X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by Twombly View Post
    I did for the script I uploaded in December, but not for the one I uploaded last week. I thought that might have been the case the first time around too.
    Maybe all they need is one script to opt in, and once they have you on the list, they don't bother with the next one? I honestly don't know, but was curious what happens when you opt in? Do they download it and send it to one of their own readers, perhaps? Unless they rely on TBL to do the recommendations?

FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      Maybe all they need is one script to opt in, and once they have you on the list, they don't bother with the next one? I honestly don't know, but was curious what happens when you opt in? Do they download it and send it to one of their own readers, perhaps? Unless they rely on TBL to do the recommendations?

FA4
      An excellent question for Franklin, I'd say. All I know is that during my process to upload my other script last week, I definitely had the option to check off the boxes to opt in to WB and TBS again. It seems like every script you host and pay an eval for (or maybe the paid eval doesn't matter) can have a chance in the mix of those deals as long as you check them off.

Comment

An excellent question for Franklin, I'd say. All I know is that during my process to upload my other script last week, I definitely had the option to check off the boxes to opt in to WB and TBS again. It seems like every script you host and pay an eval for (or maybe the paid eval doesn't matter) can have a chance in the mix of those deals as long as you check them off.
        You have to opt in each script that you want to be considered for the opportunity. Be aware though that since it's a blind deal, we consider all of the data associated with every script a writer opts in when making decisions about the short list.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise View Post
          I hate asking this question in case it has been answered before but I uploaded my first script the other day and after a few hours I received an email that it was downloaded by a industry member.

I paid for 2 reviews.

My question is the person who downloaded it, was it one of the reviewers or an actual industry member inquiring about my script?

Thanks

This happened to me also.

It is a pro download because it will tell you that on your homepage (they are distinguished from reader downloads, or peer downloads).

It happens because your script goes into the "recently uploaded" list on the main page that they see when they log in.
          "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
            re: the high concept tag. Why stop there? Why not have a "great script" tag or "you have to buy this right now" tag?

Of course "high concept" would be abused. Just look up the threads where people argue for 1000 pages about what the definition of "high concept" is.
            And "tent pole." We really need a "tent pole" tag.

Comment

I can't find "Contained" -- now that's a tag that must be available under the various main genres. Am I just not seeing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                I can't find "Contained" -- now that's a tag that must be available under the various main genres. Am I just not seeing it?
                I believe the tag is under "Contained Environments". It's definitely there.

Comment

I believe the tag is under "Contained Environments". It's definitely there.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Not sure if this has been addressed but is there a deadline for pilots and tv scripts in regards to the TBS/TNT deal that the blacklist has going on?

Comment

Originally posted by 4iiii View Post
                      Not sure if this has been addressed but is there a deadline for pilots and tv scripts in regards to the TBS/TNT deal that the blacklist has going on?
                      On the website - FAQ:

When is the deadline?

April 4, 2014 is the final day of the submission period for this Program

https://www.blcklst.com/turner

Comment

What about a small summary section where the writer can impart a few words so as to set expectations? This would benefit not only the readers who review the screenplays but also any interested producers who may otherwise not be tempted to look inside.

I know it's all about whether the reader would suggest it to their superiors but some of the feedback I've read doesn't take into account the writer's intentions. It's one thing not to be passed up but another to be criticised for achieving exactly what you set out to achieve.

Some examples:

"A gritty and violent take on Cocoon. for adults only".

"A retro-comedy thriller where the comedy is purposefully juvenile to attract the 14-21 year old male demographic".

"A slow-paced thriller designed for creeping tension. In the same style as John Carpenter's Halloween".
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                          What about a small summary section where the writer can impart a few words so as to set expectations? This would benefit not only the readers who review the screenplays but also any interested producers who may otherwise not be tempted to look inside.

I know it's all about whether the reader would suggest it to their superiors but some of the feedback I've read doesn't take into account the writer's intentions. It's one thing not to be passed up but another to be criticised for achieving exactly what you set out to achieve.

Some examples:

"A gritty and violent take on Cocoon. for adults only".

"A retro-comedy thriller where the comedy is purposefully juvenile to attract the 14-21 year old male demographic".

"A slow-paced thriller designed for creeping tension. In the same style as John Carpenter's Halloween".
                          This can be accomplished in either the logline or within the screenplay document itself.

The reality is that if you can't communicate that in the writing of the script itself, it's not likely that a framing device like the one you describe will help all that much.

Comment

Franklin - why is it if you choose to hide a reader's review the system does not also hide the numerical score the reader gave with that review?

I hid my review thinking it would hide "all" of it, but the graph and numerical scores are still visible.

My numerical score was the reason WHY I wanted to hide the review (a 4).

But, if the whole thing is NOT actually hidden, then I am thinking I may as well leave it public, because some of the reader's comments were actually nice in comparison to the low numerical score.

Also, if one receives a numerical poor score on a rating from a pro, are they able to individually hide that score? This hasn't happened to me yet, but I thought I'd ask while on this subject.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Exponent5 View Post
                              Franklin - why is it if you choose to hide a reader's review the system does not also hide the numerical score the reader gave with that review?

I hid my review thinking it would hide "all" of it, but the graph and numerical scores are still visible.

My numerical score was the reason WHY I wanted to hide the review (a 4).

But, if the whole thing is NOT actually hidden, then I am thinking I may as well leave it public, because some of the reader's comments were actually nice in comparison to the low numerical score.

Also, if one receives a numerical poor score on a rating from a pro, are they able to individually hide that score? This hasn't happened to me yet, but I thought I'd ask while on this subject.

Thanks!
                              You have to turn off the option to show all scores.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                                You have to turn off the option to show all scores.
                                Which is the "Extended Visibility" check box at the bottom of the "Edit Script Info" page.

Comment

Working...
                                X