Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Major Prodco Exec requested script but neeed agent or manager

As everyone here says, it's almost certainly a pass...

BUT, if you and your partner feel in your gut that there might be more to it (and it will kill you to give up without trying), why not ask if you can have your entertainment attorney submit? This is generally acceptable in place of an agent or manager.

If they say yes, it's not hard to find an attorney to send it over. However, you have to pay said attorney.

If they say no, you'll know for sure this is a pass.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
      I think it also looks better and is more professional that we have a manager or agent, especially should this guy want to go to bat with it and try to make something happen. No manager, no agent, no nothing. Then what?
      The first three times I optioned scripts to major production companies, I did it without a manager or an agent. THEY DIDN'T CARE. THEY DON'T CARE. They found something they wanted and we negotiated a deal that I didn't have to pay any agent or manager a percentage of... I did have to pay a lawyer, but that was on the backside. I managed, the way you did, to get to people via networking and pitch. And on a couple of occasions was told, "Send the script". No one asked if I even had a manager or agent.

Instead of turning yourself inside out to make this something it isn't, use it as a educational tool. Learn and move on. Like someone else said, write another script and query the guy, reminding him that you'd spoken before and see if he bites.

A great rule of thumb in trying to get read is... unless they say, "I want to read it. Send it.", it's a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
        THEEE boss is not going to care if his exec deviated from policy. It's the execs job to find viable material the production company can sell to a studio and/or get made. The boss will evaluate whatever material with that in mind. The boss also does not want to here about whatever backstory that led to you getting the read. He doesn't care that you met at a wedding or whatever and the exec knows he doesn't have time to hear all that. If the boss reads the script and has interest he may then ask "who's the writer" and then exec can answer however he or she sees fit.

The boss is also not firing anybody because they read a script that wasn't submitted by an agent or manager. The exec knows this so he knows he wouldn't "risking his job" by reading your script. If he wanted to read your script, he could. It's as simple as that. There are release forms he could have you sign if he was concerned about some sort of liability.

I'm not sure where you're going with this to be honest. You seem to understand and process what everybody is saying for the most part. If you're expecting a production company's possible interest in reading your work to generate interest from an agent or manager I guess it's possible but it's definitely not probable in my experience. You could maybe mention it in a query and see what happens? Can't hurt. I'd think that your prospective agent or manager will primarily be looking at one thing, though -- your logline -- and they'd base their willingness to read on their feelings about that (not whatever mystery prod co is sitting out there).

Not trying to be a dick but just giving it to ya straight. PM me any questions if you want.
        you're not being a dick, your being honest and speaking from experience. thanks.
        • Go and do likewise gents..

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
          As everyone here says, it's almost certainly a pass...

BUT, if you and your partner feel in your gut that there might be more to it (and it will kill you to give up without trying), why not ask if you can have your entertainment attorney submit? This is generally acceptable in place of an agent or manager.

If they say yes, it's not hard to find an attorney to send it over. However, you have to pay said attorney.

If they say no, you'll know for sure this is a pass.
          good idea, I think we will try this route. What it also comes down to is that I've veered away from my mission of marketing for our script, which is a lot of my responsibility in the relationship. Summer hit, my business and life took over and I took my eye off the proverbial ball. I just need to continue forward, full force in my marketing, query-ing, networking, etc. I see white house down took over 10 years, we are on year 1.5, so...we'll get there! thanks for the great feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
            Won't beat a dead horse, but all the other commenters are correct, this was a pass.

One piece of advice I'll add: Don't butcher the contact. Once you move to LA, get into the swing of writing, include him on your first query blitz and mention that you met way back when in New York. Any point of reference can help you.

Best of luck.
            got it, not sure when and how I'm moving to LA though..LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalScribe View Post
              I don't think anyone's accusing you of being in that situation. Most of us (I think) are responding to the exec's response, not accusing you of handling the situation unprofessionally. I wanted to make that clear because I think everyone here is trying to help you rather than accuse you of being a newbie or somehow behaving inappropriately.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how it goes sometimes. Most execs even use their work email in that situation.

