Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About distribution companies

If author have very good TV format. And he sell it format for ditribution company.

What is the form of cotract?
    What is the standart selling prices in wolrd?
    Distribution company from author buying in all the time his format or at one season or somethig alse...?
    Can give author 50 proc and distribution take 50 proc can be this form contract?

My english is not very good. But i think you understand. I want to have some information abou distrubution work. If you can please tell me

Re: About distribution companies

TV distributors are having a hard time these days. Some of the best have gone out of business in the past five years.

There is a glut of format ideas around and they are near impossible to sell and have become extremely difficult to register as a format. There is no standard selling price.

You could not sell the format to a TV distributor - distributors sometimes help raise finance and sometimes contribute 10-20 per cent, but mostly they just distribute finished product. The distributor will take 30-35 per cent. Only the most successful international franchises return a significant profit. The authour will not get 50 per cent. When you sell the rights you will need to sell all rights worldwide to offset investor risk.

You will probably be expected to make at least a pilot episode, but perhaps a first season, before being able to franchise it as a format.

Sorry but there is not much positive advice on this. The easiest starting point is to take a clearly written proposal to a local/national broadcaster and get them to commission the first season and take it from there.

M.
    "I've been in this business too long to worry about how long I've been in this business." M.

Comment

Working...
    X