Do Action Scripts like Gravity Have to be 90-120 pages to be a Feature Script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Action Scripts like Gravity Have to be 90-120 pages to be a Feature Script?

I know the common metric is 1 minute of page equals 1 minute of film, and a feature screenplay is 90-120 pages.

However, what about survival/action type scripts? Say in a film like Gravity, which has huge portions of the script with little or no dialog? Does the same 1 minute per page to equal a feature still apply, or no?

Advice?
    Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Re: Do Action Scripts like Gravity Have to be 90-120 pages to be a Feature Script?

Depends on how choreographed the action is. The more choreographed on page, the longer it will be. The less choreographed, the shorter.

Lots of choreographed action + lots of monologue type dialogue = a long screenplay.
    You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

Re: Do Action Scripts like Gravity Have to be 90-120 pages to be a Feature Script?

Originally posted by NYNEX View Post
      However, what about survival/action type scripts? Say in a film like Gravity, which has huge portions of the script with little or no dialog? Does the same 1 minute per page to equal a feature still apply, or no?

Advice?
      Gravity is 70 pages. But is also written by the director, which had to help, as well. You can find it here.

https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/m...ed9#.n7ra0zxvr

Comment

Originally posted by NYNEX View Post
        I know the common metric is 1 minute of page equals 1 minute of film, and a feature screenplay is 90-120 pages.

Advice?
        It depends on how fast you read. (You misstated the "common metric".)
        "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
        - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

A screenplay is not just the dialogue - the actions are the other half.

If you are not directing (and finding the $ yourself) you need something in the 90-110 page range.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice. That helps a lot.
            Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Don't go over 120 pages.

Comment

I'm having that same issue with one of mine.

Lots of running. Very little talking.

I think I've double spaced my way to 60 pages. I really hate to use smoke and mirrors just to give it a credible appearance, because I'm afraid too much mucking about will actually make it read worse.

Maybe if I imply dialogue... Hmm.

Frank runs along the ravine. He slips in the mud, but rights himself.

FRANK might have said
                That's a long way down. I better be
                more careful.

Ok. That's probably not the answer either.

Comment

For a spec script I'd recommend trying to get it to 110 pages or under.

Comment

Working...
                  X