No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Draft 11 - Beat Board PDF

Hello,

any of DDers have the new version of FD? I've been looking around the trial version and I'm interested in how it exports the PDF rendition of the "Beat Board", as this option you only get in a paid version. I wonder how that works because the Board can get really big. Is it like divided into many horizontal pages in the PDF? But it can also go vertical for many pages. Could anyone say?

Re: Final Draft 11 - Beat Board PDF

Goldmund, you have asked an important question, but nobody has answered.

If anyone out there could check this, we would appreciate your help.

I cannot check. I paid for upgrades through FD-10, over a period of twenty years, but I am never going to pay for a FD upgrade again.

I use Fade In for many reasons, and as long as it exists, I will use it. If it ever disappears (yes, I remember the Sophocles debacle - and where are you, Tim Sheehan?), I will just use a word processor until I absolutely have to have something to produce the .fdx format.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I did a quick mock up for you, so that you can see what it looks like. Ignore the story, of course. It was written on the fly.

Essentially the WIDER you make the cards across the more zoomed out the PDF file is displayed when first first opened -- I did few tests. I would suggest that no one really makes a row any wider than six cards across otherwise you'll mostly like force the person to zoom in.

Other than that, it seems to handle things decently.

http://www.donedealpro.com/beatboard...t%20Board).pdf
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Okay, thanks, Will.

I looked at the PDF. I think that people will probably need to play around with the feature a bit to decide what works best for them when the PDF is printed out.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Comic and Will -- thank you!
          I'm considering Final Draft because non-latin characters are finally displayed & printed well. I can't believe it took them this long.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
            Comic and Will -- thank you!
            I'm considering Final Draft because non-latin characters are finally displayed & printed well. I can't believe it took them this long.
            You should be able to do this with Fade In also if you have the proper font to use.

Have you tried? Fade In is more reliable, is less expensive, and has all kinds of bells and whistles. The "Scene Versions" and "Alternate paragraphs" features are very powerful. I have PDF articles about these on my website.

Also, I use my one license for Fade In to put it onto all my computers. And I have never had to pay for an update/upgrade at any time.

Available for Windows, Mac, Linux.

Comment

Hmmm, that's correct! Fade In seems to render non-latin fonts really well. I see a lot of writers use it, according to its website! With it being able to serve multiple formats that's really a no-brainer. Thank you again, ComicBent!

Comment

You bet! Glad I could help.

I will also add the following, and to be fair to Final Draft, I do not know if version 11 still has the problem that I am going to mention in the following paragraph.

Through the last several years I have received desperate messages from Final Draft users who turned on their computers one day and found that their Final Draft project would not load. They received some kind of error message. To make things worse, they have sometimes found that the backup files of the project had been corrupted also. When this happens, the file is simply lost forever. I have advised Final Draft users to make daily backups in PDF or plain text format and to save these in a folder somewhere, so that a fairly complete version of the project would always be available. I have known some people who literally lost everything. Fortunately, most people have had an older version floating around and did not have to start over from page one.

I have discussed this problem several times on this board, and I will not go through it all again. Just be aware that I have personally received appeals for help, and I could do nothing.

On the other hand, I have never known anyone who lost a project because of a Fade In bug.

Final Draft has a beautiful interface, and it is the dominant program in use in Hollywood, but I also know that Fade In is a great program that has never let me down.

Comment

can it open final draft docs and save as its own format?

yes it can. Nice thanks
                  Last edited by Southern_land; 11-16-2018, 04:16 PM.
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X