Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blcklst score - 7. Now what?

My script recently had some positive news like semi finalist at scriptapalooza and a couple other competitions, so I entered it on Blcklst and it got a review of 7. What does this mean? Not good enough, right? Should I pull it down?
    Last edited by sidgrey; 08-21-2016, 11:19 AM.

Re: Blcklst score - 7. Now what?

depending on how hooky the logline/premise is, you should get some reads.

7s were good enough for my pilot to be featured on the Top 10 front page for the month, which led to 3 or 4 industry downloads.

but compared to an 8+, maybe not much more than that

Comment

Re: BLACKLIST score - 7. Now what?

Originally posted by sidgrey View Post
      My script recently had some positive news like semi finalist at scriptapalooza and a couple other competitions, so I entered it on Blcklst and it got a review of 7. What does this mean? Not good enough, right? Should I pull it down?
      It means it's probably not a good idea to give someone the power to assign an arbitrary numeric value to your work. Creative writing doesn't neatly break down into numeric categories unless one sets specific criteria. Even then, it's still subjective.

The only ratings that matter regarding scripts in Hollywood are: Pass, Consider or Recommend. The number system used by the Blacklist is totally fake. Ratings often depend more on who the reader is than the quality of the writing. One person's 5 is another person's 8.

The fake numbering system used by the Blacklist is only there to trick writers into thinking they're actually paying for something quantitative and real, when in fact it's all subjective.

What's the difference between a 3 rating and a 5 ? In order for the Blacklist rating system to have any value at all it needs to have specific and set criteria for each numerical value. For example maybe a 1 rating would mean something like- no formatting, no coherent story and no structure. And maybe 2 would be some like- proper format, but no coherent story and no structure, etc. etc.

Not suggesting the examples given be the exact criteria used by Blacklist, they need to figure out their own AND MAKE IT PUBLIC. that way when people get a 7 they won't have to ask what it means? With specific criteria attached to each numeric value, the answer would be readily available and above all somewhat CONSISTENT. Simply look at your number score and read the criteria next to it. As it stands people are being ripped off as the pay for numeric values that mean absolutely nothing, especially values 1-7 and they're left asking, 'I got x-number, what does that mean?'.

Comment

Everything that MGwriter said was absolutely pitch perfect as to one of my problems with BL. That and you have no idea who is downloading your script.

Comment

Originally posted by sidgrey View Post
          You need at least three reviews to get a consensus. So I'm afraid you'll have to blow another 150 bucks.
          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

I sold a 7. Get it out to people, sometimes you just need a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
              I sold a 7. Get it out to people, sometimes you just need a champion.
              Wow, congrats! Can you be more specific with help on how to get it out? What did you do? Im a newbie and dont know much. Also did you just do one evaluation? Thanks!

Comment

I did two and it got to the top 10 thriller list which was easier back then because the service was just beginning. Then an anonymous pro downloaded it and gave it a 2 and it fell down. Anyway it gave me one more line of cred to put in the pitch.

I don't know how much it weighed on the sale. Someone needs to read it and love it.

I sent it to a guy I knew from a previous workplace who had a job at a small production company. He never read it but his colleague found it under his desk. And so it goes.

There's no one way in and the only sensible advice is mingle with people who want to work in the movies. Sooner or later one of you will make it and draw the rest in. I knew the guy for 5 years before he got a job at that prodco.

and in the meantime.... you write

Comment

I sent it to a guy I knew from a previous workplace who had a job at a small production company. He never read it but his colleague found it under his desk. And so it goes.
                  Ha! That is funny. Was the script under a leg to make the desk level?

Congratulations.

I read a script by Goldmund several years ago. He is a good writer.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                    I did two and it got to the top 10 thriller list which was easier back then because the service was just beginning. Then an anonymous pro downloaded it and gave it a 2 and it fell down. Anyway it gave me one more line of cred to put in the pitch.

I don't know how much it weighed on the sale. Someone needs to read it and love it.

