When querying, worth mentioning contact at a Paid Cable Network?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When querying, worth mentioning contact at a Paid Cable Network?

I'm about to query a select few reps. In the e-mail, should I mention that I have a close contact at a paid cable network, and they'll take a meeting with me to hear about my pilot? The pilot is written specifically for paid cable.

Thanks

Re: When querying, worth mentioning contact at a Paid Cable Network?

Originally posted by Filmmagician View Post
    I'm about to query a select few reps. In the e-mail, should I mention that I have a close contact at a paid cable network, and they'll take a meeting with me to hear about my pilot? The pilot is written specifically for paid cable.

Thanks
    i dunno. they're reps. they already have contacts as part of their job description. maybe something to bring up in the meeting if they like the script

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      i dunno. they're reps. they already have contacts as part of their job description. maybe something to bring up in the meeting if they like the script
      Yah. Good point. Thanks Joe

Comment

No, I doubt that would help unfortunately. One potential meeting does not really interest most reps.

What would help is if your close contact read and loved your pilot and reached out to an agent or manager on your behalf (referral). Even if they didn't/couldn't buy it, the fact that someone in the industry loved your writing and likes you enough to contact them. That would go a long way.

Good luck!
        http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kfu3000 View Post
          No, I doubt that would help unfortunately. One potential meeting does not really interest most reps.

What would help is if your close contact read and loved your pilot and reached out to an agent or manager on your behalf (referral). Even if they didn't/couldn't buy it, the fact that someone in the industry loved your writing and likes you enough to contact them. That would go a long way.

Good luck!
          My contact did read it, and liked it a lot. He would pass it to the right people at the network. He can set up a meeting for me to talk about it / pitch it to the higher ups. I guess it'd be a lot easier to get a rep after a cable co. gets excited about it.
          Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Filmmagician View Post
            Probably not.

Anything short of "my last project was picked up by ..." doesn't mean that much. Getting meetings, having a few contacts, doesn't mean anything. What does mean something is if your contacts specifically refer your script to the manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
              Probably not.

Anything short of "my last project was picked up by ..." doesn't mean that much. Getting meetings, having a few contacts, doesn't mean anything. What does mean something is if your contacts specifically refer your script to the manager.
              Yeah it's starting to make sense now. Wasn't sure if all things being equal, that might be a bit of an advantage or whatever. I'll forego mentioning it. One other thing just popped into mind, is it good or bad to mention that I just left my former agent and am now hunting around again? Or is that moot?
              Thanks in advance, Ron.

Comment

I think mentioning that you've been repped is at least a tiny help - someone else vouched for you.

And agree with the sentiment that the smart play is to go to your contact, say you're looking for a new agent, and ask if they have any recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                X