No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenwriting consultation service

Hi all,

My name is Phillip Ramati, and I'm a screenwriter and writing consultant. I'd love to work with you to help improve your screenplays and teleplays.

Who am I and how am I qualified to do this, you might ask? Good question. I'm a former finalist for the Disney/ABC Screenwriting Fellowship, a quarterfinalist for the Nicholl Fellowship, advanced three scripts in the Austin Film Festival and optioned two scripts over the years. I also was a reader for AFF's screenplay competition and was a student judge for the Peabody Awards. I've done well in other competitions as well. For a more thorough bio, click here: https://pramati1254.wixsite.com/phillipramati

I charge a flat rate of $1.75/page for a written analysis of plot, character, structure and dialogue, and that includes a phone call to discuss my notes (or face-to-face meeting if you're in the Austin, Texas area).

Feel free to DM me or email me if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you!

Re: Screenwriting consultation service

Hi Phillip,

Nice website. I use wix.com for mine as well.

A few comments, if you are open to it.

Congratulations on your placements in screenwriting competitions. There are a lot of writers who visit this very site that have achieved the same level of success. Second rounders at Austin, Quarters for Nicholl (some finalists, too). Several writers here have also received 8s and 9s on The Black List. I commend you on your additional awards/accolades as well, being selected as a Black List award recipient is an accomplishment.

Congratulations on your two options. Have you gone into development with either of the options?

You provide samples of your writing on your website, however you do not provide samples of your screenwriting. That would be nice for a writer to see, so they can judge for themselves on your craft skills.

Additionally, you do not provide a sample of your analyses to demonstrate what your analysis actually looks like on the page.

-- What is your turn around time?
    -- How many pages is your written analysis? A page for each element? Two pages?
    -- You've listed 4 elements of screenplays analysis, but you do not explain what form that analysis takes. For example what are you analyzing in plot, in character, structure and dialogue.
    -- There are other important aspects of a script, too, such as: premise, setting, and prospects in the industry
    -- Does your analysis include: strengths, weaknesses, and development notes?
    -- What type of format can the writer expect with respect to the analysis? Is it similar to competition notes? Traditional coverage? Development notes?
    -- Since there are no samples of analysis included, can you provide an example of your analysis would look like for each of the elements you've listed?
    -- Other than working for a competition, how much "consultant" experience do you have? How many screenplay consults have you completed?
    -- Can you provide some feedback from actual customers?

Sorry for the flurry of questions, but your website doesn't provide any information on your experience as a consultant or that you even provide consultant services.

Without the information above $210 per 120 page script seems expensive to me, considering the lack of information provided on both your consulting experience and analytical skills.

For example, I received exceptional notes from Titan Creed, 14 pages for a 112 pg script for $100 and a five day turnaround.

I think providing some additional context could help a writer better determine whether your services are of value to them.

Good luck,
    FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Hi FA4,

Thanks for the questions. Samples of my critiques and screenwriting are available through email. I'm more than happy to send them to prospective clients. Email me at [email protected].

Of the options, one went nowhere. The other went through quite a bit of development before the producer's funding dried up.

As to your questions:
      --Turnaround time is a week.
      --Page count varies, but average is 5-7 pages
      --What I'm analyzing in each aspect is how effectively the writer communicates what he/she is trying to accomplish. Does the plot have an effective arc? Are there plot holes? Do the characters have effective arcs? Does the dialogue give each character an effective voice?
      --I do include premise, setting, prospects and budget projections.
      --The strengths and weaknesses of the script are included in the various breakdowns listed above, as well as an overall summary that includes development notes.
      --The format of the notes is similar to the format used by AFF's coverage service, which is much more detailed than the competition format they use. I've worked with both.
      --I've been working with writers for a while, including screenwriting groups and one-on-one, though I haven't been doing this service for a couple of years. One of my writers did a Page 1 rewrite from nights and placed in the Athens Film Festival competition that year; another got an agent. I'm not sure who is a member of DD, so I'd have to reach out to them to post something.

I'm still updating the website to reflect the service. I only recently decided to do this again.

Any other questions, I'm happy to answer.
      Last edited by glantern2814; 12-15-2019, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glantern2814 View Post
        --What I'm analyzing in each aspect is how effective the writer communicates what he/she is trying to accomplish.

-- ... I'm not sure who is a member of DD, so I'd have to reach out them to post something.
        The text highlighted in red needs to be an adverb, I think, and the adverb is: effectively. The other word highlighted in red is most likely a typographical error because it's only missing its preposition.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Thanks for pointing them out. I serve as a caregiver for my parents and had an issue today, and didn't check my work. Rest assured, I take more time when I do the reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by glantern2814 View Post
            Thanks for pointing them out. I serve as a caregiver for my parents and had an issue today, and didn't check my work. Rest assured, I take more time when I do the reviews.
            Typos happen (yet remain undesirable).
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
            X