Best months to go out with a spec screenplays?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best months to go out with a spec screenplays?

Are there best(or worst months). Sure, December/January seem like terrible times as the biz shuts down. But are there other 'gotcha' months to avoid? Do people vacation in summer or run out of money in the fall?

Re: Best months to go out with a spec screenplays?

january is actually a great time, in teh weeks before sundance. then, after that to early may. not in summer. august - dec. some places with fiscal years that end in dec may be closed or prime depending on how much $ they have left.

Comment

I don't know if there's a good time.

January after Sundance ends and September tend to be the times when the most specs go out, but that can be a mixed blessing. Obviously there's some logic to that (decisionmakers back from vacation) but the flip side is that some of those weeks, the number of scripts going out is insane. I seem to recall at one point my agent suggesting we wait a week or two because she was expecting upwards of 20 specs to go out that week, which isn't the most favorable environment.

Comment

The month you have a fantastic, couldn't-be-better spec screenplay finished.

Comment

Without actually knowing each individual's and company's plans, it's impossible to tell what months are "good months" and what months are "bad months." Lots of people take vacations in July, but there are also tons in June and August. Some execs go to Sundance, Toronto, Cannes, etc., but just as many stay in the office (and almost all of their assistants do too).

You can do all the research you want, but I would be willing to bet that any negligible advantage to be gained from sending during a "good month" would be offset by the fact that there is a higher volume of scripts being sent out at the same time by people who have come up with a similar theory about there being an ideal time to send their work. The only time I absolutely would not send a script out is the week between Christmas and New Years, on nights and weekends, or during any other commonly-observed holiday period. And that's more out of respect for their personal time than fear that they won't get the message.

Other that that, it doesn't really matter. The query will be waiting for their return if/when they're out of the office. And people are glued to their smartphones and frequently check in with their offices these days, so they're just as likely to get your message in Berlin as they are in Beverly Hills.

Don't worry about the timing. Or better yet, if you have a rep, let them worry about the timing. Your focus should be on writing the best script you possibly can and sending it out when it's ready. If it's ready in July, you don't have to wait until September to send it out.

Comment

It's also about strategy. If you're going wide, there are definitely bad months when everyone is on vacation. But if you're sending it to select producers, you can do that any time you want. Your rep will know.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

This is a going wide thing. My agent tends to 'follow orders'. He'll give advice...but ultimately it'll be my call.

I have a spec finishing up in July. Looking at past history, July seems to be a quiet month for sales. But like others have said, it's also a quiet month for number of specs going out.

Comment

This is not merely about scripts, but about all kinds of contact you want to make, about jump-starting new projects:

The great majority of people are on vacation on July, just like they are on vacation during Christmas time. You don't want to send anything out during those times. Especially if it's about "going wide". Sending out stuff during holidays makes you feel amateurish, unless you know specifically that those people are not on vacation.

Equally, you don't want to send out stuff just before the two major holidays of the year - July and Christmas. People are hesitant to even familiarize themselves with anything new, as they are trying to wrap up their existing projects. They are actively looking for ways to *not* to do any work. And if they do check what you are offering, they are going to try to actively forget it during the next few weeks. So generally, don't send out anything on the 2nd half of December, or the 2nd half June.

Trying to jumpstart new projects, or sending out scripts, just before the major holidays also makes you seem somewhat amateurish.

Other than that, I don't think it really matters. Early January and early August are both great times to send out something.

Comment

Originally posted by WriterManJimbo View Post
                  This is a going wide thing. My agent tends to 'follow orders'. He'll give advice...but ultimately it'll be my call.

If you trust his advice, take it. It's his job to be connected and know to whom and when it should go out.

You can also check the scoggins report to see when the majority of specs tend to get picked up.
                  If it weren't for people like me, people like you would have nothing to talk about.

Comment

It's funny almost every year in January I have some success with screenwriting, whether it's optioning something, or getting attention from managers, or producers etc. I think in January there is an optimism surrounding new scripts and new talent. Also right around Sundance the industry seems buzzing for new talent and writers with a unique voice. The trick is to keep the momentum going after that...

Of course, a great script should be well-received anytime. This is just my personal experience.

Comment

According to the Scoggin's report the highest spec and pitch sales for 2012 ran from Jan - April (average of 20 per month and April peaking at 26) , then another peak in June(22).
                      If it weren't for people like me, people like you would have nothing to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by WriterManJimbo View Post

I have a spec finishing up in July. Looking at past history, July seems to be a quiet month for sales. But like others have said, it's also a quiet month for number of specs going out.
                        My advice would be to get an agent who's got a clue and not let this one take out your spec if all he does is "follow orders". From July 4 to the end of Yom Kippur is dead. From then till the week before Thanksgiving is good. Then after Sundance till the week before July 4th. That's roughly speaking. A GREAT spec would sell on Christmas Eve or New Year's BTW.

Comment

It's January. Know what that means? The return of spec season is almost upon us. Every year, once everyone gets back from Sundance, they start reading scripts. February through May is usually an intense period of spec activity. Buyers have usually refilled their coffers (new fiscal year) and are ready to pick up some scripts.
                          -Jim Cirile
                          Those aren't my words, so I have no idea how true that quote is, but hopefully, it helps.

Comment

Working...
                          X