Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian schools

What is the Australian equivalent to American high school? Could a person graduate from high school at the age of 14? That would be the age of completion for 7th or 8th grade (Junior High or Middle School) here in the States, although some districts extend Middle School to the 9th grade.
    We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Re: Australian schools

There are two schools:

Primary school - Kindergarten and years 1 to 6 (start at 5 years old)

High School - years 7 to 12

Students can leave school after year 10 (16 yo) when they complete their School Certificate, but most stay on until year 12, when the more important Higher School Certificate (HSC) exams take place. This exam provides a 'score' University entry. (My daughter is just finishing year 10, but we've brainwashed her since she was very little and she is going to University)

Some kids are 15 when they finish year 10 and I think this is the earliest you can leave school.

The terms Junior High and Middle School are not used here, only Primary and High School.
    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

What hscope said, with one caveat. Private Schools follow the Junior School, Senior School scenario, and bearing in mind that more 30% of Australian kids go to a Private/Independent school, it might be useful to know. (Private Junior school is prep - Year 8, senior: Year 9-12.)

Also, you need to know which state they're in. In Victoria, the first year of Primary is called "Prep", and Year 12 is called VCE. (It hasn't been called HSC since I was there - back in 1986.) In South Australia, the first year is "Reception", etc.

If you want specifics or more info, just ask. (PM or whatever.)

Nic
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

Originally posted by billmarq View Post
        What is the Australian equivalent to American high school? Could a person graduate from high school at the age of 14? That would be the age of completion for 7th or 8th grade (Junior High or Middle School) here in the States, although some districts extend Middle School to the 9th grade.
        To answer the graduating age - it's not graduating unless you finish Year 12, and no one goes ahead here. It's just not done. Even if you're a genius, you'll go through the 13 years like everyone else and finish at 17 (earliest, and happening less) or 18 years old. (If you're really advanced you might do extra stuff along the way, etc, but the feeling is the experience of school - the social side of it, and working alongside your peers - is as vital to the process of education as the academics are.

I teach Second year university (undergrads) and the youngest kid I have is 19.
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
          What hscope said, with one caveat. Private Schools follow the Junior School, Senior School scenario, and bearing in mind that more 30% of Australian kids go to a Private/Independent school, it might be useful to know. (Private Junior school is prep - Year 8, senior: Year 9-12.)

Also, you need to know which state they're in. In Victoria, the first year of Primary is called "Prep", and Year 12 is called VCE. (It hasn't been called HSC since I was there - back in 1986.) In South Australia, the first year is "Reception", etc.

If you want specifics or more info, just ask. (PM or whatever.)

Nic
          Whoops! I assumed Australia had a unified education system

I'd better go back to school.
          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Thanks, guys. This is what I needed to know.
            We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Keep in mind as well in QLD Primary School is from years 1 to 7. Preschool (kindy) is before grade 1.

Our high school years are from year 8 to year 12. You can leave after year 10 as said earlier or can continue to year 12 to sit for your QCS (Queensland Core Skills test) which is the same as the HSC however the QCS isn't compulsory.
              One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

I think this will help clarify things. "Public schools are so random!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdtsJlZG1Ss

Comment

Originally posted by Write-Away View Post
                  I think this will help clarify things. "Public schools are so random!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdtsJlZG1Ss
                  Summer Heights High was huge here. Chris Lilley is a genius - wrote, directed, starred, produced... The man can barely string two words together out of character (he's painfully shy), but he has so much going on inside his head. All of his characters are magnificent - J'amie, is a classic but not even my favourite.

BTW: that was filmed in a local school not far from where I live, and the principal was a real principal in a public school, also not far from me (but in the other direction). She's since retired but she was quite the cult star in her school for the year SHH was on air.
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

I so LOVE this show! I rarely laugh out loud watching TV but I do when I watch "Summer Heights High". I think "Jonah" is my favorite, but they're all pretty hilarious in their own way. Interesting about Chris Lilley being so shy. You'd never know it!

Comment

Is it on TV somewhere? It aired here a year or so ago.

Jonah is my favourite too. He's just so painfully believable. Wait until the final episode.

I just finished watching Lilley's first series, We Can Be Heroes. That's the origin of J'amie, actually. Lilley's ability to tread the line between pathos and humour is breathtaking. I don't know how he does it, but that's why Jonah resonates with so many, I think. And, along those lines, the last episode of We Can Be Heroes is also stellar because of this skill. It's a rarething indeed.

You should check that out, too, although I still believe that SHH is a far superior series.
                      sigpic

Website
                      Tweets
                      Book

Comment

Don't forget, most children now start in PRE-PREP, then PREP before starting Grade 1.

I don't know about other states but in QLD, that is the norm. There are still kindergartens but these are becoming either prep schools or daycare.

Good luck with your project.

Comment

Nic, a friend had Summer Heights on DVD. Not sure where he discovered the show. We both love it and now we'll definitely have to check out "We Can be Heroes". Thanks!

Comment

He's got a new show in post-production now. The ABC has basically let him do whatever he wants this time - even more freedom than the previous series which broke a lot of conventions and rules. Personally, I think he just gets better and better, so am very keen to see what he does next.

Will let you know what it's called and when it comes out.
                            sigpic

Website
                            Tweets
                            Book

Comment

Working...
                            X