Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Dog days of Summer" contest

was dpaterso participating in those same contests, that he established the rules for?

did he tend to do well in those contests?

have you ever played poker with dpaterso??? good god! he's wearing my watch and shoes right now!

i will gladly help with establishing and enforcing rules in this contest if needed. i am pretty honest. nobody can be honest all the time. what a life sentence that would be. but i'd be fair, or would try real hard to be when the notion should strike.
    Last edited by AnconRanger; 09-08-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnconRanger View Post
      was dpaterso participating in those same contests, that he established the rules for?
      Yes. In all the contests I've entered here, you couldn't vote for you own script.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

The entries are up so...

Let the bribery begin. I'll accept cars, jewelry, real estate. Oh wait...

I just realized it won't make sense to offer a bribe that is greater than 29.95.

I make a lousy crime boss. I really gotta think this stuff through better.
        Free Script Reads and Notes

​
        ​

Comment

Well done Mark!

Readers, remember you can also select Thread Tools > View Printable Version if you don't like the code boxes, which are essential for preserving script formatting.

Comment

I seemed to have missed a submission.

Please check out "Dog Day of Summer"

My apologies to the author.

Thanks.

​
            ​

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
              Well done Mark!
              I had a ton of problems with pdfs. I think last time I requested text or formatted ASCII texts for submissions.

​
              ​

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                I seemed to have missed a submission.

Please check out "Dog Day of Summer"

My apologies to the author.

Thanks.
                If memory serves, a thread was posted for previous contests in the "Announcement..." section to encourage folks to read and vote. .

Comment

I had a ton of problems with pdfs. I think last time I requested text or formatted ASCII texts for submissions.
                  Yeah PDFs aren't exactly fun to work with, but they're good for preserving formatting, and super easy for most people to generate with just a click or two. Memories are dim but I can just about recall achieving brain death while trying to figure out and explain the numerous ways to export text to folks who were using different screenwriting programs. And then having to tweak all the differently formatted text files once they arrived.

This is the lonely, weary journey of the contest admin, whose struggles must go undocumented and unappreciated.

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                  If memory serves, a thread was posted for previous contests in the "Announcement..." section to encourage folks to read and vote. .
                  It probably helps that Writing Exercises got moved up so it's more visible.

Comment

Votes cast -- comments written (and saved in Simplenote for future cut and paste). Some good entries, I enjoyed reading these.
                    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Submitted my votes. Comments to follow (including my favorite line from each script).

Congrats to all the writers and Mark S. for running the contest this time around.

While we wait for the results, a little inspiration for the next contest:

A Single Life (2:19)

Comment

Mark -- I smell an eight-way tie for first coming.

Do you think Will will give you a discount on memberships?

Comment

If it would be easier, I could certainly submit in formatted ASCII file next time. Maybe whoever runs a particular contest can request BOTH a PDF and an ASCII submission. I know some folks have software that makes it difficult to make a formatted ASCII file, but it would save work on some us of who have the right software to do this.

At any rate, I thank you for all your effort, Mark.
                          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

My votes are in. (If I worked that "PM" thingie right.)

Comment

i voted. tough competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                                If it would be easier, I could certainly submit in formatted ASCII file next time. Maybe whoever runs a particular contest can request BOTH a PDF and an ASCII submission. I know some folks have software that makes it difficult to make a formatted ASCII file, but it would save work on some us of who have the right software to do this.

At any rate, I thank you for all your effort, Mark.

WritersDuet.com allows you to "Import" PDF (and other formats). I tested importing PDF a couple of times and it worked flawlessly.

"Export" options are:
                                PDF
                                PDF w/notes
                                PDF (revised pages)
                                Final Draft
                                Celtx
                                Fountain
                                Rich Text Format
                                Text
                                HTML (flexible)
                                Comma - seperated
                                WriterDuet

So, in the future, that might work as a converter.

Comment

Working...
                                X