Ouch. That's cold, man.
    but not inaccurate

Comment

• Re: The Ethics of Reading

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
      From Amazon:

Ouch. That's cold, man.
      I think he's working against himself by saying stuff like:

He has a short attention span and low-level reading comprehension ability, leading to speculation by some that he may suffer some sort of brain tumor.
      I've got the book, it's helpful in ways. It always depends what the writer does with it. This book isn't meant to make you the next so-and-so, it's meant to help you along your path with tips like:

TIP 212 - SCENE AGITATOR - When the guys race to the hospital to see what they were doing there last night, their doctor is busy dealing with a patient, making it difficult to get their questions answered. This plays out much better than had the doctor had all the time in the world.
      It helps 'flavor' the script.

Comment

Chief = "Carson Reeves"

Comment

If you've gotta take someone apart, that is how you do it.

Damn.

And on point.

I always forget that the 12 Vogler synopsis was probably the most helpful thing I ever read on screenwriting.

Comment

Not to digress, but: "Chief", I mean Seveer Nosrac, just gave Tony Kushner's LINCOLN a "what-the-hell-did-I-just-read."

Thus confirming, after his similar dismissal of WINTER'S BONE, that, while he may be clever at dealing with the gift wrap of scripts, when it comes to what's inside he has the brainpower of a baked potato.

Now if I get just free myself of the habit of jaunting over to the accursed website every other day, to hear echoes of the train wreck going on behind the scenes...: ("Who the hell does this Spielberg SOB think he is, the pointy-bearded goofball hasn't made a good movie since MINORITY REPORT and I'm supposed to respect that? What have you done for us today... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR US TODAY??? {it's a conspiracy, I tell you! MEIN KAMPF! Get me a copy of MEIN KAMPF!!!}").

Now back to your regularly scheduled, and certainly more educational, discussion....

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
              Not to digress, but: "Chief", I mean Seveer Nosrac, just gave Tony Kushner's LINCOLN a "what-the-hell-did-I-just-read."

Thus confirming, after his similar dismissal of WINTER'S BONE, that, while he may be clever at dealing with the gift wrap of scripts, when it comes to what's inside he has the brainpower of a baked potato.

Now if I get just free myself of the habit of jaunting over to the accursed website every other day, to hear echoes of the train wreck going on behind the scenes...: ("Who the hell does this Spielberg SOB think he is, the pointy-bearded goofball hasn't made a good movie since MINORITY REPORT and I'm supposed to respect that? What have you done for us today... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR US TODAY??? {it's a conspiracy, I tell you! MEIN KAMPF! Get me a copy of MEIN KAMPF!!!}").

Now back to your regularly scheduled, and certainly more educational, discussion....
              You seem to have something personal against Mr. Reeves.

It's not healthy.

Comment

I know. I have these seizures whenever the assho - the guy's name is mentioned, so I have to state it backwards. Terrible affliction. Get up every day, red saliva running down my face just trying to figure out how -- from my lonely dugout on the prairie -- I can afflict all the people whom I think -- in my frenzied delusionary state -- ever said one wrong thing to me.

I'd scare myself, but I know I haven't got the intestinal fortitude to do anymore than howl at the moon when my cycle rolls around once a month. (I'm a kind of were-coyote, as opposed to an honest werewolf, and not a very interesting one at that).

So you're totally right, "Chief," as usual. Like all the other Carson critics making chugholes in the pavement of "the biz," I really have nothing better to do than write my futile hackneyed scripts and novels and try to bring down, with measly words, my infinite betters.

It's just jealousy you see, stupid conniving jealousy. Nobody ever had a point about the Eads psuedonym, and no one ever will.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                  I know. I have these seizures whenever the assho - the guy's name is mentioned, so I have to state it backwards. Terrible affliction. Get up every day, red saliva running down my face just trying to figure out how -- from my lonely dugout on the prairie -- I can afflict all the people whom I think -- in my frenzied delusionary state -- ever said one wrong thing to me.

