No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone's gotta do it - LOST

Spoilers-

And the Time Travel theorists have won the game!

Seriously though, I love what they've done with Faraday and Desmond. Both of them make up for when Jack and Sawyer went dull.

Answers? Kinda sorta. Though that whole religiousy thing with that lady at the end threw me for a loop, but it just seems unreasonable to introduce someone that (and I'm assuming) is this important to the plot. Oh by the way, here is this lady who I've never mentioned before, or have ever heard about, etc. yet she's the keeper of the island. Well, whatever. I like the Hurley grew a pair at the end!
    Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
    Jack: Trustworthy.

Re: Someone's gotta do it - LOST

That lady was the lady Desmond saw when he did his travels. The one that told him not to propose to Penny.

I was really hoping the time travel would reveal dinosaurs on the island....

get it....

Land of the Lost...

It was a lot funnier in my head.

Comment

Um the creators, whom I do have to thank for some really great moments in TV

ARE RE-EXPLAINING WHAT HAPPENED. THEY ARE EXPLAINING THE EXPOSITION. THEY ARE STATING WHAT WE JUST SAW.

I know it's a recap. I just find that kind of hilarious. Recaps, gotta love 'em.
      Last edited by Ire; 01-21-2009, 09:34 PM.
      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

SPOILERS

Man, I'm nervous now. Time travel storylines are always so shaky to begin with. I really don't know if Lost can pull this off. Based on these two hours, I'm getting this dark feeling in my gut this show has gone off a cliff it can't return from.

I really think I dug this show more when it was a group of people I really liked on a crazy island with just the right amount of sci-fi creepiness/spookiness. Now it's 100% sci-fi all the time, and the whole entire show feels scatter shot.

Again, I'm not jumping off the ship because this show always finds a way to turn the tables, but time travel...I really don't know...

(although now it all makes sense why The Others knew so much about everyone when they crashed -- because they had already met them, as many people had theorized over the last couple of seasons. The reverse of how Locke knew Ethan. That part was pretty cool, I admit.)

Comment

Yeah, I gotta agree, Maclean. I miss the focus on characters, backstories and relationship that made this show so great in seasons 1-3 (and this is coming from a scifi lover), and I thought those seasons struck the right balance between character/relationships and scifi/mystery. Season 4 had some episodes such as the Constant which retained that, and was overall solid, but it seemed to lean more towards plot/scifi.

These first 2 episodes on first viewing seemed to be largely plot, and there were few character moments that were the earmarks of earlier seasons. Plus, Sawyer's tirade when he was knocking on the hatch just felt awkward, don't know if it was the writing or performance. This is the first time I think I've felt that way about one of the major characters on this show.

Where this show's at now reminds me of Battlestar Galactica -- two formerly great sciif shows that used to be as strong in character/relationships as any dramas that I've watched, yet are now focussing more on the scifi/religious elements as they try to wrap up the plot with the series finales looming. I really wish both shows didn't have a strong religious/destiny element -- it's hard for me to see how they can deal with this element in their finales without it seeming somewhat contrived, hokey or deus-ex-machina. Not to mention mixing religion and science.

Here's hoping Lindelof and Cuse can tackle time travel without getting caught up in all the paradoxes, loops and plot holes that's made such a morass out of Heroes. And I hope we'll at least see Sawyer and Locke back in the the 1600's when the Black Rock washed up on the island and find out that some of those skeletons we assumed we're slaves are actually characters from our time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny Sparks View Post
            Here's hoping Lindelof and Cuse can tackle time travel without getting caught up in all the paradoxes, loops and plot holes that's made such a morass out of Heroes.
            They took an interesting tack with that, basically declaring that paradoxes were impossible to create and that some innate process would keep them from affecting the course of the timeline as they'd already experienced it.

One wacky question, though... how far does an island move in 3 years? Not enough to vanish from the horizon, even if it were 'dislodged from the time stream.'
            - - - - - - -
            Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

Part of me says the Lost writers can do it. People say there's not enough time to wrap everything up. What are there, 32 more episodes? Trust me, that's plenty of time. I've seen complex storylines wrap up in 45 minutes in movies.

But making time travel such a big part of the plot ensures plenty of extremely confusing meetings between the Lost writers and ups the amount of time you need to explain things in each episode a good 20-30%. It's dangerous stuff. But it makes sense as far as everything that's happened so far. They just have to know that it's going to become a hell of a lot harder to write an episode of Lost.

