom, a cut, or just stays with the shot until George walks closer.

Comment

I need to....
                I want to....
                Whether you should write specific camera directions in a script you're not going to direct depends on which of your two verbs really applies in this situation.

There are plenty of camera setups that heighten tension by showing that, unbeknownst to our hero, he's being tailed. An over the shoulder shot that shifts focus, a crane that zooms up, a static shot of a doorway they each pass by moments apart, a second shot from the tailer's perspective.

So the question is, of all these options the director and DP have on the day of the shoot, do you need to zoom up to the top of the block to create this effect?

Comment

Hello all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks
                  I'd probably go with "PULL BACK TO REVEAL."

Comment

I think
                    "one block behind....."
                    is all the direction the camera needs

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
                      Seriously? My suggestion would be to not do it. In the last dozen scripts I've written I've never included a single camera direction, except one assignment that was one of those "Live home video POV" pain-in-the-neck things where you had to describe everything that way.

But a standard narrative film? I never describe zooms or tracking shots or close shots or anything like that.

NMS

Hard to imagine that you would not follow this advice. It doesn't get any better than this.
                      Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Nothing wrong with writing camera direction if it helps sell the moment. I'd probably go with something where the shot is implied, like "we see that he's being followed - X tails him from half a block behind."

But if a specific shot helps the read, go for it. Plenty of great writers have that as part of their style.

Comment

I think this question is still open until Derek F'ing Haas gives us the correct answer.

HH

Comment

I'm in the middle of directing a 70-page dramatic script for a client. I didn't write it. The first thing I did was remove every shot description. Didn't even read them. Why? Because I already completed my location surveys and knew exactly how to shoot each scene based on the real world environment and the restrictions at each location. The shots the writer imagined in his head were unimportant as I've got to shoot this puppy in the real world where walls don't move to accommodate the writers ideal camera positions.

Comment

I need to convey camera motion in a script to show the proximity between two characters.
                              There's no rule against using camera directions but I know they irritate a lot of people. I guess that's why you don't see them much in spec scripts. I know one feature director in particular who blacks out all camera direction; I know others who ignore them. My preference is to describe the shot, not the camera movement. The director and DP will work out what to do with the camera.

A problem with camera directions is that most writers have limited knowledge in that field; the DP will usually consider many ways of achieving the same thing and will be more aware of what's currently possible, in vogue, and appropriate. I think it's generally better to describe what happens and what we see and let the director and DP work out how to capture it.
                              Last edited by DavidK; 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM. Reason: o
                              "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
                              X