Will stylistic punctuation be viewed as typos or bad grammar?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will stylistic punctuation be viewed as typos or bad grammar?

Lots of produced scripts have weird punctuation in dialogs (dashes, no caps, etc.) and it doesn't seem to matter because the scripts are great.

But I read in one post that a pro reader thought less of a script after seeing ("...and on page 2!") a question end with a period instead of a question mark. I have several such questions ending like that in a script because the questions are not really questions---and should not be viewed or intoned as a question.
    I also do things like delete commas even though they are called for grammatically, and add quotation marks where they are not grammatically needed, but are necessary because the words are from a different source (in this case below, from the Tao Te Ching).

Question: Should I care about such a misconception of amateur ungrammaticality on my part?

Example:

ERNEST
    Dad is freaking bezoomy.

MARIA
    Come on, Ernie.

ERNEST
    I asked him how he's doing--you know, since he sold the house. Know what he said?

MARIA
    (monotone)
    No Ernest what did he say.

ERNEST
    (imitating Dad)
    "Self or wealth, which is more precious? Gain or loss, which is more painful?"

Re: Will stylistic punctuation be viewed as typos or bad grammar?

Originally posted by warrenwilson View Post
    Lots of produced scripts have weird punctuation in dialogs (dashes, no caps, etc.) and it doesn't seem to matter because the scripts are great.

But I read in one post that a pro reader thought less of a script after seeing ("...and on page 2!") a question end with a period instead of a question mark. I have several such questions ending like that in a script because the questions are not really questions---and should not be viewed or intoned as a question.
    I also do things like delete commas even though they are called for grammatically, and add quotation marks where they are not grammatically needed, but are necessary because the words are from a different source (in this case below, from the Tao Te Ching).

Question: Should I care about such a misconception of amateur ungrammaticality on my part?

Example:

ERNEST
    Dad is freaking bezoomy.

MARIA
    Come on, Ernie.

ERNEST
    I asked him how he's doing--you know, since he sold the house. Know what he said?

MARIA
    (monotone)

ERNEST
    (imitating Dad)
    "Self or wealth, which is more precious? Gain or loss, which is more painful?"

I agree with the way you did it. "No Ernest what did he say.", is not really a question. A question mark would completely change the connotation.
    "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

I use dashes and dots and incomplete sentences to create a rhythm, but I would still write "No, Ernest, what did he say?" I don't see how it's not a question or how it wouldn't be pronounced as a question. I can see it might be said with a certain dismissive attitude, but to me it is still a question and would seem like a typo without the question mark.

Comment

It's funny, we write in the most visual of mediums, but we have so few visual tools available to us in our work.

I look at punctuation as being similar to notation in music. Periods, commas, dashes, ellipses, all of that tells the reader how to pace what they're reading in their head. Your style is fine here.

It's really interesting to look at the way Shakespeare uses punctuation and even spacing in the First Folio, which is supposed to be based on cobbled-together actors sides. He takes a very rigid form, the iambic pentameter, and violates it all the time, but it's done in a purposeful manner, so every variation has impact.

If you're reading something and a good grammarian and speller goes off track, most readers will trust you and let you take them with you. It's fairly easy to tell the difference between a sloppy writer and a stylist.

Comment

Thanks much for the feedback. I guess I'll just trust that the reader will get it if I keep it clear.

Just to clarify for anyone who does not get it, I would view this as a straight question:
          MARIA
          No, Ernest, what did he say?

Whereas this connotes disagreement and impatience, not truly asking for, or even wanting an answer:
          MARIA
          (monotone)

Thanks again for the support.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
            It's funny, we write in the most visual of mediums, but we have so few visual tools available to us in our work.

I look at punctuation as being similar to notation in music. Periods, commas, dashes, ellipses, all of that tells the reader how to pace what they're reading in their head.
            Brilliant.

Comment

Warren, if you get a chance, read the script "Balls Out" while listening to the same table read. The actors will embellish the emotion or context of the dialog. It's a great thing to observe.

Visual as well as dramatic:

MARIA

No, Ernest. What did he say?

or

No, Ernest... What did he say?

or

No. Ernest.
              (looks up from her reading)
              What did he say?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                Warren, if you get a chance, read the script "Balls Out" while listening to the same table read. The actors will embellish the emotion or context of the dialog. It's a great thing to observe.

Visual as well as dramatic:

MARIA

No, Ernest. What did he say?

or

No, Ernest... What did he say?

or

No. Ernest.
                (looks up from her reading)
                What did he say?

I like your 3rd version, though you could shorten it to looks up from book.

Comment

or

KIRK

No Ernest... What. Did he. Saaaayy?

Comment

Working...
                  X