No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: District 9 - "Landmark Film"

*Spoiler*

Can anybody tell me why the aliens didn't use their guns throughout the past 20 years before the guy came along? Were they waiting for them? You would think no matter how stupid they were that they would still know how to pull the trigger and shoot.

And secondly, why were there such a vast intelligence difference between the aliens? Some of them were average, of human-level intelligence, one was practically an engineering genius, and then another lot of them were full on ape-status, rummaging around for trash and just acting dumb. That confused me.

I enjoyed it though- I enjoy any movie that takes a real different spin on a genre like that.

*END OF SPOILER*

OH, one more thing. Anybody know how this was shot for so cheap when it looked so much better than a lot of 100 million dollar action films out there?
    Write.Sell.Repeat.

Theoretically...

Comment

Pretty sure some of the aliens did use their guns in a few shots...hence why the constant patrols for alien contraband.

And as someone else mentioned earlier some of the aliens are remaining as drones while others are "evolving" to take a step towards leadership...in essence to take over the hive.
      One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Overall fun movie and I like that they set up a potential sequel (we'll see if this one makes enough money)

There were some head scratchers though like the gun issue and why the aliens never fought back. You'd think 1.5 million aliens could at least keep themselves from being treated like garbage for 20 years.

The whole fuel thing was a little silly as well. Like why did the small ship drop off the mother ship just to lose some little bit of fuel and then it takes them 20 years to find it. How'd it get lost to begin with and is the film trying to say that that little bit of fuel powers that whole ship and that was the only reason why they couldn't leave?

Overall pretty cool and I'd recommend it though.

Comment

fantastic movie.

why the hell would you *need* to know the reasons for the alien arrival?

the entire point is that it doesn't matter. they came, and we abused them. that's the story.

i don't think this movie is for everyone, but it is certainly something you have never seen before, and for that, i have to say kudos to the creator. very unique, compelling way to tell a story.

this gets an A- from me.

Comment

Keep in mind, folks — 30 million to make this film.
            Transformers = $200 Million.

So 1 Transformers flick = Districts 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.6

and District 9 will hopefully get a Best Picture nomination, to boot.
            "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
            - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Saw it last night - happily, a packed theatre. It was fantastic. Sure, there were a few plot holes/ambiguities but they didn't bother me one iota.

It was fantastic to sit in a theatre with a crowd that was completely enthralled by a film with a) an original story and b) no stars at all. That was incredible. And even more incredible: smaller budget than Julie and Julia (!?).

Funny that one needs attachments to sell a script in this day and age since Slumdog and D9 seem to have demonstrated that audiences will respond to a story and good acting without the aid of recognizable faces. Death to the star system.

*spoilers*
              And D9 was genuinely funny, too. Pig Gun. Cat Food. Christopher Johnson. "Fvck. I thought you said not to shoot them".

Interestingly, I read one review that panned it a touch (not in a big way) for making the apartheid subtext so heavy handed and obvious. There's no doubt that living under apartheid was a big influence, but I think even more current, relevant and intelligent was the mirroring of the plight of modern-day refugees. If anything, that was for me the central thematic. This is almost an exact recreation of the realities of most inter-African refugees (Darfur, Rwanda, etc...).

Comment

Originally posted by tha son View Post
                *Spoiler*

OH, one more thing. Anybody know how this was shot for so cheap when it looked so much better than a lot of 100 million dollar action films out there?

1. No big h-wood salaries
                2. Shot on Digital - The Red camera. Even if you had three of four Red Cameras on set, that would only be 6k a week to rent them. Actually, you could BUY 4 of them for 100k.

Comment

District 9: Worst Movie EVER ! As per...

hEY, someone emailed me this...

I don't share all his views but respect it.

Does this guy have some good points on YouTube???

Last edited by Ben; 08-15-2009, 09:02 AM.
                  You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
                  Paul Harvey
                  -
                  -
                  -

Comment

Re: District 9: Worst Movie EVER ! As per...

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                    hEY, someone emailed me this...

District 9 (Plan 9 used the number "9") --

Is District 9 Worst movie??? -- he's opinion does have some conviction...

I don't share all his views but respect it.

Does this guy have some good points???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_7WE4rA4BY
                    I don't respect his opinion. This guy is a complete moron. All he wants is action, action, action.

He's even annoying to listen to. His points can be easily invalidated if it was worth anyone's time. And swearing does not equal conviction.

ETA: Ben, I'm not sure whether I'm angrier at you for posting that garbage or at myself for watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by thought_arcade View Post
                      I don't respect his opinion. This guy is a complete moron. All he wants is action, action, action.

He's even annoying to listen to. His points can be easily invalidated if it was worth anyone's time. And swearing does not equal conviction.
                      Hey thought arcade --

Why is YouTube full of these guys.
                      If most of YouTube and the new generation forum hate this movie, what does say?

Just a question.

No causing a war, just wondering/
                      You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
                      Paul Harvey
                      -
                      -
                      -

Comment

I did not notice the entire film that it was shot on digital. Did anyone notice it? It looked like film to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                          Hey thought arcade --

Why is YouTube full of these guys.
                          If most of YouTube and the new generation forum hate this movie, what does say?

Just a question.

No causing a war, just wondering/
                          Well, what's particularly stupid is that he keeps calling people who liked the movie "fanboys" but if you check out his hyperbolic love-fest for Transformers 2... well... pot and kettle.

>If most of YouTube and the new generation forum hate this movie, what >does say?

Absolutely nothing. the loudest voice isn't always the clearest. And I seriously doubt that most of youtube itself hates this movie. This will clearly be #1 at the BO this weekend (and in fairness, almost nothing is opening against it).

People who liked this movie tell their friends. People who didn't get on their webcam and scream at the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                            I did not notice the entire film that it was shot on digital. Did anyone notice it? It looked like film to me.
                            it was shot on the RED One digital cinema camera. the same camera as used on The Book of Eli.

digital grain was added in post to give it a more natural "film" look.

Comment

I have to say I find some of the points highlighted as implausible or as potential plot holes to be a little bit silly. Why didn't they rise up and rebel?

Well imagine if the situation were reversed. You're on a completely alien planet and have been herded into a slum internment camp and held there for nearly thirty years. You know virtually nothing beyond the wire fences. So you rise you, you rebel and you storm the camp fences. Then what?

The aliens are leaderless, they're demoralized, and they're terrorized. I'm not surprised they stayed out and relatively dosile.
                              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Oh, and that Youtube guy is absolutely retarded. He missed every thematic point Blomkamp was trying to make and goes off on a tirade not because the movie was bad in its own right, but because it wasn't the movie he thought it was going to be. He wanted a flash-bang action movie and he didn't get it and that makes the movie crap, apparently.
                                Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X