Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20/20 on Harvy Weinstein

If someone would have told me that middle aged producers hit on young starlets holding the hope of getting into that breakout film over their heads, I wouldn't bat an eye. Of course that goes on. This guy was a sick maniac though. Masterbating in front of women and walking out of the bathroom stark naked. 36 women came forward so far, but really how many has there been over the last twenty years? Has to be hundreds of women. There's got to be other big players right now quaking in their boots.

Re: 20/20 on Harvy Weinstein

I saw the 20/20 show too, and caught some of it earlier in the week on deadline. Wow. It truly sounded like he just hit on everyone under the age of 25. What's shocking, too, is that he even hit on Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie -- who have parents in the film industry. So there was no stop sign to him. No remorse.

He wants a "second chance." Bitch you had about 30 years worth of second chances to stop being a pig, and you chose not to.

Poor Rose McGowan. And good for her for continuing to drive this home, even though she had an NDA. I hope that board goes down in flames.

What makes me sad, though, and what I learned last night watching the 20/20 piece, is that his company had 350 Oscar nominations and 80 wins. That is a staggering amount of quality films. What a waste of good taste.

Comment

It's funny how when something like this happens, those around the accused are almost forced to come out and say something and if they don't they are chastised for it. Obviously those around him and his friends in the business like Affleck, Damon, Pitt, Tarantino, the list goes on and on. They all knew. Someone that acts that way for so long, takes a lot of pleasure in acting that way. If they take pleasure in it then they are around the water cooler elbowing colleagues and bragging about it.

McGowan claims to have told Affleck what Weinstein did to her and his response was, 'He's still doing that? I told him to stop.'

Comment

If you have even a passing interest in this story, read this by screenwriter (Beautiful Girls) Scott Rosenberg, about how everyone knew mostly all of it this entire time.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/scott-ro...ns-1202189525/

Comment

Of course everyone knew, it's been Hollywood culture for almost 100 years.

Comment

It's been Hollywood Culture for an older Producer to date young and up and coming actresses or 'sleep around' in those circles, and the myth has always led us to believe that the woman was perfectly ok with the arrangement cause she was getting something out of it too. What Weinstein did is a whole different story, but I do believe he bragged about it among his A-List guy friends and they told people and they told people.

I wanna see some A lister come forward and say they knew what he was doing and they should have said something. I'd have a lot of respect for them.

Lauren Holly came forward today with a story of being trapped in a hotel room with Harvey and him trying to grope her and kiss back in the mid 90s. Promising her a great future in the business.

There's ten times as many woman that cant even come forward because they took Harvey's promises in exchange for his advances.

Comment

Way to go Tarantino. He admitted he knew, and should have spoken up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
                Way to go Tarantino. He admitted he knew, and should have spoken up.
                The thing is that had all of this stayed under the rug he would have died with the knowledge of what went on. It is easy for me to criticise from the outside as I don't have a career that depends on keeping silent. But all it would have took was one man to speak out against it. At least he has admitted fault unlike a lot of others close to Weinstein so fair play.

The tragedy of all of this is that people believe this will lead to change. The predators will be careful for a while but I don't think think this will ever stop.

Comment

What would you do Connor? You just inked a three script deal with Miramax and you attend a company party where you see Weinstein put his hand up a woman's skirt in the hallway. She says no and runs off crying. You calling the police? I can't say that I would.

Comment

Tom Cruise/Cameron Crowe probably put it best "Show me the money."

Don't think we should kid ourselves that Harvey will be only one toppled by this. Look at the furore that developed around jimmy Saville and how many were bloodied in the aftermath.
                    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

What would you do Connor? You just inked a three script deal with Miramax and you attend a company party where you see Weinstein put his hand up a woman's skirt in the hallway. She says no and runs off crying. You calling the police? I can't say that I would.
                      Maybe success would change things but sitting by doesn't sit right with me. A few months ago I was sacked from my job and arrested for defending a foreign delivery driver from a violent thug. It took a huge toll on my life and I'm still recovering from it. And I wouldn't change a thing. The alternative would have been standing by and letting him get attacked and I can't live with that. Same difference here. I don't see the point in a career if you can look the other way on women getting abused. They may have their reasons but it's still cowardice in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                        Maybe success would change things but sitting by doesn't sit right with me. A few months ago I was sacked from my job and arrested for defending a foreign delivery driver from a violent thug. It took a huge toll on my life and I'm still recovering from it. And I wouldn't change a thing. The alternative would have been standing by and letting him get attacked and I can't live with that. Same difference here. I don't see the point in a career if you can look the other way on women getting abused. They may have their reasons but it's still cowardice in my eyes.
                        Hear Hear Connor!! Good on you mate. I appreciate you stating your mind unashamedly.

Being a female, I can understand why many women keep this stuff silent for years. The shame of it plus the fear no one will believe you or that many will "think you deserved it" is a real thing.

Fortunately I haven't had to deal with this type of thing in any job/career I have had. It is nice though when men stand up for what is the right thing no matter what it may do to them personally/professionally.

On another note, it is a shame that if weinstein co. shuts down that means many people who work there that had nothing to do with that mess (like secretaries, accountants, office peeps, even the janitors,etc.) will lose their jobs do to no fault of their own. No one talks about that collateral damage. All those people could lose their jobs because some deviant a-hole couldn't behave himself.

Comment

Back in junior high school (I don't want to post the name but it's the school John Turturro and his brother Nick went to), during lunch period, a kid brought a can of Mace. Another kid took the can and sprayed a good amount of it in the air. Three other kids were around the table and scattered away. I was a table away, and I saw the spraying. Some minutes later, some cafeteria workers were coughing. Teachers were called in. So was the principal. I told them what happened, and the first two kids were expelled. The kids in my class hated my guts more than usual, and the first kid called me a mother-****** before getting kicked out of school.

Doing the right thing isn't necessarily the "good thing", if it gets you in a **** load of trouble, but if people are in danger, the right thing has to be done. At the same time, in the midst of Weinstein scandal, it's troubling to see that people are being shamed of not dropping a dime on Harvey, and I'M NOT DEFENDING HIM OR HIS ACTIONS. Not everything, like this hellstorm, is cut and dry.
                          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Here goes another one, from LA Times, via deadline: writer/director James Toback.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/james-to...es-1202192669/

I hope it continues until everyone of these serial abusers are OUT.

ETA: And an agent at APA too, that reps young talent.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/apa-agen...ns-1202192266/
                            Last edited by figment; 10-22-2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyfress

Who's ready to step up to the plate? I wonder if anyone in Hollywood has the guts to make a movie about this.

We've seen plenty of movies about abusive Priests and whistle blowers in government and industry. But where is the artistic outrage when the finger points home?
                              Last edited by jonpiper; 10-23-2017, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X