Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fear of Pitching

I was an actor who had to be dragged off a stage - could yack away in front of 1 person or a 1,000 - have never had a single problem with talking to large groups............so why is the anticipation of pitching one of my projects or ideas so freakin' nerve racking that I can't eat for 2 days beforehand?? And that's just pitchin' over the dang phone!

I think I need therapy.
    My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Re: the Fear of Pitching

Originally posted by ChipC View Post
    I was an actor who had to be dragged off a stage - could yack away in front of 1 person or a 1,000 - have never had a single problem with talking to large groups............so why is the anticipation of pitching one of my projects or ideas so freakin' nerve racking that I can't eat for 2 days beforehand?? And that's just pitchin' over the dang phone!

I think I need therapy.
    Because being an actor allows you to hide behind a character. Pitching forces you to be yourself.
    Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Chip, I'm with you all the way. Read my post: "First pitch, knees knocking" to see all the helpful replies.

Comment

Ya, I'm sure DDP has a wide variety of threads about "Pitching", but i remember there being one in particular over at AWWC that was especially awesome - addressing a wide variety of issues and making some great suggestions...

I think.

Comment

Originally posted by The White Album View Post
          Because being an actor allows you to hide behind a character. Pitching forces you to be yourself.
          Well that makes sense. What's odd though is I really don't have any fear
          of rejection. Maybe instead of fear it's really adrenalized energy.

Comment

Originally posted by smcguinn View Post
            Chip, I'm with you all the way. Read my post: "First pitch, knees knocking" to see all the helpful replies.
            Oh man! The thought of pitching a feature is tough enough...I can't
            imagine pitching a series! Well I hope it goes - or went - well!

Comment

Re: phone pitching, here's some instant therapy for you, Chip, and it's especially useful given your acting experience.

Most actors are familiar with the old gag, variously attributed to both George Burns and Groucho Marx (and several others):

"Acting is all about honesty . . . and if you can fake *that* you've got it made!-

There's an actual a germ of vital wisdom in that gag line.

I'm guessing that you already know the practicality of having a phone script that contains the points you definitely want to make. Notes that simply serve to prompt you, rather than being intended for a robotic-sounding recitation.

And as an actor, you already know how to take lines of dialogue written by someone else and believably make the meaning of the words a completely natural expression of the character's feelings and typical thought pattern.

You can take much of the fear out of your phone pitching if you objectify the process by playing with it a little, beforehand, by doing the following:

Write out a short screenplay scene that contains both dialogue and description that exactly conveys what you'd like to be understood by the audience about the character's (a budding, but savvy screenwriter) project-related feelings and facts.

Imagine that the person listening to your phone pitch can actually see and hear you (the character), as an audience would. This will ensure a completely smooth delivery of the actual pitch, and a sincere one ("honest- in the best sense). And importantly, it will ensure being optimally relaxed as the character (yourself) when you answer any questions posed by the listener. You've "owned- the role and character.

And go through the minimal trouble of recording yourself a few times as the character delivering his natural passion and necessary exposition for the audience of one -- the phone listener.

When you get the delivery down so it flows smoothly, unhesitatingly, and believable, and the recordings sound great to you, you'll be less nervous than you ever thought possible.

Hope this helps. It's worked for many actor/screenwriter friends of mine.

Ernie

Comment

Re: The Fear of Pitching

I had the opportunity to pitch at one of the tv animation networks. I had a development deal with a small production company, and one of the producers went along with me.

Now I generally am extremely shy until I feel comfortable, but wow..I must have been a deep shade of red in that meeting. I was so so nervous, and thankfully the producer did most of the talking lol. I got to pitch them another project a couple months later with the same people, so that helped. I think I was overwhelmed at just reaching that level more than anything.

So you're definitely not alone! And hope the pitch went well!

Comment

Originally posted by The White Album View Post
                  Uh-oh....
                  "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                  X