Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

Thanks, Lahlowen, for sharing your experience.

Just to add a coda to my original post: After discussing my situation with a couple members via DM, I decided to not contact other managers at that particular company. The company is well-known, but small (i.e., it has only a handful of managers). Being turned down by one manager this time, and then immediately approaching that manager's colleague could be perceived as disrespectful, even if I mean no disrespect.

Since I'm new to all this, and like many here, playing the long game, I'd rather play it safe in this situation, and take calculated risks in others.

I *do* plan to re-approach that small company. When I do, I might even contact a different manager there. But for now... laying low.
    Save the date: 2022, 2024, 2026, until the end of time.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAZluvr View Post
      Thanks, Lahlowen, for sharing your experience.

Just to add a coda to my original post: After discussing my situation with a couple members via DM, I decided to not contact other managers at that particular company. The company is well-known, but small (i.e., it has only a handful of managers). Being turned down by one manager this time, and then immediately approaching that manager's colleague could be perceived as disrespectful, even if I mean no disrespect.

Since I'm new to all this, and like many here, playing the long game, I'd rather play it safe in this situation, and take calculated risks in others.

I *do* plan to re-approach that small company. When I do, I might even contact a different manager there. But for now... laying low.
      Nothing at all wrong with giving it a breather and circling back later, yep. Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

Give it some time, but it's amazing how sometimes the top guys or gals can get something and the junior manager is more nervous to sign people. So the lower people can work against you too...

I really would love to know the answer to this btw.... when anyone interviews a rep how that works. Because at agencies they all seem to work like ants together and I can't even tell how much they care about 1 client when so many of them share.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          Give it some time, but it's amazing how sometimes the top guys or gals can get something and the junior manager is more nervous to sign people. So the lower people can work against you too...

I really would love to know the answer to this btw.... when anyone interviews a rep how that works. Because at agencies they all seem to work like ants together and I can't even tell how much they care about 1 client when so many of them share.
          Isn't it similar to what they're looking for? *Someone who you can imagine having a relationship with for several years?*

I'd say it's also...

Who has what sounds to you like the best strategy moving forward.

Who is most excited about your work.

Who's made the most sales lately.

Who's confident they can get you in rooms.

Who wants to go out with THIS script not the NEXT ONE.

Etc...

How many boxes does each rep tick?

Or did I misunderstand your question?
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I was saying that the top managers may be more likely to say yes to a good writer they think they can develop versus junior manager who are looking for homerun clients. Now it can be opposite too with low level person being more willing to take a chance... but there is something to being the owner or partner and not afraid to make a decision.

The way great scripts can get bad coverage because if the lower level person recommends a spec their boss doesn’t like they get more crap than just saying no to everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              I was saying that the top managers may be more likely to say yes to a good writer they think they can develop versus junior manager who are looking for homerun clients. Now it can be opposite too with low level person being more willing to take a chance... but there is something to being the owner or partner and not afraid to make a decision.

The way great scripts can get bad coverage because if the lower level person recommends a spec their boss doesn't like they get more crap than just saying no to everything.
              Gotcha.

Yeah, I think that sh!t is definitely going on. I'm not sure I've EVER had anything land on the lower level (which is why I prefer to try to avoid them now). I think that lesson cemented for me when my script did ZERO at Nicholl, yet it gets me signed to CAA and the producer from the Matrix is calling me from on set to offer me an assignment (Literally I could hear "Rolling!" in the bg and he's kinda whispering).

But, that's where it gets tricky. Truth is, my own agent didn't GET that script. I came in with dark family drama (Think: American beauty), 4 weeks later I have a gritty script (Think: Hell or High Water) dark/violent. Agent didn't get it, didn't want to take it out. My ex was like "Fukk that, I dig it, I'll take it out myself." So she did. It landed.

Two points here:

1) Agents (etc) have highly different tastes. My agent saw me as the Dark-Emotional-Drama guy. Agent was kinda shocked by that script (how does he go from THIS to THAT?? Does not compute). My ex knew me, knew I had layers. She likes dark sh!t, perfectly fine with fukked up violence, so long as it's smartly written (TIP: If you're gonna submit to her, your best bet is if it has some kind of fukked up element to it).

2) Having someone higher up the food chain take your sh!t out can get you DIRECT reads from the BOSS. But! If you land someone with that prowess who has those high level relationships whereby dealing with the higher ups direct (i.e. can call anyone), will they actually work for you? Or is it better to go with someone newer who is hungry to hustle, but who cannot call anyone, and struggles to be heard through the noise with even lower level exes... and who plain do NOT have direct relationships with the higher ups?

Idk that answer. It's a crap shoot. This sh!t's a mindfukk.

Comment

I go back and forth on this. With Agents I'll send it to 6 people at one place at the same time, because the chances are so low.

Managers? Depending on size, I will do a few at a time. I mean **** it, what have you got to lose. Hustle it. Send it. Forget it. With the current landscape it's worse than ever. People to read, but not many, because they're so busy picking up the Agent slack.

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way. Just get your **** out there. Time's a wastin'.

BTW, my opinion may be different tomorrow.
                FA4
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Same... my opinion changes by the second. Don't hold me to ANY of my dumbass opinions.

Comment

Working...
                  X