This part isn't. "Protocol" and "strict company policy" are systems in place to prevent or curtail unsolicited submissions. Believe me when I say that no one in a position of creative authority in this industry would keep his or her job for long if they refused to read a great script because it didn't follow a rigid and inflexible submission process. Maybe there's a submission release to sign along the way, but if it's a great script, that's all that matters.

Creative execs are lauded for finding great material, not slapped on the wrist for failing to follow a rigid submission policy. Here's the important part, though... if you're being told that there's a strict submission policy in place or that they'd love to read it but their hands are tied... it's all a polite way of saying, "I don't want to read your script." If they did want to read it, they would have asked to read it. There is no company policy anywhere in the industry that says, "If you come across a script that catches your interest, you can't read it."

Having a manager or agent is irrelevant if it's a great script. People in the industry make deals with writers all the time regardless of whether they have reps, are guild members, etc. It's all about the quality of the script. If you've written a great script, it doesn't matter to them whether you pay a rep 10% or not.

Bingo.

You had it 100% right a minute ago. If he really wanted to read it, he could. If he really wanted to refer you to someone who could submit it on your behalf, he could. But he didn't. Don't rationalize the situation by thinking he doesn't have time or it's just because he has to follow some arbitrary submission procedure. You had it right the first time. If this guy "REALLLLLY wanted to read it," he could. But he didn't ask to read it, nor did he refer you to a manager, or offer any special consideration other than "submit it just like everyone else." That's a pass.

Just out of curiosity... if your partner is a seasoned, optioned, produced working writer... does she have a rep that can submit it for you?

I don't want to (and hope I don't) come off as particularly harsh or combative, but I see the direction this train of thought is headed in. Believe me... I've been there on both sides of the table. Regardless of the circumstances of the meeting, the bottom line is that this guy heard your script premise and had a chance to say "send me your script." He didn't. Instead of saying, "Send me your script," he said, "Submit it through proper channels." That's a pass. You can justify it by saying it's punting, or that he's just a guy following company protocol, or that he's an exec who's probably very busy and can't read it right now... but the honest truth is that if he's not saying, "Yes, send it to me," he's saying "no." There are a million nice ways to say "no" to someone (and I've even used the 'strict policy' and 'I'm very busy right now' excuses myself on occasion)... but it's still a no.

If you truly believe this script is right for this company, then do what you have to do to submit it through "proper channels." Heck, why not try to find an actual manager or rep rather than someone who will just submit this one project for you? Just please understand that you don't have any special "in" with this executive or this company, so don't go out of your way to parse his response looking for underlying meaning. He didn't bite when he had the chance; it's as simple as that.

Best of luck to you and your partner on your writing endeavors!
              hey Socal, thanks as always for your valued feedback and insight. My partner DOES, or should I say DID have an agent and manager, however, but for reasons I am not privvy too, she parted ways. Yes, parted ways. That means she wasn't happy with them, or vice versa. So, we are trying to start fresh here with our script, find a manager first, which hopefully would lead to an agent. BUT, it all starts with the damned read! right?

can't get a manager if they don't read it and like your work, cant get an agent unless THEY read it and like it and want you as a client. You can't send unsolicited material to these agents (well at least the big guys), sooooooo, you're left with getting an "in" somehow from someone who DOES read it and champions it for you, or at least takes steps and effort to move it along the process by sending, recommending, to others.

the mission continues.....

Comment

Got all the info I needed, thanks everyone.

Just know that I'm not laying in bed at night tossing and turning, sweating bullets, banging my head against the wall over this "request". I really do get it, but I wanted to get some more feedback, and insight from you all. Kind of a reality check.

I'm also re-energized now, back on my marketing/promo horse, and after all, its "Christmas in July", how appropriate!

Comment

I'd have just paid more attention to post #2 and called it a day.
                  twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                    I'd have just paid more attention to post #2 and called it a day.
                    Yea, its just weird because I could have sworn over the years I've read so many posts that say "dude! are you crazy??!! you can't just submit your script to someone at a major production studio, they have policy, procedures, rules and protocol to follow. they get sued all the time by people. Nobody is going to just read your script off the cuff without the proper paperwork at the minimum. ESPECIALLY at a major major like Disney, Dreamworks, Sony Pictures or Bad Robot. Not gonna happen. You need an agent or manager to do that for you.

but, hey, whattaya gonna do other than keep moving forward I guess....

