Contest results (so far) enough to persuade a manager to read my script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest results (so far) enough to persuade a manager to read my script?

So I'm looking to get a manager... or at least get one to read my stuff. My latest script is a semi-finalist in the Page contest and is a Second Rounder in this year's Austin competition.

Question for those who have way more experience than I do:

Are those contest results enough to mention in a query letter to managers, or should I wait for, hopefully, more?

And should I bother quoting the personal note from Austin? It read:

"Our readers really loved your script! Your story is funny and highly original, displaying a fresh writing voice. Keep up the good work!"

I'm clear-eyed enough to know if they had *really* loved it, it would have made the Austin finals, but the script is still in contention with Page, so there's that.

Anyway, all advice welcomed!

Re: Contest results (so far) enough to persuade a manager to read my script?

Congrats on your success thus far. Since all advice is welcomed, I would wait. You have nothing to lose in holding off another month or whatever to see if it goes any further. Winner or finalist is of course much more appealing than any lesser placement sounds.

And I would not include the Austin quote because everyone else will also infer that if your script was that freaking awesome it would have advanced further.

Good luck.

Comment

I see the wisdom of waiting as well, but you might test the waters by sending out a single query to a prospective manager with "Page Semifinalist" in the subject heading. I would also not mention Austin, since it's tantamount to saying it didn't advance.

Comment

I'm going to give you the opposite advice of Muck and say don't wait, for a few reasons.

First, just because your script was a second rounder/semi-finalist doesn't means it's any lesser of a script than the ones that moved on, or that industry professionals won't love it. The script I entered didn't even make it into the second round (at least I don't think it did), yet it landed me a manager and had a prod co attached (this was before I even submitted it to Austin). A subsequent draft was a finalist in another major contest, and got me in at an agency and another prod co.

The lesson is, you just never know. Just because it doesn't go far in a contest doesn't mean it's not a good or even great script.

As for querying, I do think it's sometimes helpful to mention significant placements in highly respected contests. I was a semi-finalist last year in one of the network fellowships and mentioned that in my queries for the pilot that was rejected by Austin. I believe it did help get me a few more reads. But I don't think it's a great idea to use the quote; reps/producers simply won't care. They're interested in the logline (make that great) and if they love the script they'll want to know more about you. The quote might be a nice touch for what amounts to being a rejection letter, but I don't think it's going to sway industry peeps.

So if you really believe you have a good script and think it's ready to send out into the world, why wait? Just make sure your logline's tight and let that do the talking.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will weigh in with their own opinions.

Comment

I'm a SF in Page and AFF this year. I'm letting those babies run until I start querying managers. Who knows--maybe I won't even have to...

Comment

To be clear, I don't mean to suggest the OP hold off on querying, just that it would seem premature to make mention of contest status as an enticement at this stage.

Comment

Thanks to all for your input! You've given me much to mull over.

I have decided not to mention the quote from Austin because, flattering as it is, it does highlight the fact that I didn't make it to the finals.

My concern about waiting for the Page results is, right now I'm a semi-finalist, which is pretty cool and if I wait a week, I'll either be a finalist -- which is cooler -- or I'm out entirely.

At least now I can flag to managers: "hey, the Page contest people think this guy has potential."

But if I wait a week, then maybe that potential flag goes away.

I don't know. Obviously there are no absolute right and wrong answers here...

I'm gonna call heads, see what happens. ;-)

Comment

You can mention placements in your query but I wouldn't do quotes -- these reps don't know the person who said that so it will likely mean nothing to them.

In the past I've used a very simple template for my queries:

Hi xxxxx,

My script ____________ is an action thriller about _____________________.

It was a finalist in X, Y, and Z.

I would love to send for your consideration.

--Ducky

Less is more. Be concise and to the point. They read hundreds of emails a day and don't want to look at your page long query with synopsis and background of your life and all that. Just pitch them the idea and give them a reason to request it.
                Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Just a quick note, when I was QF of the Nics, I queried and people read it. When I was a SF with the same script, people read it (even more quickly). I ended up getting two offers of representation (before my script didn't make the finals) so whatever you do, don't wait. Strike while the iron is hot.
                  Note: It helps if your contest is noticeable.
                  EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                    Just a quick note, when I was QF of the Nics, I queried and people read it. When I was a SF with the same script, people read it (even more quickly). I ended up getting two offers of representation (before my script didn't make the finals) so whatever you do, don't wait. Strike while the iron is hot.
                    Note: It helps if your contest is noticeable.
                    EJ
                    Vey interesting, EJ. May I ask:

-- Did you send out a lot of queries or do a more targeted campaign to get that response?

-- I assume the Page contest qualifies as "noticeable"?

Based on your recommendation, I'll have to hurry up and do my queries before Page whittles the list down to the finalists next week!

Comment

I wrote to all the managers that *I* wanted to work with. So it was targeted to a sense. I would say Page is noticeable, but it's not up there with Nics, or Austin (IMO).
                      EJ

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                        You can mention placements in your query but I wouldn't do quotes -- these reps don't know the person who said that so it will likely mean nothing to them.

In the past I've used a very simple template for my queries:

Hi xxxxx,

My script ____________ is an action thriller about _____________________.

It was a finalist in X, Y, and Z.

I would love to send for your consideration.

--Ducky

Less is more. Be concise and to the point. They read hundreds of emails a day and don't want to look at your page long query with synopsis and background of your life and all that. Just pitch them the idea and give them a reason to request it.
                        Ducky is 100% correct - this is really all the information managers/reps want or need in a query letter. And this may seem obvious, but make sure the email is proofed and written in a consistent font - it's amazing how many people cut and paste and end up with 2-more different fonts.

Good luck!
                        ScriptGal
                        Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
                        Fifteen Years Development Experience
                        http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

+1
                          We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Originally posted by ScriptGal View Post
                            Ducky is 100% correct - this is really all the information managers/reps want or need in a query letter. And this may seem obvious, but make sure the email is proofed and written in a consistent font - it's amazing how many people cut and paste and end up with 2-more different fonts.

Good luck!
                            This is great information.

Would one mention the awards in the subject line, e.g., for Ducky's email, would the query be something like, "SCRIPT TITLE XXX, finalist at Austin, semis at Nicholl -- writer seeks manager"? Or keep the awards mention only in the body of the email?
                            Last edited by Concord; 09-11-2014, 04:27 PM. Reason: clarified question

Comment

Originally posted by Concord View Post
                              This is great information.

Would one mention the awards in the subject line, e.g., for Ducky's email, would the query be something like, "SCRIPT TITLE XXX, finalist at Austin, semis at Nicholl -- writer seeks manager"? Or keep the awards mention only in the body of the email?
                              Hard to say. Depends on the placing and contest and if that moves the needle enough for the rep to open it if they weren't going to before.

I know people who have but I don't know if it was requested because of the placement in the title or the logline or both. You could test it out and see.
                              Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
                              X