Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Girls

FauxHemians is a great title for a tv show set in SoHo... so much better than Girls.
    where is the creativity???!!!

Comment

FauxHemians
      Where is my rifle?
      Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
        Perfect. Sounds just like him.

The correct term I believe is neo-hipsters (or as one Brooklyn blogger calls them: fauxhemians). It seems a lot of their schtick is more about the neo hipster fashion than it is about any philosophy.

In NYC, there has always been a contingency of post-college well-to-do 20-somethings from Long Island or Conn. who move into "the city" with the help of parents paying rent on their apartments and their Hamptons summer shares. After about five years they marry someone their parents approve of and move back to where ever they came from.

Then the cycle begins again.

Yeah, who do these people think they are, anyway?

Makes me nostalgic for the NYC of my youth. You know, the one with the crack epidemic and 3000 unsolved murders a year.

Comment

The correct term I believe is neo-hipsters (or as one Brooklyn blogger calls them: fauxhemians). It seems a lot of their schtick is more about the neo hipster fashion than it is about any philosophy.

In NYC, there has always been a contingency of post-college well-to-do 20-somethings from Long Island or Conn. who move into "the city" with the help of parents paying rent on their apartments and their Hamptons summer shares. After about five years they marry someone their parents approve of and move back to where ever they came from.

Extremely astute description of their MO. One only wishes their NYC experience included lodging in the Vlladek Houses.

Comment

There's an article in the Arts & Leisure section of the Sunday NY Times, dealing with the subject.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/ar...pagewanted=all
            Last edited by Madbandit; 04-30-2012, 09:48 AM.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Don't forget about the rich foreigners....
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

This looks like a low rent SATC, with less accomplished, more whiny characters. Too bad HBO didn't pass and let it go to Lifetime. IMO It breaks up the momentum of what otherwise is a real strong viewing night for HBO.

Comment

liked this piece "complete guide to hipster racism"
                  http://tinyurl.com/cy2msmf

Comment

Originally posted by odocoileus View Post
                    What Girls needs is a very special episode guest starring Justin Wayne.
                    That's my only reaction to that site.
                    what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

• Re: Girls

I watched the first episode of Girls and I must say that I enjoyed it. Then I watched Tiny Furniture and I enjoyed that far less. I'd be interested to know how much influence Apatow had on the material because the guy seems to have a knack of making unlikable characters somehow redeemable.

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
                        liked this piece "complete guide to hip, ster racism"
                        Interesting explanation of their point of view, but as the column concludes there really isn't any defense for it. It isn't honest ethnic humor, so in my mind an ass kicking delivered by an offended party is a perfectly appropriate response.

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
                          liked this piece "complete guide to hipster racism"

This piece makes me want to vomit.

As soon as you start qualifying humor, or telling me what I can or can't make fun of, I will start writing stories where New York is a city of 8 million white people.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                            This piece makes me want to vomit.

As soon as you start qualifying humor, or telling me what I can or can't make fun of, I will start writing stories where New York is a city of 8 million white people.
                            I love how you say that like it hasn't been done before.
                            what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
                              I love how you say that like it hasn't been done before.
                              some people can't remember the last time they vomited.

Comment

i just thought it was a well written essay. not an advice column. started reading her other pieces. they're great.

Comment

Working...
                                X