Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #21
StoryWriter

Default Re: Using BOLD in spec scripts

I've read a lot of spec scripts. Probably around 20% used bold sluglines.

I guess I'm dense because it doesn't really effect me one or the other.

Now too many slammers (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), that's a different story.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #22
JoeNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
-- It's ironic. StoryWriter displays her dislike for "slammers" by slamming me.

StoryWriter, all I did is what other members are doing and that is participating in a screenwriting community, giving opinions on different subjects.

finalact4 posted some opinions that I didn't agree with. It seems like you want to bully me into silence. Unfortunately, your tactic of bulling may be effective on a new writer, but it won't work with me.

I felt finalact4's opinions on some issues, just like finalact4 felt about my opinions, needed to be addressed. StoryWriter, you call what I did "slamming." I call it a discussion on a screenwriting topic.

P.S:

Maybe you're upset about the part where I referred to one of finalact4's opinions as being a "rookie mistake" for making a blanket statement. This was tough love.

finalact4 said during William Goldman's day "everyone" used CUT TO: for every slugline transition. Before making blanket statements, I would like to get members to research the matter first. Otherwise, when they challenge what I say without researching the matter to prove I'm wrong, I have to take the time, which I don't have much of, and respond.

Last edited by JoeNYC : 01-17-2017 at 06:55 AM.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #23
TigerFang

As more than one of you has used it, it's "affect," y'all, not "effect," and "judgment," too.

It seems to me that bold Scene Headings could be effective with a certain style of writing (writer's choice, there), or that bold Scene Headings could be useful for a particular story subject (such as a police drama, maybe), or that bold Scene Headings could even be the trademark for the writer who chooses to use it for a particular genre, such as "Horror," for example (since bold Scene Headings seem to horrify some folks).

Personally, I don't use them or even like to wade through them when reading a screenplay (to me, it's akin to the "shouting" implied by ALL CAPS in text messages and forum threads), but for any entity or anyone who wants to buy the screenplay that uses them and wants it changed, it's an easy "fix." The times, they are a-changin'. At day's end, I wouldn't let a script with bold Scene Headings affect my judgment of the main ingredient, which is Story.

Last edited by TigerFang : 01-17-2017 at 08:32 AM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #24
Zodraz
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
-- It's ironic. StoryWriter displays her dislike for "slammers" by slamming me.
Dude, try not to be so sensitive: "slammers" doesn't refer to "slamming" other posters, it's simply an alternative term for exclamation marks (hence the "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"): http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...-point/274687/

As for bolding sluglines, I mainly do it to make my scripts (which tend to be longer than average) a little shorter: I think non-bolded sluglines need two carriage return spacings to properly stand out, whereas bolded sluglines only need one.
Zodraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #25
JoeNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodraz View Post
Dude, try not to be so sensitive: "slammers" doesn't refer to "slamming" other posters, it's simply an alternative term for exclamation marks (hence the "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!")
-- Oh, StoryWriter was doing a funny and not accusing me of slamming finalact4. Ooops, sorry, StoryWriter.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #26
wcmartell

Default Re: Using BOLD in spec scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenklmn View Post
It's been a long time since I used a typewriter, but I don't remember bold type on a typewriter. Maybe some of the fancier ones - like an IBM Selectric - had it, but not the cheaper ones I used.
Type over. That's how we used to do it... and how they used to do it in the 30s and 40s and 50s.

- Bill
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #27
Mark Somers

Cuneiform on clay tablets is my preference. And yes you can bold it, but you have to do it before the clay dries.

Mailing out a script on clay tablets is where one demonstrates ones level of commitment. A tablet is about one pound so a regular script is 120 pounds a comedy 90 pounds. Shipping can get pricey.

"Hey! We don't lick our balls in this house!" -- Albert Einstein

Mark Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #28
Pandoraisme
User

I bold the sluglines. It helps give me a visual cue on flow. It also serves as a reminder from a budget standpoint and keeps me from bouncing around too much.
Pandoraisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #29
nguyensquared
User

For me, this is also a readability issue. Without something to distinguish the slugline from the scene text, everything starts to look the same. I donít generally do any formatting tricks in a script that canít be done with a typewriter so I prefer underlining slug lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
I don't tend to do anything gimmicky in my scripts. No CAPS dotted throughout etc. That being said I just tried the bold scene headers thing and think I can get on board with it.
nguyensquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #30
nguyensquared
User

Default Re: Using BOLD in spec scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post
Type over. That's how we used to do it... and how they used to do it in the 30s and 40s and 50s.

- Bill
Bolding with a typewriter is kind of hit or miss for me. My Royal 41 was pretty good with it but the Olivetti Lettera 32 wouldn't bold until about 3 passes.

Underlining a slug is also an option. It's mainly a readability thing for me - otherwise the slug lines and scene text become indistinguishable.
nguyensquared is offline   Reply With Quote