• Show
Clear All

• There's a whole lot of food for thought here

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...XQED498DeKMzXQ
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Re: There's a whole lot of food for thought here

interesting.

i have a 17 year-old daughter and have tried for years to get her to go to the movies with me and she's gone maybe once. she doesn't even watch traditional TV. i woke up early one weekend morning to find her sitting on her "Wiggles" chair watching Pandorum-- yeah that scary zombie-cannible movie with Denis Quiad-- and said aren't you scared? she was like 8. she thought it was cool.

it really started with Once Upon a Time on Netflix and she's never looked back. all the content she watches is on youtube or Netflix, exclusively. she's been hooked on Grey's Anatomy for years.

i wonder if changing the price of tickets to lower budget films might make a difference. i mean, shelling out $15 a ticket for a drama is tough for me b/c i love a lot of action and suspense.

the theater near me does half price Tuesdays special prices on food, Date Night where you get half price on tickets and wine, and some kind of a discount on food when you go to a film after 10pm. smart.

thanks for posting Southern_land, it was interesting to see what some people in the industry feel the future holds.
    FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      interesting.

i have a 17 year-old daughter and have tried for years to get her to go to the movies with me and she's gone maybe once. she doesn't even watch traditional TV. i woke up early one weekend morning to find her sitting on her "Wiggles" chair watching Pandorum-- yeah that scary zombie-cannible movie with Denis Quiad-- and said aren't you scared? she was like 8. she thought it was cool.

it really started with Once Upon a Time on Netflix and she's never looked back. all the content she watches is on youtube or Netflix, exclusively. she's been hooked on Grey's Anatomy for years.

i wonder if changing the price of tickets to lower budget films might make a difference. i mean, shelling out $15 a ticket for a drama is tough for me b/c i love a lot of action and suspense.

the theater near me does half price Tuesdays special prices on food, Date Night where you get half price on tickets and wine, and some kind of a discount on food when you go to a film after 10pm. smart.

thanks for posting Southern_land, it was interesting to see what some people in the industry feel the future holds.
      FA4
      Curious, did you take her to the movies when she was younger? I take mine a lot and they love it. They also watch YouTube and Netflix at home, but so far haven't lost their love of going to the theater. Just wondering if there's a point where all that changes (I hope not!)

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
        Curious, did you take her to the movies when she was younger? I take mine a lot and they love it. They also watch YouTube and Netflix at home, but so far haven't lost their love of going to the theater. Just wondering if there's a point where all that changes (I hope not!)
        yes, we used to go to movies when she was younger. animations or flicks like Narnia and Harry Potter, mainly due to age appropriateness. we also went to live performances.

she never liked princess stories or super hero movies. i mean, she never goes to movies with friends either. she did used to watch RHBH with me. haha. as soon as she figured out how to navigate Netflix, it was over.

i'm planning on bribing her and her girlfriend with free tickets and food in the "Look" theater that has a "dine in" feature.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Took the three year old to see TS4 for his birthday which was his first time. It seemed to be a far less traumatic experience than the inexplicable decision of my mother taking a three year old me to see E.T. for my first time.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            interesting.

FA4
            We were having a family night on netflix, sudden halfway through 'something' my 16 year old stepdaughter askes "can you stop for a minute?"

We do, she plops her phone in front of us, plays something that appeared to be like an episode of Seinfeld at 3x speed, witty ironic repartee with sudden cuts and zooms. Suddenly it was over.

Then she says, "cool eh? Continue." Languid wave of the hand.

but one thing I've learnt (by suddenly having half grown kids) is their ability to binge watch is phenomenal. I'm pretty damn good but 3-4 episodes is about my limit. Step daughter (who hates movies cos they're too long) can spend an evening binging a entire TV series. In the past few months we've chewed through Good place, Lucifer, Grimm, Some zombie who's name eludes me and are now several series into the 100. I don't know if even Netflixs production schedule can keep up with that.

This recently has set me thinking, is it time to abandon the movie three act structure for the 3-5 episode movie structure?
            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
              ...This recently has set me thinking, is it time to abandon the movie three act structure for the 3-5 episode movie structure?
              At least from my experience, I don't think that the gatekeepers out there are in any rush to abandon anything... but who says they're a wise barometer of things.

I've tried to promote the 'franchises' of features that I've written (a duology, a trilogy, and one that has five parts, and counting), with very little reaction. I've even formatted an alternative version of them as pilots+episodes+bible (the fiver is thus 10 episodes, so most of a full first season) with virtually no response.

Oh well. The stuff's here for whenever they wanna look at it.

Comment

Working...
              X