Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #11
NoNeckJoe
Regular

Default Re: New Philosophy

Actually the worst case scenario is this (if you are both unrepped):

Reps pass right out of the gate because you and your partner aren't definitively a team going forward.

I wrote a script with a buddy last year when we were both unrepped, sent it to one manager who I have an open door with and he said the logline sounded great, but he wouldn't even read it since it was written with a partner. He actually called me to explain himself, making a pretty good argument for the fact that my buddy and I would be difficult to represent unless we were going to partner on everything going forward, since that is how we would be presented around town. I have only collaborated on this one spec so his point made sense.

So you can absolutely write solo and separately with a partner, but I think if you're still trying to get repped, I would choose one or the other and stick with that until landing reps. Once you get something set up, then you can start pushing both your solo work and collaborations. Just my two cents.
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
JeffLowell

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but neither of them is repped now. If their worst case is that they're offered representation and they have to commit to being a team for some finite period, that still seems like a step up.

But yeah, if Bono has a solo idea that he loves more than the team one, it's probably smarter to write that.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #13
Bono

Why did you Doc and NoNeckJoe write those projects with partners? Different genres? Someone else's idea? Just curious the decisions.

For me it would be I love horror and my best friend (who doesn't write as much as he used to) wants to write horror and my writing partner is a comedy guy not a horror guy at all, so that's a reason to write with my horror buddy for instance. I could write it myself, but I think the one script we wrote as a team he helped a ton.

For comedy ideas -- the fun part of having a partner is to see if I can make him laugh. And vice versa. It's like your first audience member...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
Actually the worst case scenario is this (if you are both unrepped):

Reps pass right out of the gate because you and your partner aren't definitively a team going forward.

I wrote a script with a buddy last year when we were both unrepped, sent it to one manager who I have an open door with and he said the logline sounded great, but he wouldn't even read it since it was written with a partner. He actually called me to explain himself, making a pretty good argument for the fact that my buddy and I would be difficult to represent unless we were going to partner on everything going forward, since that is how we would be presented around town. I have only collaborated on this one spec so his point made sense.

So you can absolutely write solo and separately with a partner, but I think if you're still trying to get repped, I would choose one or the other and stick with that until landing reps. Once you get something set up, then you can start pushing both your solo work and collaborations. Just my two cents.
Is this spec with your unrepped friend still in play? Did you try to show it to others who may not agree and be fine with reading it.

My other friend was more like Jeff -- he said "they don't give a sh%t if they can make money off the script."

So I was 100% told team or nothing, but if they do read the actual script, and they love it, I don't think that would stop them... but if they won't read the script at all... that's tough.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #15
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but neither of them is repped now. If their worst case is that they're offered representation and they have to commit to being a team for some finite period, that still seems like a step up.

But yeah, if Bono has a solo idea that he loves more than the team one, it's probably smarter to write that.
All true and thank you again for the advice. I can tell Jeff is a working writer just by the way he writes less and says more than I do with 45 paragraphs.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #16
NoNeckJoe
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Is this spec with your unrepped friend still in play? Did you try to show it to others who may not agree and be fine with reading it.

My other friend was more like Jeff -- he said "they don't give a sh%t if they can make money off the script."

So I was 100% told team or nothing, but if they do read the actual script, and they love it, I don't think that would stop them... but if they won't read the script at all... that's tough.

Script is on the shelf for the time being, as I landed new representation this summer for my solo work. But if things fall into place with any of my stuff, I will definitely try to capitalize on that with that jointly written spec. When I sent that spec around to reps and a few producers, there was a lot of damning faint praise and polite passes. So it goes.
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #17
docgonzo

Quote:
Why did you Doc and NoNeckJoe write those projects with partners? Different genres? Someone else's idea? Just curious the decisions.

For me it would be I love horror and my best friend (who doesn't write as much as he used to) wants to write horror and my writing partner is a comedy guy not a horror guy at all, so that's a reason to write with my horror buddy for instance. I could write it myself, but I think the one script we wrote as a team he helped a ton.

For comedy ideas -- the fun part of having a partner is to see if I can make him laugh. And vice versa. It's like your first audience member...
My writing partner is a friend who had a good idea for a TV pitch and we went out to a few places. Now we're working on a pilot with a producer. So yeah, it's TV stuff with the partner, features on my own.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #18
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
My writing partner is a friend who had a good idea for a TV pitch and we went out to a few places. Now we're working on a pilot with a producer. So yeah, it's TV stuff with the partner, features on my own.
That seems like the perfect reason. And your both repped by the same manager? Did you know them before? That's ideal.

I mean the best case would be probably get signed again as a team, but the rep is open to use having side projects even if we focus on the team. Or open into getting us not sharing the same agent, etc.

I have to now go do the hard job. Actually writing.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:06 PM   #19
Rantanplan

Quote:
T

I have to now go do the hard job. Actually writing.

I was going to say, isn't there a natural gut instinct that kicks in? Like a voice in your head telling you, OMG, I have GOT to write this! Or, OMG, I have GOT to tell BFF my idea so we can crank it out together!!

Follow that voice and the rest will come naturally, I would think.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:09 PM   #20
Bono

My problem is I have too many ideas. Some people get inspired one at a time... but I always have many ideas in my head. So my issue is always picking the one idea to love over the others.... The 2 specs I wrote that went wide were very much like what you described though... I get that I have to write this idea, then I don't write it and then another idea sneaks in and it's just gets in the way... in short, i'm an idiot.