Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2017, 01:16 AM   #11
Centos

Default Re: Tips For Writing A Screenplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmarq View Post
Sorry. I felt compelled to point out the most common mistake I see every day in screenplays and social media posts. Feel free to ignore.
Quote:
What was I writing? I haven't got a clue. I was "emoting" -- letting my words outstrip the arbitrary shackles of the mundane dictates of grammar. It's not what I write that matters, but how I *feel* about what I write that counts. Does this scene result in feelings of positive self-worth? Does it,ultimately, lend itself to true self-actualization? These are the questions the enlightened writer asks -- not the pedestrian inquiries of the mindless automaton hack, such as... Does my writing conform to the norms of formatting? Does it communicate, tell a story? Will someone want to read it? Can I *sell* this story? "Grammatic" belly crawlers, such as these, will never reach the next stage in development. True, they may attain financial success and a false sense of self-worth in the adulation of a fawning public -- but, sadly, they remain, and always will remain, mere hacks -- those who put "communication" over self-expression. Pity them.
I warned you.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
billmarq
Administrator

I believe that I have unintentionally set this thread onto a tack not intended by the O.P. I apologize for that. I was merely making a quip suggesting that one might want to avoid making gross errors in grammar when presenting his or her work for others to read and evaluate. Perhaps the humor was much too subtle to be recognized.

You see, when I read something filled with grammatical mistakes, not simply typographical errors, I am led to believe that the author is incompetent. Unless the writing is otherwise compelling, I will probably not want to continue reading.

I shall not revive previous rants of mine about sentences such as "When an umpire's vision becomes impaired they should retire."
Old 12-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmarq View Post
I believe that I have unintentionally set this thread onto a tack not intended by the O.P. I apologize for that. I was merely making a quip suggesting that one might want to avoid making gross errors in grammar when presenting his or her work for others to read and evaluate. Perhaps the humor was much too subtle to be recognized. ...
I'm just trying to go along with the humorous intent of the original post and doing that with (hopefully) ironic humor. I agree with you about the importance of grammar.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #14
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
(According to "The Onion" -- 4-11-17)

then crack open a pack of brass fasteners.
I find it better to hole punch each page individually, centering the holes by eye as the page is cranked from the dot matrix printer. I believe the staggered "ragged"look of the pages once held by the brads and the increasingly faded text as the ribbon wears will appeal to producers looking for a "Hemingway of film".

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #15
billmarq
Administrator

Or do like Kurt Vonnegut and scribble it on napkins or scraps of paper. Then they will know you are an edgy writer worth the time to read. Worked for him. (In his case a novel, not a screenplay, but what the heck?)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #16
Cyfress

Somebody should start a real thread where people list steps in their process of writing fiction.
Cyfress is offline   Reply With Quote