Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #11
JeffLowell

Default Re: Anybody Know Any Agents or Managers Open to Acquiring New Clients?

This is so true it hurts. There's not a rep out there who wouldn't take on a new client that excited them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Everyone accepts new clients and 99% of them say they don't. That's the industry. It's not that much easier for me who has been repped before to get their attention than it is for you. There is no secret list. Query anyone.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
This is so true it hurts. There's not a rep out there who wouldn't take on a new client that excited them.
Agreed-ish.

But, the higher up the ladder you go, the script has to be 101% ready to go to market AS IS and fit through the eye of a needle (with agents). The rub is that it's harder than ever to convince an agent that your script is 101% ready, AS IS.

But, I think a more true statement would be: Mid-level and below will make room for you if they 101% believe you can become a million dollar a script writer or win an Oscar/Globe/Emmy. Agents don't want to "build" anymore (as you surely know). Managers, are still willing to (as you surely know).

Agents used to accept 99% of the way there. Now it seems they want 101% of the way there. And it's exponential prowess. It's the hardest to go from 99% to 101%. 95% of the way there is considered insufficient i.e. "wasn't quite passionate enough about the material."

I think it depends on if we're talking manager or agent.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
Friday

Aren't managers having bigger rosters now? I heard one manager say that he has 50 clients. That's a lot to handle and not so great if you're #49.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #14
Bono

Pet Peeve -- People saying you can give more than 100%. I don't think anyone gives 100% on anything. Even Michael Jordan was only giving 99.9%... Even if you were dying and trying to save your own life at least 0.0001% of your mind is thinking about something stupid like a Friends episode you watched last night.

End rant. Doesn't help I know.

I bet 99.9% of you are very mad at me....
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:15 AM   #15
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Pet Peeve -- People saying you can give more than 100%. I don't think anyone gives 100% on anything. Even Michael Jordan was only giving 99.9%... Even if you were dying and trying to save your own life at least 0.0001% of your mind is thinking about something stupid like a Friends episode you watched last night.

End rant. Doesn't help I know.

I bet 99.9% of you are very mad at me....
Ha! True...

It's merely the "perception" of...
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #16
Splendor
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
It took me 6 options, including 2 to studios, and only a reference from a director finally got me my first manager. And right now, because most pro writers fired their agents, managers are swamped and agents who can take writers now have their pick of established writers, this may be the worst time ever for new writers to get reps. You can do it, but you have to have some kind of track record of success or a reference right now. Keep querying to producers and I wish you the best. It's a LONG game. It took me 12 years to get my first produced film. Hang in there.
This is depressing.
Splendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #17
Bono

It's a terrible industry to be in just like every job in America except plumber.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #18
nguyensquared
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRosebrookMaye View Post
I am having a hard time, a very hard time, finding an agent or a manager that is open to acquiring new clients without a prior history in Hollywood.

Could you please PM me with any agent or manager's e-mails that are open to acquiring new writers? I have a portfolio of edited scripts that I would like to be represented, and they're called THROWAWAY and FLIGHT 365.

Thanks, and take care.
I would preface this by asking if you are sure your material is up to par? It would be disastrous if you are able to move mountains to get an agent/manager to read your material, only to find out it wasn't to the caliber they require.
nguyensquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:31 AM   #19
Vango
User

I wish I could help but I do not have the contacts you would need.
Vango is offline   Reply With Quote