Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLASHBACKS- In or out?

Just saw "Saving Mr. Banks" and I'm in the midst of reading the screenplay. I noticed that despite the difference in time periods, specifically when Mrs. Travers reflects, there is no headings with "Flashback".

I wrote a script with a detective who struggles with PTSD and now I'm wondering whether FLASHBACKS are old style writing or was it simply a writer's choice. Considering entering this script in a couple of upcoming contests.

Thanks.

Re: FLASHBACKS- In or out?

Is it really a flashback if a character is reflecting in present time?
    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

I don't think it hurts, unless it's really clear what your flashbacks are (eg, you only flashback to the time your character was in prison, so anytime we see them in prison we know when we are). Generally speaking though, I think anything that helps clarity should be kept. I just wrote a script that relied on flashbacks, and I had how far back we were as part of the slugline (1 week, 2 months, 1 year, etc). It won't matter when you see it visually, you'll pick it up from the characters interactions, but it makes it easier to track when you're reading it.
      @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Use FLASHBACK or don't, just make it clear. And note that it can create a slightly different experience for the reader. I thought "Wild" was beautiful and had the most seamless use of flashbacks in current films. In the available script for "Wild" (For Your Consideration) Nick Hornsby sometimes just describes what you see:

"Cheryl looks out the window at the arid landscape, and smiles.

INT. BOBBI'S HOUSE - DAY

BOBBI, Cheryl's mother...is dancing with seven-year-old Cheryl..."

Elsewhere, it's called out:

"Cheryl goes back to her daydreaming.

SOUNDLESS FLASHBACK:

We're back at Bobbi's house...Young Cheryl..."

Comment

Originally posted by discrazy View Post
          Just saw "Saving Mr. Banks" and I'm in the midst of reading the screenplay. I noticed that despite the difference in time periods, specifically when Mrs. Travers reflects, there is no headings with "Flashback".

I wrote a script with a detective who struggles with PTSD and now I'm wondering whether FLASHBACKS are old style writing or was it simply a writer's choice. Considering entering this script in a couple of upcoming contests.
          Are you just asking if you should use the word "flashback?" Honestly, nobody will ever care, so long as what you are doing, and how we're supposed to understand it, are clear.

Any contest judge who admitted to making a big deal about whether or not you use the word flashbacks, well, they'd probably be fired. Clarity matters, but you have a lot of latitude as far as how you achieve that clarity.

Comment

Yeah, but maybe not denoting Flashbacks makes you write the scene so that the viewers -- who don't read your script, just see what they see -- know that it's a flashback, if you know what I mean.

Comment

1) Is the script's purpose incoherent without it?

2) Is there a different way you can make time compression obvious? The room spinning to switch characters around, that sort of thing. Obviously within the tone that you're creating, otherwise it's gimmicky, but think about how to make all things more visual in a film script.

Comment

Personally I would include the word Flashback and even End Flashback at the end. I like the clarity. Doesn't mean there aren't other ways to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                  Yeah, but maybe not denoting Flashbacks makes you write the scene so that the viewers -- who don't read your script, just see what they see -- know that it's a flashback, if you know what I mean.
                  But there are dozens of tricks directors, production designers, and cinematographers do to make this sort of thing clear without titles.

So I think it's possible to worry too much about this.

Comment

Thanks all.

Decided to omit it simply because it just reads better but kept it inear the end because my character reflects on recent events.

Comment

Working...
                    X