No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a slugline be too specific?

Hello People!

My screenplay is based on actual events, therefore scenes take place at actual locations.

The entire screenplay is set in Amsterdam, and throughout the story the two main characters visit specific parts of the city (for example theres a scene that takes place at the Begijnhof, in Amsterdam).

Am I better to write:

INT. BEGIJNHOF - AMSTERDAM - AFTERNOON

or....

INT. OLD CHURCH COURT YARD - AMSTERDAM - AFTERNOON

I prefer my first option, but I'm just wondering what others think.

Cheers.

Re: Can a slugline be too specific?

I like the latter insofar as I didn't know what the BEJINHOF is, off-hand.

If you wish to truly reveal that specific name, which is pretty cool, I figure you could do it with dialogue, in context. As for specific cities, I've seen them often set off with commas, or in parenthesis in the header...

hope this helps...
    " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

What MJ said - make sure the reader understands the slugline. It's not so much that it's too specific as that it requires too much knowledge on the part of the reader. Rule #1 is "don't confuse". I'm not sure if there is a Rule #2.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
        What MJ said - make sure the reader understands the slugline. It's not so much that it's too specific as that it requires too much knowledge on the part of the reader. Rule #1 is "don't confuse". I'm not sure if there is a Rule #2.

- Bill
        Every time I read a Bill post, I find myself searching for the "Like" button. Dammit.
        ScriptGal
        Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
        Fifteen Years Development Experience
        http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your help

Comment

If the entire screenplay takes place in Amsterdam, you could also set that up initially with an establishing shot (EXT. AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS - ESTABLISHING).

Then you have room to construct your slugs like: EXT. THE BEGIJNHOF OLD CHURCH YARD - DAY (or however it's proper to describe). I like specificity when I'm reading -- OLD CHURCH YARD is serviceable, but BEGIJNHOF OLD CHURCH YARD feels more tangible.

It also eliminates the need to use AMSTERDAM in each and every slug. For me, this would make a much smoother read.

Comment

I'd split the difference by calling it Begijnhof Church Courtyard. That way, people who know Amsterdam and location scouts know exactly what you mean, and everybody understands what type of place it is.

If the entire script takes place in Amsterdam, you can give that information in the beginning and you don't have to keep repeating Amsterdam. You do if you are cutting between cities.

If you are in a church courtyard but you are outside, I'd call that EXT. meaning it is an outdoor scene.

Comment

I like Joan's combined version.

And, yes, it should be EXT. if the courtyard is (presumably) an open area.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I agree, BEJINHOFF OLD CHURCH COURTYARD's a good, tangible way to express it. As always, seems I'm too damn literal looking at the first two choices...
                  " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you all very much

Comment

The second communicates a better visual.
                      FA4
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                      X