I'd scare myself, but I know I haven't got the intestinal fortitude to do anymore than howl at the moon when my cycle rolls around once a month. (I'm a kind of were-coyote, as opposed to an honest werewolf, and not a very interesting one at that).

So you're totally right, "Chief," as usual. Like all the other Carson critics making chugholes in the pavement of "the biz," I really have nothing better to do than write my futile hackneyed scripts and novels and try to bring down, with measly words, my infinite betters.

It's just jealousy you see, stupid conniving jealousy. Nobody ever had a point about the Eads psuedonym, and no one ever will.
                  No, almost everyone on DD has a negative stance towards Carson's practices (main one being charging $1000 whilst being a producer).

But with you, I don't know, I smell history.

Comment

I blame him for the cur bitch I used to run with getting poisoned.

We ate a jack rabbit that had subsisted off loco weed, and she didn't make it.

I had to have a scapegoat, and there the Shadster was....

Comment

I assume that those with the view of "I need the scripts to learn and have a right to them" have put all of their drafts - not just the final product, but all drafts into the public domain? There is always someone greener than you, so they deserve the right to learn from you too.

I still haven't seen a suitable retort to the question of why the selling draft is more suitable than the final script either - the final script is being made and therefore was considered superior to the others, this is what you should be benchmarking against, not an earlier draft that was changed for whatever reason.

But then its not as cool to have a script of a film that is already out is it, people can watch it or read it for themselves and you don't get to be the centre of attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Bairn_Writer View Post
                        I assume that those with the view of "I need the scripts to learn and have a right to them" have put all of their drafts - not just the final product, but all drafts into the public domain? There is always someone greener than you, so they deserve the right to learn from you too.

I still haven't seen a suitable retort to the question of why the selling draft is more suitable than the final script either - the final script is being made and therefore was considered superior to the others, this is what you should be benchmarking against, not an earlier draft that was changed for whatever reason.

But then its not as cool to have a script of a film that is already out is it, people can watch it or read it for themselves and you don't get to be the centre of attention.
                        Your point is certainly understandable - but why does someone need to come up with a suitable retort for you? The fact that they can't means nothing - other than perhaps to you or like minded people. But the converse is true on the other side. Nothing you say or fail to say rises above inconsequential ramblings (at least from reading all the posts on the subject - it appears so).

Both sides bring up some very interesting points - though you can either accept or discount that as I am someone weakly straddling the fence.

You've made up your mind, they've made up theirs.

Idle curiosity has me wondering what percentage of people on a hot topic such as this have changed their mind because of the hyperbolic musings from someone on the other side. Or are a lot of these posts just for the benefit of the poster.

Like mine.

I will ask this though - as a writer of a spec that goes wide - what harm do you suffer if someone not authorized reads it - and that is all? No sharing, no voicing of opinion, no e-mailing to scriptshadow. I don't ask this question suggesting there isn't any harm - or that there is harm - it's an honest question meant to probe at a lesser discussed issue.

Attempting to go off the grid for the rest of 2012 . . . so Happy New Years to everyone and hope 2013 gets you what and where you want.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by RobWriter View Post
                          ...I will ask this though - as a writer of a spec that goes wide - what harm do you suffer if someone not authorized reads it - and that is all? No sharing, no voicing of opinion, no e-mailing to scriptshadow. I don't ask this question suggesting there isn't any harm - or that there is harm - it's an honest question meant to probe at a lesser discussed issue...
                          That's not the issue. The issue is public scrutiny of incomplete works that the author/copyright holder has not authorised.

Wedding photographers don't barge into dressing rooms unannounced and snap off photos of the bride still doing her make-up, do they?

Comment

Here's the problem, people aren't behaving responsibly. And what is going to inevitably happen is that powerful entities are gonna lay the smack down on all major sites. Poor PJ got the crunch put on her because other people don't know how to act.

People are posting spec scripts that are currently in play. That is fvcked. And they're not gonna stop doing stuff like that because there is no pressure from their peers. No one says, "hey, man, you probably shouldn't be posting that."

Comment

Why haven't the studios gone after Eads?

Comment

Because he's a shadow.
                                It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Working...
                                X