Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

First post. I've been reading these threads for a the past year as a fly on the wall, and would like to say how much I appreciate all those who post their wisdom and experience on here. It's been incredibly educational and helpful. Thank you.

Here's my situation, and apologies if this has been covered before. My search didn't bring up any hits for a scenario like this.

A very kind manager at a well-known company read two of my scripts and liked my writing, but not enough to want to rep me. His emails to me were very respectful, and I so appreciate all the time and thoughts he gave me. In fact, the way he acted toward me made me think more highly of the company, which I'll remember.

But he's just one of the managers at the company; there are others whom I could query with the loglines for these two scripts. My question is, "Should I?-

(FYI - Both scripts placed in this year's Nicholl, and one placed at Austin, so I'm motivated to strike while the iron's somewhat hot.)

In general, if a manager passes on a script, is he speaking only for himself or is he speaking on behalf of his company? But... subjectivity: one manager's impression of a script might not match another's, and I wouldn't want to lose what very few opportunities I have to query the other managers.

Perhaps I should I wait a couple months to query a different manager at that company with my two current loglines. Or perhaps it's best to query that company only when I have a new script.

Thanks very much for your opinions!
    Save the date: 2022, 2024, 2026, until the end of time.

Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

Unless the guys are partners and run the firm together -- I say query the other managers at any company. I did that and got signed FYI. Top guys ignored me, 3rd guy asked for the script but I never heard back -- 4th guy I queried he read the script and signed us. So you never know...

It sounds like you had great success so you don't have to limit yourself at all. Congrats on that.

I would start with querying other places before you drill down at one firm though. I believe unlike agents, most of these managers work independently... but I could be very wrong. That's just my impression. Feel more like real estate people who work under 1 company name, but they're all in it for themselves and company just pays for the phones and paper and pens.

Comment

As someone else on this board said long ago-

"Query 'em all and let God sort it out."

Comment

Bono - thanks for talking about your experience. You're one of the many members I've learned from as that fly on the wall, so thank you.

And, yep: I've been emailing quite a few places that might be a good match.

If managers *are* like real estate brokers who fly semi-independently under one banner, then that's helpful to envision.

The manager who read both my scripts was one of the few who responded to my query. That dearth is one reason I don't want to give the impression of going behind his back; I don't want to burn a bridge. Perhaps the size of the management company could play a factor. That is, if it has 10 managers or three, the company with three might internally talk to each other about incoming queries. If that's the case, then I think I'd need to tread lightly.

Comment

Agreed!

Query away...

I'm a little confused tho, these are the same scripts the other manager already read?

Whatever. Query...

Send to other managers, NOW, while you can mention Nicholl. Don't wait months. Likewise, I believe most managers are essentially solo, whereas getting signed by CAA is done by committee, literally (I've mentioned this story before: Ex wanted to sign Chris Nolan off the Memento script. She and her colleague were down to rep him. No support from the rest of the agency. Ultimately HAD to pass on him.)

POINT: Every rep's taste is different. I'm positive there are reps that look at other rep's clients [in the same shop] like "Meh... I don't get why you rep them. I think MY clients are more talented. I'd never rep them, but do you." The other rep feels like "I feel the same about your clients, they're pretty good, but I like my roster more."

That's not a convo anyone would have, but that's what they're thinking. So, yeah, query different people at the same shop. Just make sure they're RIGHT for your material. When they get annoyed is when they know you didn't research their taste. "Dude... I'm known for horror/action... why you querying me about a Rom/Com? You just picked my name out of a hat."
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Gucci - copy all that. And thanks for your perspective on what reps might be thinking. If/when I'm repped, I'd want my rep to feel that way about me.

Yeah: the manager in question read both my scripts, liked them, put ultimately passed. He's one of a few managers at this company that I'm eyeing, so I don't want to give up on the company, but also don't want to give the impression that I'm going behind his back.

And I hear you about targeting my queries versus emailing every company under the sun. I try to keep it focused.

Thanks!

Comment

At what level did you place in this year's Nicholl? I know they announced the finalists, because i know one of the finalists.

Use it as long as you can. Were you a semi-finalist in both? You should query anyone that you would like to work with, even if they're at the same company. Bono has a good point if they're partners they'll prolly speak to each other, but i've been known to do it.

Big guys don't seem to be responding. I'm looking into boutique and smaller managers now. Sent 8 queries yesterday and received two read requests. One has one of the best known talents in the past couple of decades, so i'm expecting to be ghosted on that one.

Sent hundreds with no responses except 2. crazy. It used to be that you could get a response at a rate of about 10%-- not the case now.

Anyway, good luck. hopefully all the ATA/WGA mess will start getting settled through negotiations. As it is now, people don't seem to be reading new material.

Good luck with your project, and welcome to the boards.
              FA4
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Thank you, FA4!

One script made the quarterfinals at Nicholl, which was a first for me. Of course, I queried like mad after that, and am still doing so even though the finalists have been announced. (This same script went nowhere at Austin, so there's that whole subjectivity thing rearing it's head.)

The other script made the top 10% at Nicholl and 2nd Round at Austin. Certainly not the upper echelon, but it was at least *something* to include in a query.

Thanks for your perspective on querying vs. read rate. Eight queries and two read requests sounds enviable, especially given the current climate. Based on all I've read on DDP, I keep my expectations low, try as hard as I can, and when I fail, try again. Good luck with those reads you got. Hopefully no ghosting.

Comment

Don't let your contest scores deter you! EVER!

Again, my scripts (fukkin 2 of them) that didn't make it past 1st round in Nicholl got me signed at CAA and an offer from a Matrix producer to write something for him (I'll be honest so you see what I mean).

Do NOT let these contests determine your VALUE! They are often DEAD FUKKING WRONG! about what Hollywood wants.

Comment

Word.

Thanks, Gucci.

Comment

They did their job. Proved TO YOU that you are a good writer -- I think doing well in those contests can validate you that way, but yes the scripts merit and how far they go or you go --- is up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAZluvr View Post
                        Thank you, FA4!

One script made the quarterfinals at Nicholl, which was a first for me. Of course, I queried like mad after that, and am still doing so even though the finalists have been announced. (This same script went nowhere at Austin, so there's that whole subjectivity thing rearing it's head.)

The other script made the top 10% at Nicholl and 2nd Round at Austin. Certainly not the upper echelon, but it was at least *something* to include in a query.

Thanks for your perspective on querying vs. read rate. Eight queries and two read requests sounds enviable, especially given the current climate. Based on all I've read on DDP, I keep my expectations low, try as hard as I can, and when I fail, try again. Good luck with those reads you got. Hopefully no ghosting.
                        congratulations. and you're right subjectivity is a bitch.

keep keepin on...
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                          They did their job. Proved TO YOU that you are a good writer -- I think doing well in those contests can validate you that way, but yes the scripts merit and how far they go or you go --- is up to you.
                          Yup! Now's the time to hustle!

Comment

Thanks to all who contributed their thoughts! Very much appreciated. Onward!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                              I say query the other managers at any company. I did that and got signed FYI.
                              Same. Sent a query about the same script to two managers at a top firm. One responded instantly requesting to read it, and asked to rep me three days later after reading two of my scripts and loving both. Ironically, the other manager's assistant responded the next day requesting to read that first script as well, lol. By then I was already with their firm though, so...

Comment

Working...
                              X