Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
25 O'Clock
User

Default Re: This Catch 22 is driving me crazy.

Not to be a bummer, but you can't find a more more difficult sub-genre, historical fiction, to break into for a writer. When they're made, they're "prestige projects" and thus, an A-lister would get these assignments -- your Bill Nicholsons, Tony Kushners (see Lincholn), John Logans. It's just not a genre that they put up&comers in b/c it's the most difficult genre to get a greenlight -- you need a Spielberg to get the Lincoln proj going. Or a Ridley Scott for Gladiator.

I just don't see your typical late 20's-early 30's male manager, hopping up & down for this type of material -- unless, somehow you can sneak in homosexual jokes and/or fart jokes (just kidding, although many historical peops are just like us now so... ).

Not to be discouraging, but me thinks that's what the problem is. But yes, if you want to proceed -- you need some form of rep, perhaps a lawyer would fit the bill. Or a manager that really believes in your long-term potential -- but you have to be an amazing writer, like the top, to really get something going I'm afraid.
25 O'Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
writer0825

What do you all think about asking said company that's interested in doing business with you what agents/managers they work with a lot? You might have better luck getting someone on board that they work with. (I ask this question not just for Johnny's situation, but in general in this type of situation).

Just a thought/question.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
Johnnycomelately
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer0825 View Post
What do you all think about asking said company that's interested in doing business with you what agents/managers they work with a lot? You might have better luck getting someone on board that they work with. (I ask this question not just for Johnny's situation, but in general in this type of situation).

Just a thought/question.
That's an interesting idea. I may try that. I have an entertainment atty., so I'm hoping she'll agree to submit this, but in the meantime I'm still looking for an agent and/or manager.

Thank you!
Johnnycomelately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Johnnycomelately
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 O'Clock View Post
Not to be a bummer, but you can't find a more more difficult sub-genre, historical fiction, to break into for a writer. When they're made, they're "prestige projects" and thus, an A-lister would get these assignments -- your Bill Nicholsons, Tony Kushners (see Lincholn), John Logans. It's just not a genre that they put up&comers in b/c it's the most difficult genre to get a greenlight -- you need a Spielberg to get the Lincoln proj going. Or a Ridley Scott for Gladiator.
Well, the prodco that wants to see the script works with A-list directors on big projects all the time, which is why I contacted them.

Having the rights to the two novels helps, I hope.

But once they see it they could hate the whole thing, so I'm not going to get excited. Just keep working.

Thanks for your input, though. I appreciate the perspective.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #15
kidcharlemagne

Johnny--use an entertainment lawyer.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
Johnnycomelately
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcharlemagne View Post
Johnny--use an entertainment lawyer.
I've contacted the entertainment atty. that negotiated the book options for me. I've worked with her for several years, but not thru her firm, only as a "side client."

I don't know if she will/can talk to them on my behalf. Haven't heard back from her yet, but do have an agent who said she'd call me today after she got the detailsl on my situation last night.

Keep your fingers crossed, and thanks again for all the input

And I know everything will more than likely add up to zero, but it's way better than nothing
Old 03-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
kidcharlemagne

Most prod. co.'s will accept a submission via a lawyer (if they are interested in reading the script).

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote