Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #41
TigerFang

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

This kind of hysteria was prevalent when the year 2000 was about to roll around, but there was more time to prepare for that “event” that became a non-event. My UPS man at the time protested about all the ammunition people required him to deliver. That, and five-gallon jugs of water, cases of canned goods, and many other heavy items.

I’m not so sure the virus will go away, but I’m hopeful things will even out when the weather gets hot again across the nation. If that doesn’t do the trick, then perhaps we as a species deserve what we get. We have not been good stewards of the planet, after all, and this may be Mother Nature’s vengeance for it.

Last edited by TigerFang : 03-13-2020 at 05:58 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #42
kenklmn
User

This is a link to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. If you go to the daily updates link, the one for Mar 13 has the stats of who is most at risk (from South Korea. Haven't seen a detailed breakdown from the US.)

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
kenklmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:37 AM   #43
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoc View Post
This will probably be tough for a while. Many of us will be out of work soon. They might close down my site before long.

It's a good idea to have had a stash already, especially in earthquake country. Doesn't take much to beef it up. Seems like there are a lot of panic buyers who wait until the last minute to prepare.

I don't expect to use them but I'm glad to be a gun owner right about now. Politics aside I'd encourage those of you in crowded areas to protect yourself. Better to have it and not need it and all that, as they say.
Really don't think this is the pandemic that brings about a Mad Max hellscape, so I'll pass on buying a gun, thank you.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #44
DDoc
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Really don't think this is the pandemic that brings about a Mad Max hellscape, so I'll pass on buying a gun, thank you.
I don't think so either, although in that scenario being a regular Joe with a gun probably wouldn't help much.

Suit yourself. It's just a precaution. I guess some people like a little more control of their situation, especially family safety, and some are content being completely reliant on others.

I'm not a doomsday prepper but I think we've all read enough history here to know how quickly things can devolve. Different disasters are going to unfold again and again and that will be the case until we go extinct or evolve into something better.

Anyway, I saw on John Oliver a few years ago that the average 911 response time was around an hour nationwide. What do you think that number could turn into?
DDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #45
Friday

It's turning into a nightmare. Just keeps getting worse. It was barely on anyone's radar during Christmas. Everyone was just enjoying themselves and it was just some news item that occurred on the other side of the globe. Even just a few weeks ago, people reasoned that it was relatively small. But, now literally everything's shutting down. Even if you're not as scared of the virus, it certainly is disrupting every day life.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #46
Satriales
Regular

Ive seen enough behavior in stores the last couple of days to finally get the solar panels for our cabin in the woods. This aint the Big One but Im not begrudging anyone prepping for the next one anymore. Whatever that means to you, go for it. Be it go-bag or home defense.

Like in every movie, it will be the crazy paranoids we mocked that were ahead of the curve. Its a low probability scenario, but this is nuts and its not even all that Black Swan-y of an event. (Though part of the current governments response has nudged it in that direction, it seems)
Satriales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #47
TigerFang

Regardless of what great heights various civilizations may sometimes reach, they fall far more quickly than they rise. We evolve, then devolve. That seems to be the cycle of human behavior on this planet. Im going planet-hopping for a better world in which to live. Vetted Canadians are welcome to come along.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #48
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
The COVID-19 virus lives about nine hours on a surface, and lives longest on metals, Im told.
This was correct at the time it was written not so long ago, but is incorrect information now.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #49
Friday

If you look at the behavior in stores, people have no regard for each other. Sure, some people are still nice. But, there are a lot of cutting in line, fights, and snatching up everything in sight at the expense of everyone else. It's like the Popeye sandwich fights times 100. It's distressing to see society devolve that quickly. You can't even ignore it anymore since almost every sector of society is disrupted.

Also, there's a little confusion about how it's transmitted. They say wipe everything down, but then not get close to people, so that means it's also airborne? And if the infected person is breathing out those particles, wouldn't it be in the air for people to walk right into or be next to. I looked at the space between people and they were closer than 6 feet. People do not realize how fair 6 feet is.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #50
Northbank
User

"A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." Agent K, MiB.
Northbank is offline   Reply With Quote