Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Cynthia Hanson
New User

Default WeScreenplay Full Coverage package

I have purchased Wescreenplay's basic coverage package of $69.99 twice in years past for two different versions of a script and received a pass on each one. I've got a new draft of the script I am hoping may at least receive a consider now, and I am wanting this time to purchase their full coverage package at $99.99. With this one they do a marketability analysis and give you recommendations on how to sell the screenplay. Has anyone ever purchased this level of coverage from Wescreenplay and found this part of it helpful in any way?
Cynthia Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
figment

Default Re: Wescreenplay Full Coverage package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Hanson View Post
I have purchased Wescreenplay's basic coverage package of $69.99 twice in years past for two different versions of a script and received a pass on each one. I've got a new draft of the script I am hoping may at least receive a consider now, and I am wanting this time to purchase their full coverage package at $99.99. With this one they do a marketability analysis and give you recommendations on how to sell the screenplay. Has anyone ever purchased this level of coverage from Wescreenplay and found this part of it helpful in any way?
I cannot stress this enough -- no one will give a crap about Wescreenplay or whether or not they gave you a consider or a pass.

They are a non-entity in the world of screenwriting.

Please do not throw money at these services IF you are doing so in hopes of getting a "consider" from them when it won't matter anyway.

If you place in the Nicholl Fellowship or maybe even the Page contest you can possibly translate that into getting reads through your own queries by mentioning that. Or if you simply have an interesting logline and you hit the right manager on the right day, that'll get you a read. Wescreenplay liking something will very likely not get you reads.

To answer your actual question:

I'm assuming Wescreenplay's "marketing analysis" is some type of crap, as well. The way you sell a screenplay/get reps is through your own querying of managers or sometimes production companies who may be willing to read your script, if it interests them. If a company is charging you money to tell you how to "sell" your screenplay, that is a bogus thing to do, as it does not work this way.

Mostly people get reads by:

--querying managers on their own
-- working in the industry and getting reads by people they know.
-- placing high in a WELL KNOWN/respected contests and using that as leverage
-- knowing someone who passes your work along

As with my answer to your previous question, NO company is going to do this for you. YOU have to do it for you. If a company is operating under the guise of, "just pay us money and we'll tell you how to sell your script" they are LYING to you.

IF it were that easy, we would have all done that by now.

That's not to say you shouldn't get feedback. You are absolutely correct in getting feedback on your work as that is what helps any writer improve. There are note-givers listed on this board that many of us have used too, if you were looking for a notes person that others have found helpful.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
finalact4

Default Re: WeScreenplay Full Coverage package

In this case, if you're going to throw money at something, it's better to throw it at something the industry actually uses. Even though The Black List is very hit or miss, at least it has a name behind that the entire industry identifies as "quality," material.

There are two ways to sell your screenplay and the second way is dependent upon the first.

1. Write an undeniably amazing script.

2. Get someone to read it and get behind it.

That's what you have to do. You don't need to pay someone to tell you that.

To add onto figment's comments on the HOW for #2

Go to expos-- take classes to improve your craft
Get high ratings on The Black List
Win a fellowship
Join a writer's group
Network with other writers
Send query letters (important enough to mention multiple times)
Make connections on social media

Everything else figment offers is spot on.

FA4

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is online now   Reply With Quote