Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #21
JoeNYC

Default Re: Claimed Hollywood writer's script formatting notes (are they wrong??)

Why must you always tempt me, Jeff Lowell?

I'm still gonna refrain from getting into a "we see" debate, but I suspect Jeff took offense to this comment by Bananos: "most of us aren't William Goldman."

William Goldman's style was to use a CUT TO between every Master Scene Heading. Bananos is implying that if a non-pro followed this style, they wouldn't be able to get away with it where he's concurring with the screenplay consultant that Tim posted about: "A non-pro's script will be thrown in the trash."

Jeff's point of the link is to demonstrate that Bananos belief is "crap."

I've never seen another pro or non-pro use Goldman's style with his use of the "CUT TO," but if a non-pro does use a CUT TO between every scene heading, his script won't be thrown in the trash because of it.

It will be considered a waste of space, unnecessary, annoying, tedious (giving more words for the reader to read), etc., but no, your script will not be thrown in the trash because of it. If a professional is reading your script, it'll be story that will dictate whether or not your script gets thrown in the trash.

And don't get me wrong about the use of "CUT TO." There are instances where this transition has a purposeful use. Just not between "EVERY" Master Scene Heading.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #22
catcon

Default Re: Claimed Hollywood writer's script formatting notes (are they wrong??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
...William Goldman's style was to use a CUT TO between every Master Scene Heading...
The 170-page Social Network script I saw also had this. With all his short scenes, it'd only be around 150 pages otherwise. Why'd Sorkin do it? I wasn't concerned or swayed at all, and just assumed it was some default setting in the script formatting software he used, and that he'd forgotten to turn it off.

I may be wrong, but I just don't care.

I've been writing for 10.5 years, and realized about two years in that everybody has their own style. It doesn't matter. What matters is (1) writing a great original story (it can then be reformatted to whatever style you prefer) and (2) getting that script out there, somehow, so that it's discovered.

(And, no, just writing such a script doesn't mean "they will come" and that it will be found)
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #23
Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAucoin View Post
That's what I thought. It's too bad he's pulled the wool over many an eye on the freelancing site he's on. He has a five star review and thousands of orders. It's a shame.
Earth calling Tim - Earth calling Tim - come in Tim - requesting hyperlink to subject's profile - repeat - subject link required - do you copy?
Old 09-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #24
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
Why must you always tempt me, Jeff Lowell?

I'm still gonna refrain from getting into a "we see" debate, but I suspect Jeff took offense to this comment by Bananos: "most of us aren't William Goldman."
I can't speak for Jeff Lowell, but here's part of what the "analyzer" wrote that immediately told me that he was full of crap (and what's written below has nothing to do with Goldman) ... (I left in his mistakes.)

Quote:
For example, the most common OBVIOUS AMATEUR "Format Errors" in a SPECULATION script ( one intended for sale, as opposed to one which the writer will also direct and produce himself ) are easily caught with e CTRL+F Search of these words. looking for CAMERA or GENERAL DIRECTION commands which are FATAL FLAWS and cause an AUTOMATIC PASS for a Major Studio because directors HATE to be told how to shoot a movie and they can't change your script...so, GOOD directors PASS on the project.
Besides the fact that the above is pure crap (camera directions do not get instant rejections), it shows total ignorance of the business the analyzer claims to speak authoritatively for. And this guy, who can't even proofread his own boilerplate, is offering to fix his client's format errors for an extra $50.

Other obvious tells that he doesn't know what he's talking about (and this is obvious to a wannabe, like me). First his definition of a "speculation" (spec) script as one "intended for sale as opposed to one the writer will direct ..." Really? No. The difference is that a spec script is written "on spec," just like some buildings are built "on spec." In other words the writer (or builder) is "speculating" that he can find a market for his product. He's taking a chance. This analyzer seems totally unaware that most studio scripts are written FOR PAY ("to sell") but on assignment.

But the most glaring error is the total BS about how a director will pass because your camera directions will dictate how the script MUST be directed ... because (in this analyzer's imaginary BS world), "...the director can't change the script." What the ... is he talking about? First, it's not the director who'll be reading the spec script for the major studio. But more importantly ... is he so clueless that he doesn't know that there are such things as "shooting scripts" and that they almost NEVER bear a close resemblance to the original spec script?

I would say no. The analyzer is full of crap.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:40 AM   #25
JoeNYC

It's obvious that this screenplay consultant, whoever he is, promulgated this misinformation in order to scare amateurs into paying him extra bucks to check their formatting.

There are hundreds of screenplay consultants. There have been past threads on consultants. There are many excellent consultants that not only help an amateur make their screenplay stronger, but also help them in gaining knowledge in the craft of screenwriting.

There are also bad screenplay consultants who are just interested in taking an amateur's money.

Just like with any service one should take care to research before committing any money to such person offering said service.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:13 AM   #26
dpaterso

OOF FAULT - FATAL ERROR certainly made me sit up and pay attention.

Maybe he's just trying his best. Not all heroes wear capes.

Fun Halloween Ghost Town contest results posted!

Witches vs. Wizards - A Fantasy Anthology - link to my website
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #27
odocoileus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaterso View Post
OOF FAULT - FATAL ERROR certainly made me sit up and pay attention.

Maybe he's just trying his best. Not all heroes wear capes.
Trying his best to take our money!

Old 09-09-2018, 03:41 AM   #28
Bananos
Regular

Writers are touchy. My only point was that it is only advice, and you don't have to agree with it. But what is ridiculous is shutting yourself off from any criticism, as so many does in this thread, by calling the critiquer something negative (he does not know how things are done in hollywood, he's a charlatan , etc). That was my point.
Bananos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #29
JoeNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananos View Post
Writers are touchy. My only point was that it is only advice, and you don't have to agree with it. But what is ridiculous is shutting yourself off from any criticism, as so many does in this thread, by calling the critiquer something negative (he does not know how things are done in hollywood, he's a charlatan , etc). That was my point.
Bananos, it seems by your continued defense of this consultant -- and your point -- that you are the "touchy" one.

The members understood your point that it was only "advice." The members understood that they have the right to not agree with this advice, but at the same time aren't members allowed to give their own opinion/advice without being referred to as "ridiculous" and "negative"?

Yes, members accused this consultant as not knowing how things are done in Hollywood, but some of these members are actual professionals participating in everyday Hollywood business, so can't you accept their belief as being fact and not as one being ridiculous and negative?

Yes, pros and non-pros are accusing this consulting as being a "charlatan."

Normally, this opinion would be perceived as unduly rude and harsh, but under the circumstances, where this consultant advertised that if an amateur used the "we" word, i.e., "we get...," "we see...," "we move...," etc., the Major Studios will give his script an automatic pass, throwing it in the garbage, but for just an extra $50 this consultant will help this writer avoid that horrible outcome.

Bananos, doesn't this sound like the "come on" of a charlatan to a naÔve amatuer to you?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #30
Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananos View Post
That's at least two points and one non sequitur.