- CONTINUOUS vs. - SIMULTANEOUS (Sluglines)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• - CONTINUOUS vs. - SIMULTANEOUS (Sluglines)

I need some help in delineating between

INT - BARREN WAREHOUSE - CONTINUOUS

vs.

INT - BARREN WAREHOUSE - SIMULTANEOUS

What I assume it means is that Continuous is happening RIGHT AFTER the previous scene and Simultaneous means it's happening ALONGSIDE the previous scene.

When I'm trying to craft a quick-cutting action or suspense sequence I feel like I need to use one of the two (or both, depending) instead of just using DAY with each cut.

Thoughts?

Re: - CONTINUOUS vs. - SIMULTANEOUS (Sluglines)

Personally I'd just use CONTINUOUS. I think you're right in your differentiating between the two, but I can't think of why I'd use simultaneous - does it matter to know that things are happening at exactly the same time?

Also, if writing a quick sequence as you describe, I'd consider dropping these altogether. More words just slow the reader down - if it's obvious where we are I'd just do mini-slugs -

HOUSE
    Where Bob is doing whatever before racing to

DRIVEWAY
    - a car engine revs, Dave behind the wheel -

CAR
    As Bob piles in Dave floors the pedal

But it's all personal choice. So long as it's clear.
    My stuff

Comment

You're right in that they are totally different.

CONTINUOUS happens when one scene bleeds right into another. Like walking from an EXT to an INT.

SAME TIME is actually a more common use than SIMULTANEOUS. SAME TIME is when you are tracking two separate actions. Such people talking inside the house and people playing in the yard outside.

Comment

Another vote for mini-slugs.

Comment

A vote for full slugs.

Preferably ones that don't use CONTINUOUS or SIMULTANEOUS unless it's one of the rare occasions when they help with understanding what's happening. Most of the time something that is CONTINUOUS is obviously so, making it redundant to tell us that. Something that is SIMULTANEOUS would probably need a sophisticated explanation of what exactly you mean, since it's not something readers will see often.

Similarly, I suggest only using mini-slugs if you have a good understanding of when it makes sense to do so.

I don't think full slugs, with DAY or NIGHT on them, bother people as much as others seem to think. While I know that when people try to get clever with slugs they trip themselves up as often as not.

Having said that, of course I recognize that each person will want to develop their own approach, and that you might be comfortable and competant with whatever it turns out to be. I just feel that in general the starting point for this process should be the simple full slug approach.

Comment

SAME is all I need.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Intercut works too. Setup both scenes then intercut the action and dialogue.

INT. BARREN WAREHOUSE - NIGHT

Blah, Blah

INT. AMY'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Blah, Blah

INTERCUT

WAREHOUSE
              Last edited by jonpiper; 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Just use SAME. SIMULTANEOUS is so messy, as is CONTINUOUS but there's no better alternate, yet.
                Professional Screenwriting Services

Comment

The problem with SIMULTANEOUS is I think you lose the experience of the movie running in your head as you read the scenes. You lose the feel of the action going back and forth when you write each complete scene separately. Intercut with mini slugs or even mini slugs alone intensifies the action in my opinion.

The following does not feel like simultaneous action:

Blah, Blah
                  Blah, blah blah

INT. AMY'S APARTMENT - SIMULTANEOUS

Blah, Blah
                  Blah, blah, blah
                  Last edited by jonpiper; 04-15-2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonpiper View Post
                    Intercut works too. Setup both scenes then intercut the action and dialogue.

Blah, Blah

INT. AMY'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Blah, Blah

INTERCUT

WAREHOUSE

This.

My understanding has always been that CONTINUOUS is only used when moving from one location to another without a cut (e.g. a character exits a building and the camera follows him out), which is usually a directorial choice. I've never even seen SIMULTANEOUS in a scene heading.

Comment

Originally posted by Procrastinator View Post
                      My understanding has always been that CONTINUOUS is only used when moving from one location to another without a cut (e.g. a character exits a building and the camera follows him out), which is usually a directorial choice. I've never even seen SIMULTANEOUS in a scene heading.
                      I agree with the use of CONTINUOUS and I've seen SIMULTANEOUS used..

More importantly though if you're not sure exactly where and how to use them, you probably shouldn't use them.

Comment

I have never seen SIMULTANEOUS used in a slugline. And unless scenes are playing out at the same time via a split-screen, the term would be wholly inaccurate. Watching a movie is a linear experience. This happens, then that happens after it. It is about the perception of the VIEWER, not the temporality of the narrative itself. Even if you are using parallel action to suggest multiple events occurring at the same time, the viewer perceives this as alternating actions, not actions occurring simultaneously.
                        scribbler screenwriting blog-o-zine - Celebrating its fifth year of bloggerdom!

Download a copy of Screenwriting Down to the Atoms : The Absolute Essentials Edition completely FREE!

Comment

Working...
                        X