This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

i would say that your wife is correct. $99.99 and you get a coaster and the chance to win the writers raffle which will donate all of bill martells published works.

thank me later evil. . . pm me your gratitude.
    You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

Originally posted by THEUGLYDUCKLING View Post
      i would say that your wife is correct.
      Especially now one client's script might be going into production. It's not something I advertise, but if I LOVE your script you never know what might happen...
      NOTES / COVERAGE
      15,000+ Screenplays
      [email protected]

Comment

no need for the hardsell, the fishies are already on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by THEUGLYDUCKLING View Post
          no need for the hardsell, the fishies are already on the line.
          For an extra $50, your coverage will also come with 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection with a 10-year guarantee against rust and corrosion.
          NOTES / COVERAGE
          15,000+ Screenplays
          [email protected]

Comment

@UGLYD: You're missing the point of why we use EvilRbt's service. It's about growing as a writer and finding a compelling story. It's about mastering the craft. Making YOUR script better. Evil can help you accomplish these goals for a very small fee. Who fvcking cares how many "Considers" he's given out? Worry about your own writing.

Evil has three films GOING INTO PRODUCTION, one of which is a $20 million endeavor! He knows his sh!t and I find it offensive for you to "call him off the porch."

For the record, I've received 2 "Consider with Reservations" from EvilRbt.

Each was VERY hard to attain.

I rewrote each script three times, with each pass going to Evil for notes. He would NOT have given a "Consider w/ Res" if the material wasn't up to snuff. He's very honest in that respect.

The first script (BAD FRIDAY) got about ten read requests from the logline, and it opened up many doors to managers who liked the writing. They are now expecting another pitch, and I will begin sending around a new logline (TROPHY CASE) next week since the script got a "Consider w. Res."

Evil has also given me advice on random loglines and he's read my treatments. I've scrapped entire projects because of his opinion and he was right. Without him I'dve been wasting my time. I don't use Evil's services expecting a "Consider," but if I get one I'm pleasantly surprised.

I have a few projects he's looked at that are still being rewritten because they haven't attained a "Consider" yet. Eventually I'll whip 'em into shape, with Evil's help of course.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Never send out a script unless The Screenplay Mechanic has looked at it first!

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

The check's in the mail, Hans!

In all seriousness, thank you for that post. Good to see you on Facebook now too.
              NOTES / COVERAGE
              15,000+ Screenplays
              [email protected]

Comment

NP, I'm your biggest fan, and very outspoken.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

i can worry about whatever it is i want to worry about. if i'm paying a guy to give me his opinion and he gives his opinion and in my opinion his opinion is tainted by the over goal of his endeavors, than me thinking what i am thinking is part of my plan to become a better screenwriter and if giving a consider to a peice of work, or more than one piece of work that i thinks sucks, then i'm going to have to evaluate how I feel about him.

it's all part of my system, you worry about your system, and i'll worry about mine.

Comment

Sounds good UGLYD.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
                      @UGLYD: You're missing the point of why we use EvilRbt's service. It's about growing as a writer and finding a compelling story. It's about mastering the craft.

Evil has three films GOING INTO PRODUCTION, one of which is a $20 million endeavor! He knows his sh!t and I find it offensive for you to "call him off the porch."
                      I don't get this part. If so then he should be earning like $80,000. I can't see reading with that kind of career momentum.

Maybe someone can elucidate what these projects are and if they're indeed WGA covered works.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz2074 View Post
                        I don't get this part. If so then he should be earning like $80,000. I can't see reading with that kind of career momentum.

Maybe someone can elucidate what these projects are and if they're indeed WGA covered works.
                        My income from writing is not really anyone's business, but allow me to elucidate:

"The Lost Patrol" netted me $50k up front (in 2008) and I'll get $250k when production starts, plus bonuses etc.

"Bullet Run" was a paid option for $3k and I'll get 50% of $200k when the cameras roll (plus $36k for a rewrite).

"Dangerous Days" is a $4m budget so I'll only get the rest of a paltry $50k fee, plus back-end when production begins -- likely May 2010.

I'm a WGC member because my TV movie was shot in Montreal. Once "LP" goes into production I can transfer my membership.

You're right. When these projects go, I probably won't be reading anymore. Until then, I have a day job and that job is reading scripts for fellow writers and sharing my 13 years of reading/studio experience. If I had a better agent right now, perhaps I'd be cranking through assignments, but such is my lot in life.

Anyone with industry experience also knows there's a chance every single project could fall apart. Until principal photography begins, anything can happen. That's why I still drive an old VW, not an Audi R8.

Any other questions? Man, I'm getting grilled today.
                        NOTES / COVERAGE
                        15,000+ Screenplays
                        [email protected]

Comment

Yo Evil,

You don't have to prove anything.

Your thread is as long and interesting as some scripts.

I like the way you dropped all those dollar signs and K's out there....

I feel pretty poor. I think I may go and curling up next to a payphone.

I hope I can get my script to you before you get paid.

Comment

Thanks Chuco,

I hope I didn't come across too defensive. I woke up this morning, checked DD like I normally do and found Duck questioning my coverage and now another member questioning my career/income. No doubt they didn't mean to come off antagonistic but I'm just here to help and make a meager living, you know? I have writers email me all day long with follow-up questions and requests for help with loglines and I almost always respond for free. I'm just an honest guy making an honest living... at least until I become a grossly overpaid and egocentric screenwriter with a bunch of movies in the theater.
                            NOTES / COVERAGE
                            15,000+ Screenplays
                            [email protected]

Comment

I've considered trying your service a few times, but I've yet to determine when paid coverage like this would be most helpful for me.

I'm curious, do you feel that you're of more use on earlier, rougher drafts of scripts or on advanced, polished drafts... or does it not really make a difference on your end?

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                                I've considered trying your service a few times, but I've yet to determine when paid coverage like this would be most helpful for me.

I'm curious, do you feel that you're of more use on earlier, rougher drafts of scripts or on advanced, polished drafts... or does it not really make a difference on your end?
                                That's a good question because what you might consider advanced and polished, I might believe needs more work. I cover material in every stage of development, even unfinished scripts and treatments. In your case, I would advise getting the script as polished as you feel comfortable then let me take a look. If you give me a rough first draft, there might be some redundancy if I point out flaws or ideas you're already aware of yourself. I don't want anyone to waste their money. That said, if it's a rough draft and you sorely need some help or inspiration then my full notes service might be the way to go.

Just view me as someone to bounce your script off of. For $65 (only $55 if you don't need a synopsis) I'll basically weigh your script against the thousands I've read and what I know execs and producers like/dislike. Whenever possible, I try to give you ideas to improve or enhance your story too. I always strive to be constructive.
                                NOTES / COVERAGE
                                15,000+ Screenplays
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X