How do you make a good impression on that first meeting?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you make a good impression on that first meeting?

I have a pet peeve. I hate it when guys try to show how strong they are with the firm handshake. It's like I get it, you're strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      But, my favorite movie is Battlefield Earth.
      THEN SAY THAT... with zero fukks given! ;-)
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I have a pet peeve. I hate it when guys try to show how strong they are with the firm handshake. It's like I get it, you're strong.
        Ha!

It's goofy. "What? You wanna hear bones crunch. Ya douche."

An unmemorable handshake is the best kind IMO. If I remember it it's likely not for a good reason.

But, I try to keep sh!t casual. If we do drinks you're getting a "bro hug" at the end of the night. Just how I roll. "Cool, good hang, later bro!"

POINT: Don't over think it. These are regular ass people like you and me.

I'll admit this: I've hugged Richard Lovett and he leaned into it. HHHHHHHAAAAAA! I crack myself up. 100% true story.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          I'm a big believer in being yourself. Hollywood (like any job) is filled with lots of different types of people. So if you don't lie and be yourself, you won't have to remember anything.

Read the room. Some meetings go better than others.

Since I'm a comedy writer, I like to and try to be funny, but that's my personality at Trader Joes. And let me tell you, 50% of the time, I've got the person. I'm on fire. Than 50% of the time, I bomb.

Some of the people you meet with will be awesome. Some will be so excited to meet with someone cool. Most will just be thinking about lunch especially if you meet them at lunch. Some will be weirdos themselves. Some will hate all your ideas. Some look dead inside. Some laugh at everything you say. You won't know fully how the meeting went until later when your rep say "so and so liked you" "so and so did send over that thing you talked about..."

Just got to be open. Never quite sure where a meeting will go. At the end of the day it's basically to make sure you're not a wacko. They already like your writing, they want to make sure they like you or at least don't hate you.

Have you noticed they're super chipper at Trader Joes? I think they are trained to be extra friendly. You walk into Vons, they don't even look up.

I tend to feel more comfortable around jovial people, easygoing. The super serious ones are a hard nut to crack because you feel so formal around them.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
            THEN SAY THAT... with zero fukks given! ;-)

I LOVE Battlefield Earth. And Keeping up with the Kardashians is my jam.

How am I doing in the room?

Comment

Ha!

It's goofy. "What? You wanna hear bones crunch. Ya douche."

An unmemorable handshake is the best kind IMO. If I remember it it's likely not for a good reason.

But, I try to keep sh!t casual. If we do drinks you're getting a "bro hug" at the end of the night. Just how I roll. "Cool, good hang, later bro!"

POINT: Don't over think it. These are regular ass people like you and me.

I'll admit this: I've hugged Richard Lovett and he leaned into it. HHHHHHHAAAAAA! I crack myself up. 100% true story.

Whenever guys try to do the hard handshake to show how good they are at the firm handshake, my impression is that they're trying too hard.

My real impression is really their smile and ease with things.

Comment

What if you show up buck naked with a good handshake?
                Free Script Reads and Notes

​
                ​

Comment

Maybe, you're meeting a manager for the first time that's considering signing you. Or maybe, you're taking your first general meeting.

Any tips on what to consider when making a good first impression? What things to say, not say. How should you dress? Do you go to any shops to get the best look?
                  Write something so amazing they don't care who or what you are.

Comment

Whenever guys try to do the hard handshake to show how good they are at the firm handshake, my impression is that they're trying too hard.

My real impression is really their smile and ease with things.
                    Exactly.

Some of this "firm handshake" stuff feels overdone for me. Think about it, you'll def remember the handshake that was TOO firm ("weird... why's this dude trying to over compensate? [Think: Trump] FUKK ARE THEY HIDING? Bro, now I super don't trust you"). An easy/casual handshake is best IMO.

That, or a buck naked dude with a fukkin vice-grip handshake. That's a dude who's clearly willing to go the extra mile to crack me up! I'm buy'n that guy shots, because this is obviously just the beginning of a RAD night.

Comment

I LOVE Battlefield Earth. And Keeping up with the Kardashians is my jam.

How am I doing in the room?
                      PERFECT!

I trust people with opinions. You can always tell when someone's trying to mirror you.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                        Write something so amazing they don't care who or what you are.

That's going to take a while, lol.

Comment

Exactly.

Some of this "firm handshake" stuff feels overdone for me. Think about it, you'll def remember the handshake that was TOO firm ("weird... why's this dude trying to over compensate? [Think: Trump] FUKK ARE THEY HIDING? Bro, now I super don't trust you"). An easy/casual handshake is best IMO.

That, or a buck naked dude with a fukkin vice-grip handshake. That's a dude who's clearly willing to go the extra mile to crack me up! I'm buy'n that guy shots, because this is obviously just the beginning of a RAD night.

It's not even a good litmus test because every dude that reads that you're supposed to have a firm handshake will try to do a firm handshake. Trump's handshake is the most bizarre thing ever. He pulls it towards him and then does that tug of war thing. They even showed a funny clip of him holding onto the French President's hand for like 4 minutes, then grabs his shoulder. The French President, knowing what Trump is doing, to establish dominance, does it right back. It's pure buffoonery. We live in bizarre times.

Comment

Not to bring up the handshake thing again, but a big fat NO on doing a double. It's ****ing weird, and a little pervy. I can't help but think of that scene in PRIMARY COLORS where we see the slow-mo close up of Travolta/Clinton doing that, and how he puts his hands on someone's arm or elbow. It's just bizarre and weird, and something I wouldn't do.

Though I did get a hug once after a general. That was nice and ENTIRELY in character with the exec I met with.

Also, these meetings are NOT like corporate meetings. Not even close. I've been in plenty of those as well, and it's just not the same. Corporate meetings are very formal, where it's considered good etiquette to robotically look from one person to the next to the next. They want you to be practiced and polished.

Generals or rep meetings are way more casual, so if you come off polished and practiced, it'll be considered weird. You want to be on your best behavior, of course. But you're about to work with people where you're going to have in-depth conversations about murder, sex, love, relationships, violence, and all manner of f*cked up things that go into movies and TV. There's a level of intimacy in this business, in terms of how you relate to people, that just doesn't exist in the corporate world. You have to be willing to go there and talk about things that would normally not sit well with the VP of marketing at Innertec. You don't do that right away (though in TV you might in a staffing meeting because writer rooms do get crazy personal), but it's something you will work toward.

All this is to say that these kinds of meetings are more akin to dating. You want the other person to want you, because ultimately you're trying to get the other person into bed.

Yeah, be yourself. But also make them want you and remember you (in a good way). Whether generals or otherwise, they're meeting lots of people and it's real easy to forget what's his/her name they met with at 11am.

Comment

The hugging thing threw me for a loop. Not that I’m weirded out by it but I felt like Pesci in My Cousin Vinny watching the chef cook with lard. “You people hear about the ongoing #metoo thing in the industry?”

Comment

I'm a dude and the exec was female. So it was all good!

Comment

Working...
                                X