Having said that, I thought the season premeire, paticularly the first hour, was awesome.

And regarding the character flashbacks, they're not gone for good. New players (the guy who owns the island. the strange lady at the end of this episode) will get their flashback episodes I'm sure. I think ultimately it was the right thing to not *require* a flashback in each episode because at a certain point they were so obviously forcing them and nothing new was being revealed about the character, making the flashback pointless. We have 15 people we're following on the island. I see no problem with transferring those 15 minutes of flashback to 15 minutes with those other characters that aren't featured in that particular episode. I'm not saying they should show Sawyer and Hurley playing Ping Pong but you know what I mean.
              Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

the first hour rocked, the second whimpered... it seemed to be ho-hum, yeah right, oh well, huh and nothing spectacular... the little twists and surprises that bristled with energy and excitement from seasons past just lay there like a dead fish on a dock after its last flop
                "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by ExtHollywoodDay View Post
                  They took an interesting tack with that, basically declaring that paradoxes were impossible to create and that some innate process would keep them from affecting the course of the timeline as they'd already experienced it.

Yeah, that was smart of them, including making Desmond the only one who they could affect b/c of him being the Constant or whatever he is.

However, if none of the characters interfere with the "time string", then there will be no interesting confilicts and complications, which I can't see the writers passing up.

Also, wouldn't Locke interacting with Ethan mess up the "time string"? (On a side note, I thought that Ethan about to kill an injured Locke without taking him prisoner or at least figuring how he knew who Ben Linus was a bit inconsistent with what we knew of the Others pre-crash).

One wacky question, though... how far does an island move in 3 years? Not enough to vanish from the horizon, even if it were 'dislodged from the time stream.'

I was wondering that, too. A part of me was expecting the island to wind up in the North Pole in this premiere, especially with the polar bears and it would make a nice contrast to the jungle setting. I guess they can explain it by using the whole space/time linkage; plus, as Ben was transported to the desert when he turned the wheel, I guess they can say the island moved through space, too.

Comment

Originally posted by wilsoneads View Post
                    And regarding the character flashbacks, they're not gone for good. New players (the guy who owns the island. the strange lady at the end of this episode) will get their flashback episodes I'm sure. I think ultimately it was the right thing to not *require* a flashback in each episode because at a certain point they were so obviously forcing them and nothing new was being revealed about the character, making the flashback pointless. We have 15 people we're following on the island. I see no problem with transferring those 15 minutes of flashback to 15 minutes with those other characters that aren't featured in that particular episode. I'm not saying they should show Sawyer and Hurley playing Ping Pong but you know what I mean.
                    It was a smart decision to forego flashbacks (the traditional flashbacks of the main characters' backstories, that is) with season 4, as continuing them would've probably stretched credibiility or woud've eventually become redundnant or insignificant.

But what I missed from the first 3 seasons and which I found lacking in this premierre (and most of season 4) were the poignant character moments, such as in the season 3 premiere when Juliette goes over Jack's life in the aquariam prison. Although those scenes were enhanced by the flashbacks, I think they would've been effective without them, too. One opportunity I think they missed with this premiere was Jack explaining to Ben why he was so distraught and near suicidal in "Through the Looking Glass". His explanation of how Locke's returning made him that way wasn't sufficient IMO. Hopefully they'll expand on that in future episodes.

Comment

So would the voices we've heard for the last four seasons be our plucky heroes record skippin' through time and space?

Farraday's being on the Island during the Station's construction brings up several questions: do they record skip far enough back?

And, was the cabin/jacob effected by this along with the group?

I'm liking the record skippin' since it's fairly easy to follow and does show some of the previous events on the island without tripping and stumbling down the same road that BTTF 2 did.

Does all the time travel effecting any of them or is Charlotte infected with whatever made Desmond/Kelvin suit up every single time they went out?

Overall I thought it was a good start to the season....
                      R.K. Bentley
                      My Blog, My Design Studio
                      "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

But didn't someone hear voices OFF the island? That's always gotten me.

Comment

This show better end up with the island having to jump to save itself and then when the light clears they realize they're right off the coast of manhattan but when they take the boat over they see that it's manhattan in the year 1857 or the year 3091 and they're stuck in that time.

Or I'm going to be pissed.
                          Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

I liked it.

Comment

I am LOVING this. I am a time travel GEEK and I am loving every second and have EVERY confidence that they can pull it off. Wahoo!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X