Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inception Questions

So I just saw Inception again and a few questions popped up in my head.

Who's mind does the heist of Cillian Murphy occur in?

Why does the chemist go along with the heist?

Why doesn't Cobb just fly his kids to France and meet them?

If the dream world is designed before the heist, how is it they adapt to what they find in the upper levels? i.e. the pinwheel that shows up in the safe in the last level.

Btw, this isn't some sneaky way to undermine the movie. I love it and think it's brilliant even if these questions don't have logical answers.

Re: Inception Questions

All will become clear once you realize that you did not actually see the movie again.

Comment

Originally posted by Architeuthis Dux View Post
      All will become clear once you realize that you did not actually see the movie again.
      and it was actually a dream WAKE UP!

Comment

Do you mean the first dream? It's the chemist's, and that's why drives the van while the others dream again. Slashfilm posted a scan of Nolan's graph of the dream layers here, taken from Nolan's published script.

Money, I'd presume. They're all rather mercenary.

Because... well... uh... look! A spinning top!

Also, this.

If the dream world is designed before the heist, how is it they adapt to what they find in the upper levels? i.e. the pinwheel that shows up in the safe in the last level.

The particulars of how they design the dreams (basically, Ellen Page's entire character aside from "I'm the person who learns things so that the audience can learn things too") is thin, although I think that's intentional. We need to know that architecture of dreams exists, and we need to have an idea that certain people are very good at it, but the movie isn't about building dreams but rather about what goes on inside the dreams once you've built them. I know, I know, it's frustrating to me too (c'mon, Nolan, you couldn't have given us one brief scene of them in a dream Page had only half-built?). If I had to guess, I'd say that the dream isn't brought into being until it starts, so up until that moment, as long as the architect is there, things can be altered on the fly.

Comment

a side note, I think south park hit the nail on the head with inception with:

"when the dream experts go in they attempt to take the subject to a dream, within a dream"
          "like a taco within a taco?"
          "exactly. and firemen have the ability to bring ladders into other people's dreams."
          "wait wait woah woah, how can you take a ladder into a dream?"
          "because the firemen dreams aren't like dreams at all. they're like a dream within a matrix within a dream."

INCEPTION BABY
          Originally posted by Great White Mark
          Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1939332
            Originally posted by Great White Mark
            Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post

Do you mean the first dream? It's the chemist's, and that's why drives the van while the others dream again. Slashfilm posted a scan of Nolan's graph of the dream layers here, taken from Nolan's published script.

Money, I'd presume. They're all rather mercenary.

Because... well... uh... look! A spinning top!

Also, this.

The particulars of how they design the dreams (basically, Ellen Page's entire character aside from "I'm the person who learns things so that the audience can learn things too") is thin, although I think that's intentional. We need to know that architecture of dreams exists, and we need to have an idea that certain people are very good at it, but the movie isn't about building dreams but rather about what goes on inside the dreams once you've built them. I know, I know, it's frustrating to me too (c'mon, Nolan, you couldn't have given us one brief scene of them in a dream Page had only half-built?). If I had to guess, I'd say that the dream isn't brought into being until it starts, so up until that moment, as long as the architect is there, things can be altered on the fly.
              Hey JC,

Great answers. I totally missed that it was inside the chemist's mind. Your other answers made me lol. I'm gonna watch it again tonight so maybe I'll have more questions for you later.

Comment

Originally posted by nou View Post
                a side note, I think south park hit the nail on the head with inception with:

"when the dream experts go in they attempt to take the subject to a dream, within a dream"
                "like a taco within a taco?"
                "exactly. and firemen have the ability to bring ladders into other people's dreams."
                "wait wait woah woah, how can you take a ladder into a dream?"
                "because the firemen dreams aren't like dreams at all. they're like a dream within a matrix within a dream."
                What I find amusing is that the South Park episode makes as much logical sense - if not more than the actual film. Yes, even the inclusion of Matt Hasselbeck.

Comment

Loved that South Park episode.

Comment

Very late to this obviously and I've only watched the first hour (and my head is already spinning), but from a pure screenwriting point of view the amount of exposition in this story is ridiculous. It reminds me of some of my old classes when a new screenwriter would try to tackle some weird world or concept and just explain, explain, explain.

The mood music does not cover it up.

Maybe I'll like the second half better...
                    Quato Lives!

Comment

I'm not sure it makes sense to simply bring the kids to France and live with them there. From the point of international law, that would be considered kidnapping, as Leo has no legal status over the kids. The kids would be deported back to USA and Leo would end up in a French prison.

Comment

Plus both the American government and Cobalt(?) Engineering were looking for him along with a slew of other corporate types he swindled in dream land. Too dangerous to draw attention to the kids. That works right?

Comment

Working...
                        X