Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 AM   #611
TheConnorNoden

Default Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

Cyfress, I seem to recall telling you to be kind to pro script readers and learn from them so that you could turn your own analysis into paid work. There was absolutely no need to call anybody out when a PM would have sufficed.

All this does is harm you because it makes you look unprofessional. Accept that Andrew knows more about this and has more genuine experience. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar and you're just pouring vinegar everywhere.
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #612
Cyfress

When was I unkind? Andrew, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers at all. How am I hurting your business? There's kids here that hate me and may use you just because I questioned you. Hold strong to the faith of your abilities. Don't ever let some anonymous big mouth change the way you feel.

Connor, really I am just helping people. The development service makes up a fraction of a percentage of my income and I'm not looking for it to increase. Reading amateur material non stop and trying to figure out what the writer's intention are then help them plan a much better approach to the script is pretty intensive work that can take a month. Most writers just drop off after a few weeks when I have rejected their attempts pages over and over. Asking them to dig deeper. Talking to them about story using movie examples. When people leave, I try to make sure they are better writers than before they met me. If all the lurkers and posters here feel I am out of line and no one ever decides to bring material to me again, I'd be fine with that.
Cyfress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #613
Dunelm
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfress View Post
If all the lurkers and posters here feel I am out of line and no one ever decides to bring material to me again, I'd be fine with that.
That's good because it will happen if you keep going after Screenplay Mechanic.

The fact is, the people who have brought material to him, and actually take the time to listen to what he has to say and apply his insights, are better writers for it. Every single project I've asked him to read (9 if I counted right) has been drastically improved after utilizing his feedback.

From your description though, it sounds like you need to reevaluate how you're running development service. It shouldn't take a month of endless notes to turn a project around.
Dunelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #614
Cyfress

That's because you know nothing about development. You think working on a script for a month is 'a lot of work'. I'll bet my left nut you have a script right now that is in horrible shape and you don't even know it. Plus, sometimes the writer steps away for a few days to digest what we are discussing.

Look, All the Evil Robot fans out there, you don't have to come out here and tell me that I am evil. I get it. If Andrew's services have made you a better writer then you should use them again. Plain and simple.

I use Heinz Ketchup, yesterday I ran into somebody who inly uses Hunt's. He criticized Heinz, but it didn't change my mind about it. Don't waiver on or feel like you have to defend your convictions because someone questions them.

I personally feel like your run of the mill amateur writer with the run of the mill amateur script has exactly 0% chance to take three or four paragraphs of advice/criticism and make their script market worthy.

Here's what we'll do. I nominate Dunelm to be the writer for the experiment. We'll send something of his to Andrew, I WILL PAY THE MONEY, and if Andrew has different packages we'll get an expensive one. He's going to take the material and do his standard write up, which I have seen, which will include things like a logline, a grade, story description then a positives and negatives section. Dunelm you'll take the write up and use it for a rewrite. Since a month is a long time, it shouldn't be too long before you have the new draft. We'll see if anything happens with it as far as contests or querying. What do you say?
Old 09-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #615
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

As reminder to all, please don't get into these back & forth debates. Everyone here is a member of the community and as such we ask that folks be as civil and decent to each other as possible since we're all in the same boat, so to speak.

We've allowed for threads from (a few) long time members so they could let the community know about services they offer. We don't expect everyone to see eye-to-eye exactly or agree on every service, contest, movie, book, TV show and so forth. That's fine. That's life.

If people feel the great need to debate all this privately, then we'll have to leave that "freedom" up to you. You're adults. But please don't let/have things devolve publicly in any thread here to then become some unnecessary debate, competition, argument, etc. If someone has an honest, fair review or has some questions or needs clarification about one or more of the services, contests and so on again, then great. Otherwise just be cool, do what you do best, keep your nose to the grindstone and karma should take care of the rest.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 09-09-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #616
Dunelm
User

Absolutely, Will.

Cyfress, I'll send you a DM if you'd like to continue to discuss.
Dunelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #617
Cyfress

who really cares anyway?
Old 09-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #618
EvilRbt

Wow. I didn't even know this conversation was still going. I wasn't receiving notifications anymore. Cyfress, just kindly stop posting here please.

For everyone else, I'm already taking reservations for October. Drop me a line at screenplaymechanic@gmail.com

Cheers.

NOTES / COVERAGE
10,000+ Screenplays
DD Thread Facebook
screenplaymechanic@gmail.com
EvilRbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #619
EvilRbt

FYI, a few folks have asked if I'll be doing a Top 10 Lugnut List again this year. The answer is yes.

If you want to qualify for consideration, I have a handful of spots left at the end of 2017. I'll be picking my favorites and publishing the list in January.

Email for a reservation: screenplaymechanic@gmail.com

NOTES / COVERAGE
10,000+ Screenplays
DD Thread Facebook
screenplaymechanic@gmail.com
EvilRbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #620
ClintW3
Regular

How long will you be accepting gifts and bribes?
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote