Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone hear from MXN(Novick)?

Hi guys, I didn't even think of doing that, but I have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bram20

Comment

Actually, this clause was brought up here:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ghlight=clause

Comment

Hi - Thanks for the thread. I'm just curious what is the WGA minimum?

Bram20

Comment

re: mins... look here:
          http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=1027

and here:
          http://www.wga.org/content/subpage_w...ces.aspx?id=68

Comment

Phatgirl - Thank you very much!

Bram20

Comment

Bram, what did your lawyer say?

Comment

Hi - The lawyer I went to, didn't provide much answers. So I called an entertainment lawyer today, and spoke with them briefly, and they said that the clause means that they can take your script, re-write it, and not provide you with any credit.

I'm going to try to make an appointment, but it might take a while.

Bram20

Comment

Michelle requested my script a couple weeks ago. After deliberating RE: Graf 5, I just signed the damn thing. Hell I'd be stoked with WGA mins! Are ya kiddin!?

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by bram20 View Post
                    Hi - The lawyer I went to, didn't provide much answers. So I called an entertainment lawyer today, and spoke with them briefly, and they said that the clause means that they can take your script, re-write it, and not provide you with any credit.

Bram20
                    I assume this means Novic as a PRODUCER? Once it's their property, they can do what they want. But this seems to be asking the writer to relinquish all rights BEFORE a sale. I don't like the language at all and as a manager his task should be to defend his client's work and get him as much credit as possible, so what's up with that ?

Comment

After debating about this myself for over a week, I did consult a lawyer, they said they can't amend the agreement because it was drawn up by MXN lawyers. It was a no win situation. I signed it like Montanahans did.

The assistant noted that if they wanted to go forward with the deal, they would ask you to sign a new agreement.

I still have my reservations but its Mason Novick. I'm hoping that there are still honest people in this world.

Thanks

Bram20

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                        I assume this means Novic as a PRODUCER? Once it's their property, they can do what they want. But this seems to be asking the writer to relinquish all rights BEFORE a sale. I don't like the language at all and as a manager his task should be to defend his client's work and get him as much credit as possible, so what's up with that ?
                        I agree. I don't like the wording either. And I did some checking into it as well and, in the end, I decided to not send my script.

Comment

I, too, decided not to send them the script.

Wrote to Michelle expressing my reservations about the agreement and offering to sign it after crossing out the problem sections or to sign an alternative release if they had one.

She wrote back, saying she could "completely understand" my perspective, but was bound to require the agreement, "which has been our standard submission agreement for a very long time," signed without amendment.

Was tempted to reply asking if Mason himself was aware of the language used and what writers and entertainment lawyers think of it. But refrained.

Comment

Well, MXN passed on my script. I've had several people read it and was told it was stellar, which leads me to believe that MXN is garnering ideas from unsuspecting writers to freely give them fully completed screenplays.

Michelle said "send us more scripts". Yeah, right like that's gonna happen!

A few people on this board did not send in their scripts, and that was indeed a very smart move on their part.

I really URGE writers NOT to submit to MXN, this is out of sheer concern for us writers who need to protect our work.

I don't want another repeat of "Mall Cop" or "White Chicks" because even though I signed their release if that idea or concept is replicated in any way shape or form, I have every revision I've ever made on my script. So if I see it pop up in the big screen in the next year or so. I'll be waiting to sue.

Comment

Originally posted by bram20 View Post
                              Well, MXN passed on my script. I've had several people read it and was told it was stellar, which leads me to believe that MXN is garnering ideas from unsuspecting writers to freely give them fully completed screenplays.

Michelle said "send us more scripts". Yeah, right like that's gonna happen!

A few people on this board did not send in their scripts, and that was indeed a very smart move on their part.

I really URGE writers NOT to submit to MXN, this is out of sheer concern for us writers who need to protect our work.

I don't want another repeat of "Mall Cop" or "White Chicks" because even though I signed their release if that idea or concept is replicated in any way shape or form, I have every revision I've ever made on my script. So if I see it pop up in the big screen in the next year or so. I'll be waiting to sue.
                              Bram, your fear is completely unfounded and ignorant. Just because they passed (and were nice enough to tell you while inviting you to resubmit), it doesn't mean you should accuse Mason of having intent to steal yours or other people's work.

Have you seen Mason's client list? He reps an Oscar winner and several of the hottest writers in town. He also reps a great young writer on this board who is poised to break out any day. He's doing great for him as well as the rest of the clients.

Mason does not NEED to sign just any writer. You need to blow him away. Obviously your script didn't. It happens. People pass all the time.
                              https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

I'm not ignorant, I'm just very realistic. It happened to a lawyer from New Hampshire who wrote "Mall Cop", he entered a contest and the panel who read the script, just re-named the character and reclaimed it as their own.

Of course, he sued for a pretty penny and so did the writers for White Chicks, form what I hear there doing pretty good for themselves from the settlement.

Read other posts on this thread with writers having the same reservations on submitting their script to this company, and you'll see what I mean.

Believe me it blew several people away, just not one's with Clause 5. Food for thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X