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
                      Yea, its just weird because I could have sworn over the years I've read so many posts that say "dude! are you crazy??!! you can't just submit your script to someone at a major production studio, they have policy, procedures, rules and protocol to follow. they get sued all the time by people. Nobody is going to just read your script off the cuff without the proper paperwork at the minimum. ESPECIALLY at a major major like Disney, Dreamworks, Sony Pictures or Bad Robot. Not gonna happen. You need an agent or manager to do that for you.
                      Your statement is true... except when you get to network live and pitch. BIG DIFFERENCE between sending cold and a live pitch. The man let you pitch. That's something. Then they can say Yes or No. And, unfortunately, most of the time instead of plainly saying NO in that situation, they say no in the way they did to you.

Comment

Re: Major Prodco Exec requested script but need agent or manager

After having read alot here (even before posting for the first time) I can recall distinctly some folks mentioning they've been read off a cold query to some heavyweight agencies. But I also remember they cautioned it's rare, and the material has to be stellar. But it happens. I even remember one mentioning calling on the phone and getting thru...

Archived threads on these issues go way back. With some crafty searches or just scanning the old threads, you'll see it. Especially in this Agents, Lawyers & Manager section.

Good luck!!
                        " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

I'm surprised at the number of people who think this is a pass...

Hard to tell what's going on. Could be someone who's newly promoted and hasn't learned to slip things through. Could be someone whose company is lawsuit paranoid and really does have an ironfast no unsolicited submissions policy. Could be this is his way of passing. All production execs deal with managers and agents on a daily basis. Ask him if there's anyone he recommends and and see if he will introduce you. If he really likes your pitch, he'll recommend you. If he skirts your question or doesn't answer, it's a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by speedyreader310 View Post
                            I'm surprised at the number of people who think this is a pass...

Hard to tell what's going on. Could be someone who's newly promoted and hasn't learned to slip things through. Could be someone whose company is lawsuit paranoid and really does have an ironfast no unsolicited submissions policy. Could be this is his way of passing. All production execs deal with managers and agents on a daily basis. Ask him if there's anyone he recommends and and see if he will introduce you. If he really likes your pitch, he'll recommend you. If he skirts your question or doesn't answer, it's a pass.
                            If you look above, it IS one of those 4 I listed, so, they do have pretty strict policy. I also think another part of is, hypothetically he loves it. I think it looks better for him and his cred if he has an agent or at least a manager to defer to when pitching it to his boss.

So anyway, the other part of this is I was not the one who pitched, I don't think she even "pitched" him, they just had a great time, and bonded/connected/ with each other over that weekend, and through that of getting to know each other, she brought up our script and they took it from there.

I'll be happy to keep yall posted and updated, thank again for all the feedback.

Comment

Agree with pretty much everybody, before I had reps I had execs read stuff I pitched them throughout the course of my networking/party whoring. In that time I'd also gotten a couple "Oh we'd need an agent to send it over." Which, seeing as I had probably mentioned I was unrepped, I took as a polite pass.

The policies are in place to deal with the teeming masses who want to jam their script down the throats of anybody they can find. I may be wrong, but I'd imagine a good exec would not only not be reprimanded for finding a "diamond in the rough" unrepresented script, but would probably be lauded for getting outside the system and finding a script from a new voice.

The only time I've ever heard "have your manager/agent send it over" now are because whoever it is knows or has worked with the respective rep before, and maybe they'd rather deal with them than me personally, but it's not for any sort of legal or policy-related reason.

Comment

Well we just made it to the quarter finals if the Page Awards, that's the top 10%, now if we can just make the semis or win!! Could help us with a lil bump of buzzy-ness ??

http://pageawards.com/past-winners/2...ter-finalists/

Comment

Working...
                                X