Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Free" Option

In most books that I've read, it says that this is usually not a good idea to give someone the rights to your work for a free option in the hopes they will be able to set it up.

However, from what I've heard it is so much more common nowadays.

Has anyone here ever done one and if so, how did it work out?

Re: The "Free" Option

It is common, and it is a mistake.What the person asking you to accept this deal is saying is:

-They either have no money or they aren't enthusiastic enough about your project to spend their money on it.
    -They don't know anyone with money or they aren't enthusiastic enough about your project to try to get money from that other entity.
    -They just want to attach themselves to your project in case something happens with it. But imagine how hard they're going to work on it if they have nothing at risk?

New writers accept these deals because they like being able to say they have optioned a script. The patter they are offered by these would-be producers is always the same. They play off the fact that the writer is new and wants/needs to get in the game. They wave their connections, real or imagined, in the new writer's face. They may claim that they've spent their development money for the year. Whatever. The writer has their optioned year or two, nothing happens, and, lemming-like, they do it again.

A "real" option is ten percent of guild minimum, at least. It comes with guild points. Anything less is suspect. And a true "free" option, for zero money, is invalid by the terms of contract law. Don't give up control of your script for nothing.

kullervo

Comment

I agree with everything Kullervo said. A great job of summing it up.

I had a "free" option early in my career. The only reason I agreed to it was because the production company actually had credits and I wanted to see the movie made. About three months into the year-long option, however, the production company "changed direction" and was no longer interested in making it.

I'm WGA now and free options are forbidden. I would never do it again anyway and I'm totally against anyone else doing it. Anybody can print business cards and call themselves a producer (or manager). A free option totally degrades your worth as a writer and the value of your script. All the flattering words and promises in the world won't pay the rent.

Comment

PS - The "free" option was for $10.00 -- and I never got the $10.00!!!

Comment

Never even got the ten bucks?!?!

k

Comment

what's your address, i'll mail you nine, someone else has to come up with the rest, mortage is due.

vig

Comment

Another common line from very small indy producers is: "It's to your benefit that I put as much of the budget into what goes on the screen; we'll make a great moneymaking film and I'll take care of you on the back end."

-- Carlton

Comment

Originally posted by Carlton Redford
                Another common line from very small indy producers is: "It's to your benefit that I put as much of the budget into what goes on the screen; we'll make a great moneymaking film and I'll take care of you on the back end."

-- Carlton
                yeah, boy have i heard this line before.
                "the filly's no bigger than a minute, but has a mouth like a sailor." -- VLBarnhill

http://p097.ezboard.com/bthefillyscorral

Comment

And it should be followed by "just don't rat me out to the WGA."

k

Comment

Free options are NEVER good. I don't care if you'll tell me about that one time it worked out for someone, etc. etc. Truth is if someone can't give you some $$ for the project, tell them you'll give them an exclusive 30 days to come up with it, and at that point, when they don't. Tell them you're sorry, but there has been other interest.

Of course there doesn;t have to be other interest, and in truth, during that 30 day exclusive deal, you can still shop it on your own.

Comment

This is solid advice. In thirty days you'll recover from "somebody likes it!" syndrome and move on.

k

Comment

Not sure as far as absolutes, but it is interesting what you may hear and learn once you bring up...money.

You may learn that your script, at least to the person you're dealing with, isn't really worth anything.

Good thing to know.
                        Last edited by AnconRanger; 06-04-2005, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X