There's no one way in and the only sensible advice is mingle with people who want to work in the movies. Sooner or later one of you will make it and draw the rest in. I knew the guy for 5 years before he got a job at that prodco.

and in the meantime.... you write
                    My first option came from a studio exec picking my script up off of a casting agent friend of mine's desk waiting for her to finish a session so they could go to dinner. He read the whole script. She was a friend who asked to read it, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. He called me the next day. It never got made, but it started a chain reaction from there. You never know.

Comment

To share my well-rated experience: I received an 8 and a 7 for my 1-hour pilot. I was then announced as a winner of the inaugural ATX Blacklist TV writer competition. My name was in Variety Magazine (that was pretty cool, I have to admit). The competition win meant that executives from big prod co's (FX, Sony, Carlton Cuse, and two others) would read my material in consideration for TV staffing. In the end, I received 9 pro downloads and not a single call or email. Not hating, just stating the facts of my experience. Take it for what you will.

John Lambert

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/atx-...rs-1201790632/

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
                        To share my well-rated experience: I received an 8 and a 7 for my 1-hour pilot. I was then announced as a winner of the inaugural ATX Blacklist TV writer competition. My name was in Variety Magazine (that was pretty cool, I have to admit). The competition win meant that executives from big prod co's (FX, Sony, Carlton Cuse, and two others) would read my material in consideration for TV staffing. In the end, I received 9 pro downloads and not a single call or email. Not hating, just stating the facts of my experience. Take it for what you will.

John Lambert

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/atx-...rs-1201790632/
                        I have to echo what John's saying. And huge congrats to you, John, good for you!

Try not to focus on the score, but rather the evaluation itself. Seven isn't bad. I received 8s and 9s out of the gate on my Tracker Spec and also received 7s and it was still read at and considered at several major studios and prodcos as sent by my manager.

What you have to keep in mind is that it's all opinion and some will agree and others won't agree at all. The goal is to find the one person that loves it some much that they will stand behind it.

100 downloads doesn't mean anything if no one wants to make it. What matters is the 1 that does. And sometimes that takes a while to find that person.

And if I can offer some recently learned advice-- don't get too excited about someone expressing a lot of interest, even if they have a reputable name behind them, because until it's inked, it's not a deal.

Good luck, and send out queries. Keep pushing your product. Never give up.
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                          I have to echo what John's saying. And huge congrats to you, John, good for you!

Try not to focus on the score, but rather the evaluation itself. Seven isn't bad. I received 8s and 9s out of the gate on my Tracker Spec and also received 7s and it was still read at and considered at several major studios and prodcos as sent by my manager.

What you have to keep in mind is that it's all opinion and some will agree and others won't agree at all. The goal is to find the one person that loves it some much that they will stand behind it.

100 downloads doesn't mean anything if no one wants to make it. What matters is the 1 that does. And sometimes that takes a while to find that person.

And if I can offer some recently learned advice-- don't get too excited about someone expressing a lot of interest, even if they have a reputable name behind them, because until it's inked, it's not a deal.

Good luck, and send out queries. Keep pushing your product. Never give up.
                          Well, Jon Spaiht's Passengers also had a huge budget and was pushed around for years.. but now it's finally being made at a budget of $120 million. Why can't yours be the same?

I did like the Passengers script though I found one part of the ending too unbelievable... Anyway, you have a link where I can read your script? Care to share it?

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
                            Well, Jon Spaiht's Passengers also had a huge budget and was pushed around for years.. but now it's finally being made at a budget of $120 million. Why can't yours be the same?
                            Hers can't be the same 'cause Spaihts is a big time screenwriter and she's just trying to break in.
                            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                              Hers can't be the same 'cause Spaihts is a big time screenwriter and she's just trying to break in.
                              I thought Spaihts was also a nobody screenwriter till he wrote Passengers, then it opened doors for him to Ridley Scott and Prometheus?

Comment

Working...
                              X