This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Much depends on whether you've already paid for a second review and, if so, that score.

If you're waiting for second evaluation -- hold your powder.

We got an 8 on a script and the score of the free evaluation was a 5 -- tanking the average and all that comes with that.

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
      Much depends on whether you've already paid for a second review and, if so, that score.

If you're waiting for second evaluation -- hold your powder.

We got an 8 on a script and the score of the free evaluation was a 5 -- tanking the average and all that comes with that.
      Only paid for the one review. I just got the free eval offer after the initial 8 score. I haven't accepted it yet.

Comment

You may want to take them up on the offer, then. I think you need two ratings to make the list of top rate scripts etc.

Might want to check the FAQ on the website.

If nothing else, you'll get some free notes on the script.

And, congrats, by the way. If you get an 8, you're in some rare air.

Comment

If you don't take advantage of it then your 8 won't be as visible because you need two paid evals to get on any of the top lists.

You've most likely already missed the top monthly list because you have tow have both evals come out within a month of each other.

Good news is that we're all in the same boat. It's no different for you than it is for anyone else. Reviews vary. Just the way it is. But if you get another 8 it'll be really good.

Best of luck.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Can someone explain to me why "setting" is a scoring category on the BL? What would be the difference between scoring a 1 and a 10?

Are you being judged on the originality of the locations you choose? Is this producer-speak for "budget"?

Perhaps this has been explained already, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
            Giffin

Comment

Originally posted by Giffin View Post
              Can someone explain to me why "setting" is a scoring category on the BL? What would be the difference between scoring a 1 and a 10?

Are you being judged on the originality of the locations you choose? Is this producer-speak for "budget"?

Perhaps this has been explained already, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
              Giffin
              my pilot was a period drama in a specific city at a specific time in history. i got strong comments from the readers about the authenticity and feel for that setting. for some scripts, getting those details right matters

Comment

Hey Franklin,

I recently sent in feedback for the evaluation I received for my script which got a 7 by the way. I'm about to order another evaluation and want to make it clear I'm not asking for a replacement either but I felt that the one I got was very broad and vague.

Out of nearly 30 characters and multiple story lines not one specific scene or character was mentioned at all. I get the evaluation is for producers/agents/managers or whoever to read and judge before they download something but my advice would be to ensure your readers put some sort of detail about scenes or characters in every evaluation. My evaluation read like it was written by someone trying to sound like they read the script but didn't really, more glanced over it.

When the evaluation was submitted right bang on the 7 day mark, nearly to the hour, since download which made it 4 weeks in total I felt it was a rushed submission. I know you guys are busy and all but you gotta understand how that looks to an outsider.

This ain't a complaint Franklin, just feedback. I hope it's useful to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Giffin View Post

Thanks,
                  Giffin
                  I believe "setting" has to do with the world you create and place your story within.
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Franklin, I'm having a problem with my email notifications. My settings are all set on my account for notifications (I even reactivated them several times), there's nothing in my junk file, I even tried to send the script from the site to my email by selecting Send To Inbox, still nothing. I emailed the support team and haven't heard anything for a few days.

Now I should have had 12 notifications of downloads and evaluations, and nothing. If a pro wanted to get a hold of me would I be notified through your site or do you give out my email. I'm a bit concerned that someone might wnt to contact me and I wouldn't know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zed's_Dead View Post
                      Franklin, I'm having a problem with my email notifications. My settings are all set on my account for notifications (I even reactivated them several times), there's nothing in my junk file, I even tried to send the script from the site to my email by selecting Send To Inbox, still nothing. I emailed the support team and haven't heard anything for a few days.

Now I should have had 12 notifications of downloads and evaluations, and nothing. If a pro wanted to get a hold of me would I be notified through your site or do you give out my email. I'm a bit concerned that someone might wnt to contact me and I wouldn't know it.
                      This is not the best forum to get a response on an issue like this. Please email us at support and you'll be sorted within one business day.

Comment

Hey Franklin, just received the information about the increase in cost for an evaluation. While I certainly agree with increasing wages for your readers, I can't support this information:

We understand that these price increases could have the effect of somewhat reducing the number of folks with the financial wherewithal to take advantage of the Black List website, which is a result we very much want to avoid.

To address this, we are making a few additional changes. Most notably, in addition to the free evaluations we currently offer scripts that receive high scores from our paid readers, we will now offer free hosting as follows:
                        Paid Reader Overall 8: 2 free months of hosting & 2 free script evaluations
                        Paid Reader Overall 9: 2 free months of hosting & 3 free script evaluations
                        Paid Reader Overall 10: 2 free months of hosting & 5 free script evaluations
                        It is entirely possible that with the purchase of a single month of hosting and an evaluation, a script could end up in a loop of free hosting and evaluations that runs the catalog of our readers in a genre. It's already happened once.
                        Great benefits, but they do nothing to cater to those who struggle financially. It's not like a contest or festival that can wave fees if financial hardship can be proven. Greater than 95% of scripts uploaded to the site earn an overall evaluation of 7 or less, so forking over what is essentially $100 for one read ($75 evaluation + $25 hosting) is, percentage wise, more than likely throwing money away. I'd consider omitting that first paragraph entirely, as the benefits are solely for those who are exceptional writers, not for those who struggle to make ends meet.
                        FADE IN:
                        PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                        NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Read the e-mail as well. Certainly understand the desire to pay readers more due to demand. But how will this affect customers, the majority of whom get a 7 or below?

Does the increased price mean that readers will be required to get a certain number of evaluations completed within a given week? Because if customers will be paying $25 more and facing the same long waits (4-week turnaround times), I'm finding it hard to see how that's fair.
                          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                            This is not the best forum to get a response on an issue like this. Please email us at support and you'll be sorted within one business day.
                            I have, and no one has gotten back with me, nor my follow up email. I definitely didn't want to bring it up here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
                              Hey Franklin, just received the information about the increase in cost for an evaluation. While I certainly agree with increasing wages for your readers, I can't support this information:

Great benefits, but they do nothing to cater to those who struggle financially. It's not like a contest or festival that can wave fees if financial hardship can be proven. Greater than 95% of scripts uploaded to the site earn an overall evaluation of 7 or less, so forking over what is essentially $100 for one read ($75 evaluation + $25 hosting) is, percentage wise, more than likely throwing money away. I'd consider omitting that first paragraph entirely, as the benefits are solely for those who are exceptional writers, not for those who struggle to make ends meet.
                              You're ignoring the paragraph that directly follows that one:

https://blog.blcklst.com/on-pricing-...e-903bd93002d7

"We will further be offering free evaluations and script hosting more frequently on all fronts.

In other words, if you want to take advantage of the site for free, follow us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Follow us on Instagram. Subscribe to the mailing list. Read Scott Myers's blog Go Into the Story. Stop by our monthly happy hours (in any one of a dozen cities in the US, Canada, and the UK). There will be many opportunities. Please do take advantage of them."

Comment

Originally posted by Zed's_Dead View Post
                                I have, and no one has gotten back with me, nor my follow up email. I definitely didn't want to bring it up here.
                                Please send me a PM here so I can look into the issue and bring this to the attention of our customer service folks. It would be highly unusual for you not to have received a response.

Comment

Working...
                                X