Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you looking for?

I do love how you bring up a whole new subject in a thread about something else because of something Jeff said that had nothing to do with age. He meant longevity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      I do love how you bring up a whole new subject in a thread about something else because of something Jeff said that had nothing to do with age. He meant longevity.
      With a thread titled "What are you looking for" to a manager, I believe "age" is relevant. The industry has gone through a huge class action lawsuit for age discrimination.

"Age" does have something to do with longevity. The uncommercial script that got Jeff representation was when he was a young man, where there was potential for the rep to have a long term working relationship and income.

Would that same script have gotten Jeff that rep at that time if were a senior citizen?

Yes, a writer's age isn't on the script's cover, but once a writer is called in for an interview and a rep sees that he's an old geezer, I do think that would have an influence with some reps on whether, or not to represent the writer. Disregarding the writer's work completely, even though it's uncommercial, but possesses a great voice.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm an older writer, but I write high concept/commercial ideas, so I believe that will help get past, for the most part, any biases against age.
      Last edited by JoeNYC; 09-06-2019, 06:39 AM.

Comment

An executive with one of the top 3 agencies says:

"The reason 'ageism' comes up all the time is because it is real. ... Getting in at an older age is much harder than staying in."

"Hollywood is the only business where experience seems to count against you." -- Bill Martell, professional writer and Done Deal member.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
          With a thread titled "What are you looking for" to a manager, I believe "age" is relevant. The industry has gone through a huge class action lawsuit for age discrimination.

"Age" does have something to do with longevity. The uncommercial script that got Jeff representation was when he was a young man, where there was potential for the rep to have a long term working relationship and income.

Would that same script have gotten Jeff that rep at that time if were a senior citizen?

Yes, a writer's age isn't on the script's cover, but once a writer is called in for an interview and a rep sees that he's an old geezer, I do think that would have an influence with some reps on whether, or not to represent the writer. Disregarding the writer's work completely, even though it's uncommercial, but possesses a great voice.
          look, i've listened to a lot of podcasts recently that cover managers and agents (recorded over the past couple years) and this is addressed to some degree.

managers don't care about your age. they are judging you on your writing, first and foremost. second they're going to judge you on your presence and how they think you might come across in the room, which is also really important. they are selecting you based on your writing. as long as you can produce sellable material consistently they'll stick with you-- that's what is key, that you can write.

if a manager does care about your age, don't have them be your manager.

the writing matters, not your age

now, that's not to suggest that there isn't ageism. there is. probably stemming primarily from younger people (see i have a bias haha)-- as some can have a distorted view of what old is, just like bono<--- stop saying you're old, dude, or i'll beat your ass. you're not old.

it might have an initial "impression" impact at first, but when it comes to staffing they want diverse groups of people with different experiences at all levels so they can produce the best episodes. if you can write the **** out of ****, your age won't matter. it's like any discrimination based on gender, religion, race, political leanings, sexual orientation... all of which are no one's fukking business, and all of which you cannot control.

what i'd say, is write an undeniably amazing spec or pilot. give no quarter and amaze the fukk out of them with words and characters on the page.

and, if you're the creator of the show, it's kinda, tough sh!t-- it's my party.

don't let the angst of something you cannot control be a source of self-doubt or anxiety. focus on what you CAN control-- WORDS ON THE PAGE.

is ageism real-- yes.
          is sexism real-- yes.
          is bigotry real-- yes.
          is racism real-- yes.
          is intolerance real-- yes.

is there anything you can do about it? yes, you can choose to work with these people, or you can choose NOT to work with these people.

i'll be fighting several things: 1) i'm female 2) i'm a female writing a male dominated genre (i know, they're all male dominated but action-thrillers more so, i think) 3) the way i look impacts some people's perception of my abilities. it sucks, but it's real 4) age

me, **** it! words on a page-- that's how you combat all of those challenges. other than your name, there's no way for someone to know anything about you unless you "show and tell."
          FA4
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Joe you spelled Netflix wrong . Senior moment!
            Not a senior moment. It was a slip of the tongue using "flex" because at the time I was flexing my huge, youthful muscles in front of a mirror.

Comment

Whoever wrote the Bible was dead. So you can write at any age.

Comment

https://youtu.be/c52WJdoh8fQ

This is how I do meetings.

Comment

[QUOTE=finalact4;966845]look, i've listened to a lot of podcasts recently that cover managers and agents ... managers don't care about your age.[QUOTE]

Yeah, after the Hollywood industry paid $70,000,000 to settle an age discrimination lawsuit, they're gonna be honest on a podcast about the difficulties a senior citizen writer may have breaking into the industry.

Comment

Now I'm thinking Joe is way older than I thought before... Or thinks 29 is old. I can't tell.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                      It was clear that's what he/she meant.
                      Maybe to me. Maybe to you... but it's still a stupid branding choice, so I stand by it.

Comment

Now I'm thinking Joe is way older than I thought before...
                        In my post where I mentioned the Done Deal senior citizens, such as, Bono, catcon, etc., I'm "etc."

Comment

Since this thread is off the rails, might as well post this here.

I got a manager to read my script from an email. 11 days pass after I send them PDF. I say let me do the "I wrote a new shorter draft if you haven't gotten to it yet" check in (which I don't recommend doing fyi seems amateur hour), but they wrote back "send shorter one, I never got attachment."

I know it's a lie. Welcome to Hollywood everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                            In my post where I mentioned the Done Deal senior citizens, such as, Bono, catcon, etc., I'm "etc."
                            I think me and that other member who isn't here so I feel bad but pretty sure he's 20 years older than me. So "etc" gives me nothing.

Full disclosure, I'm not embarrassed or care about my age. I'm old. I'm 29. I know, almost 30. Scary!!!!

But I'm happy you picked me. I feel honored Joe. How are you besides hungry for dinner at 4pm?

Comment

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
                              Personally I think the feature side of the business has contracted to the point that very few reps would make the effort to sell a writer based on a great but unsellable spec.

Pretty sure that those writers who managed to capitalize on a great unsold sample in the past (like Jeff) would find it much harder to pull off in the current climate. I'd argue reps are only looking for both the voice and the inspired commercial concept at the moment, since the difficulty of breaking a writer with anything short of that is overwhelming, even for well known reps.
                              Too busy making jokes to say I agree with this.

I know nothing except my experience, but it just feels there are more writers and scripts than ever (actors are writing more and more, etc) so it just feels that the 90s boom encouraged jerks like me and you and whoever else is already mad at me for calling them a jerk since every post I make I'm only talking to the person directly who gets offended, that it's just easier for them not to rep 50 writers. They can repped 20 writers full time and then pick and choose the great scripts that come through like producer would. I mean why not? NO risk. Low work.

It's the same way companies keep firing full time employees and hiring 10 freelancers with no benefits to do the job.

It makes sense actually. It's bad for the workers, but it makes sense.

Comment

I'm 29. I know, almost 30. Scary!!!!
                                In Hollywood years "30" is a senior citizen.

Comment

Working...
                                X