X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
    I do not have a question for Franklin, but I just wanted to let anyone know about current review times.

I uploaded a comedy film script 8/26 and it was downloaded by a reviewer the next day and I just got it an hour ago, so obviously, surprisingly fast.

I felt like the review was spot on and gave the reader a 5/5 rating. There is always a risk with comedy that someone will not 'get' it (I would have loved to have seen tags for 'absurd' and 'scatological', but I am very happy with the result).
    Do we really not have tags that would cover "absurd" and "scatalogical"? If not, we'll have them added within 24 hours of your confirmation.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
      Do we really not have tags that would cover "absurd" and "scatalogical"? If not, we'll have them added within 24 hours of your confirmation.
      There's actually only 4 tags currently under the comedy header (I was very glad to see that Bromance was not one of them), but I would add Absurd, Scatological and Farce.

Thanks!

Comment

Franklin, I really thank you for the overall professionalism of your service. After speaking to your staff, we got to the bottom of the issue with the one review I had problems with. The other three reviews of my scripts were very detailed and analytical on both strengths and weaknesses. One review was extreme vague and short on everything. After speaking to your staff they agreed it was a poor review and I should get a replacement review and a free month of hosting.

With that said, the other 3 reviews I got on the BlackList gave me excellent coverage and feedback that I have used to revise my scripts and address weaknesses in my writing, as well as confirming my strengths. You really have a great service for screenwriters and I thank you.
        Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Guys or gals who are repped or have a producer attached--if you list your script on the BL, do you say it's repped?
          http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
            Guys or gals who are repped or have a producer attached--if you list your script on the BL, do you say it's repped?
            I did not. I just put my script up. When it got optioned, that's when my rep got involved.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
              I did not. I just put my script up. When it got optioned, that's when my rep got involved.

Thanks! That's what I suspected.
              http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Well, I went over to the BlackList site after a long hiatus -- I hosted a bunch of scripts the first six months or so when it first began but I haven't been back since simply because I was working on a batch of new stuff.

I was planning to host a script or two... but now I'm thinking I don't like the site changes.

Sure, it looks great but the Top Lists are screwed up, in my opinion.

People choose multiple genres (which is great for subgenres) but that can put them on the Top List for EVERYTHING if they score high enough. I mean, good for them, but, really, can a script be HORROR, THRILLER, PERIOD, DRAMA, ROMANCE, ACTION, ADVENTURE, FANTASY etc. all at once? I swear there's one on there now that covers just about every possible category. Sure, as a subgenre category it's great to pile on the possibilities (even including all those listed above if applicable), but wouldn't it be more fair to have each top screenplay be representative of one, or two at the most, categories? That way all the other top scripts can get a chance too.

Does this bother anyone else? Or am I being too picky?

And I'm curious, has the buzz around the BlackList diminished? When it first came out it was the hottest thing in town but now? Are the pro views and downloads just as active? Just curious! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DayJobWriter View Post

And I'm curious, has the buzz around the BlackList diminished? When it first came out it was the hottest thing in town but now? Are the pro views and downloads just as active? Just curious! Thanks!
                  Hard to quantify buzz, but I am happy to report that we haven't seen a decline in industry pro views or downloads since launch.

Lots of great things happening.

Comment

My last script saw a 6 day turnaround. Black List score was a 7.

Extremely happy with the quality of the notes. Some great suggestions were made, and will apply them ASAP.

Comment

Random question for FL: Have you ever considered a component score relating to the quality of the action descriptors? Or does that just kind of get folded into the setting component?

A component score like that might be interesting for someone looking to find a writer to adapt an existing story. Personally, I find that the quality of that script element can vary wildly. I've covered scripts with strong dialogue and solid plotting, but the action was nearly incoherent. At the same time, I've had a few scripts that manage to be visually evocative without being overwritten.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Comment

What happened to the option of being able to compare your ratings to the ones on top lists? I liked that feature and wish it were still there.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                          What happened to the option of being able to compare your ratings to the ones on top lists? I liked that feature and wish it were still there.
                          It's still there. It's under Scripts>All Top Lists.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
                            Congrats on being the next Featured Script on the BL, Suzanne!! It was only a matter of time Your downloads are gonna explode now!
                            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                              Congrats on being the next Featured Script on the BL, Suzanne!! It was only a matter of time Your downloads are gonna explode now!
                              Thanks so much, upandcoming! The Black List has been very good to me. A lot of exciting things are happening.

One thing I've learned: don't take your script down too soon and try to be patient. (Not one of my virtues.) It takes more than a month or two for things to happen/word to spread.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X